VSG Revision?

Options
HMD7703
HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
Just curious if you (or anyone you know) had a VSG Revision?
Would you consider going through a revision? Why or why not?

Just curious.

*I had VSG on 6/6/11 and eat fairly normal.

Replies

• rachellangdon1974
    rachellangdon1974 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have considered it, I had my sleeve surgery almost 2 years ago and am thinking it needs to be smaller, or something. I have lost 70 pounds with 55 more to go and haven't lost a thing in over 6 months which is why I started mfp. I also need to go back to eating low carb.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's a good question. I can actually eat fairly normal, as in what normal-weight people eat for a normal serving of anything. So, like 4-5 ounces of meat, 1/2-1 cup of cooked veggies and maybe a few bites of starch. I try to stick to protein, fruits and veggies with rare processed carbs.

I am actually fine with the amount I can eat. I am happy that I don't have a super tiny sleeve, because I do enjoy food and my sleeve lets me enjoy eating but doesn't let me overindulge. I also dump if I eat excessive amounts of sweets/fats, which helps me stay in line.

I don't know that I would consider a revision. I have tracked pretty much every bite that I've put into my mouth since 3 months before surgery. I have worked out consistently 3-6 days a week since before surgery. I lift heavy weights and do HIIT as well as yoga on a regular basis and worked very hard while I was losing to maintain my lean mass (lean mass = metabolism). I maintain on 1800-2000 calories, but I never did an extended 800 calorie diet, either.

I'm very open about my surgery to everyone who asks, and when someone asks my opinion, my stock answer is, "WLS will guarantee you 6 months of extremely fast weight loss, but it does absolutely nothing to help you maintain. Creating healthy eating habits and working out are the only way you will maintain."

I know there are some people who have lost very little weight post-sleeve, and I really feel for them. If that were me, and I knew that I had religiously followed all of my surgeon's rules, tracked everything I ate and was working out and doing all I could, but I still wasn't losing, I would possibly consider a bypass or DS. As trite and oft-repeated as it is, your sleeve is only a tool, and if you left it in the tool box while you went out and ate whatever you wanted instead of following the rules, a revision probably won't help you.

Also, I would highly recommend long-term counseling with a therapist who specializes in disordered eating for anyone who is considering WLS or who is struggling after WLS. It was immensely helpful for me and I know I wouldn't have been this successful without it.
  • HMD7703
    Options
    Great responses, thank you. I speaking of a revision... meaning, to get it tightened up. There is a Rose procedure that can bring back the integrity of the original Sleeve. I am not convinced that I "need" it, as much as I "want" it. Mainly because I miss having restriction.

Like Rachell, I find myself needing to go back to a low carb diet to see any loss.

Not a big deal.. I am happy with my loss overall.
    :flowerforyou:
  • JillyInAZ
    JillyInAZ Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Also, I would highly recommend long-term counseling with a therapist who specializes in disordered eating for anyone who is considering WLS or who is struggling after WLS. It was immensely helpful for me and I know I wouldn't have been this successful without it.

Ohhh so true to the above. I also agree on the "6 mo of fast loss and then mental after that" There is NO WAY that I'd have had the success I've had without ongoing therapy (group and private for me) (with a psychcologist who specializes in obesity/overeating/weight) for the past 3 years. I feel positive that it is the only thing that has helped me weather the various stalls and slow progress.
  • mistydk
    mistydk Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have heard of a few people being re-sleeved or having it trimmed. The rose procedure is supposed to be for gastric bypass patients and it's NOT very good. Most of them experience a small weight loss and it usually comes back on pretty fast. The people I've heard of being re-sleeved typically had gotten super huge sleeves back when sleeves first started. A few other ones got botched sleeves, like their surgeons didn't do it properly and they got really big sleeves or had an hourglass shaped sleeve instead of a banana sleeve. So they got re-sleeved. Re-sleeving if you already have a small sleeve is pretty dangerous because the risk of leaks is higher the second time around. However, if you can find an experienced surgeon, you can get a re-sleeve. I know several of them went to Mexico to get re-sleeved. Some of the surgeons down there are really experienced, depends on who you get.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I recently went back to protein shakes for 2 out of 3 meals for several days. I really felt the difference when I went back to eating, as in, my sleeve felt much tighter, more like it did in the beginning. My doctor explained to me that he removed all the stretchy part of my stomach, so I can't restretch, but that eventually I would be able to eat more naturally (as in not because it stretched out). But because my weight loss is very inconsistent and has been for months despite staying within calorie goals and exercising 4-6 times a week, I plan on doing the liquid meal replacement again. I was sleeved almost 2 years ago and although I've lost a lot of weight, I still have about 80 pounds to go and the fact that it's now so slow is really frustrating.
  • ggrn955
    ggrn955 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful post! Thank you.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I don't think the rose is available for sleeve patients.. I think it's for GBP patients only.

As for revision. I've wondered if I need the DS procedure. I REALLY don't want to go that route... If I can get and stay under 220 pounds without it then that's what I'm going to do (though I'd ideally like to get down to 150, I wouldn't have DS just to reach and maintain that ideal goal)

If over the long term if I can't eat a 1200ish calorie a day diet and maintain under 220 pounds then yes, I'll consider the DS... but I'm hoping to avoid that!
  • HMD7703
    Options
    I recently went back to protein shakes for 2 out of 3 meals for several days. I really felt the difference when I went back to eating, as in, my sleeve felt much tighter, more like it did in the beginning. My doctor explained to me that he removed all the stretchy part of my stomach, so I can't restretch, but that eventually I would be able to eat more naturally (as in not because it stretched out). But because my weight loss is very inconsistent and has been for months despite staying within calorie goals and exercising 4-6 times a week, I plan on doing the liquid meal replacement again. I was sleeved almost 2 years ago and although I've lost a lot of weight, I still have about 80 pounds to go and the fact that it's now so slow is really frustrating.

I am thinking about going back to protein shakes for the majority of my meals as well. I don't mind the shakes, and I have learned to make some very interesting shakes since my VSG.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    At Kaiser the nut. told me people come in all the time saying thier sleeve was stretched and they wanted to have a revision. I don't know how they test it, but she said very rarely had the sleeve stretched. Most of the time when they started analysing how a person ate they found they grazed so they could fit all the food in.

Also, when we had our surgery the first time, we lost the hunger sensation for the first year. I've heard that the second proceedure doesn't do that. You stil feel hungry.

My sleeve is not what makes me sucessful now, it's the lessons I've learned and put in place to eat healthier, and exercise.
  • happyandhealthy4life
    Options
    Good discussion! I too find that I can eat more and more and wish I still had the restricition I did at 3 months out. I had stopped losing but had also stopped tracking and exercising. Now that I am tracking it is coming off again.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,705 Member
    Options
    My sleeve is only a month old. One of the things that most concerns me is getting into old habits, losing the benefits of the sleeve, and gaining the weight back. Thank you to all of you for so much to think about and watch for. This is an excellent topic.
  • mitzvahmom78
    mitzvahmom78 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new to MFP and strongly considering VSG. I have a few questions for anyone who is willing to answer:
    What is DS?
    How did you choose sleeve over lap band?
    When your weight loss slowed down post-sleeve, was it like trying to lose weight before your surgery? Or more difficult than that?
    Is "6 months of extremely fast weight loss" typical? For some reason I thought it was a year.
    Any advice is welcome!
  • HMD7703
    Options
    My key notes.. just as an FYI to better understand my POV and questions/concerns:
    - I never lost my hunger sensation>>> LOL!! I wish! I really do wish. Granted, I was in so much pain that I didn't want to eat, but never lost it. My tummy growled and gurgled a lot!
    - Capacity? Stretching? Each Dr uses a sizing tool to make your Sleeve, and these tools vary in size. Some DR's use smaller sizing tools around 30 gauge while other uses up to a 40 gauge. This is why some people have a much smaller capacity - even a year or two later. I can most definitely eat more than I could at 6 months out. It has nothing to do with grazing or munching. A single sitting and I can eat a foot long Subway sandwich. This is where knowing how to control yourself comes into play. (Or when people say "the sleeve is a tool", this is when you really need to focus on that.)
    - Discipline: I was a Soldier. I know what I should be doing. Doesn't make me a bad person for falling back into old habits. And I definitely do not see myself any less successful. I am pretty darn proud of myself. Here I am 2 years later, still actively researching my VSG, documenting my experience and talking to others (which helps me, as well). I am fully aware that I will always have to monitor myself, my actions and eating habits.
    - Acceptance: I accept that some of you are better, more determined, stricter, etc but I mean no harm by posting my qualms, downfalls, worries/concerns etc. I use MFP as my sounding board to learn, to document and keep pushing forward. So if you are a newbie, please do not be discouraged when you read about certain post op topics. And if you are a Sleeve Veteran that looks down on those falling behind, just remember that some of us are just a little slow on the uptake. LOL.

Everyone has a very different journey... some of us just take longer to perfect it!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    My key notes.. just as an FYI to better understand my POV and questions/concerns:
    - I never lost my hunger sensation>>> LOL!! I wish! I really do wish. Granted, I was in so much pain that I didn't want to eat, but never lost it. My tummy growled and gurgled a lot!
    - Capacity? Stretching? Each Dr uses a sizing tool to make your Sleeve, and these tools vary in size. Some DR's use smaller sizing tools around 30 gauge while other uses up to a 40 gauge. This is why some people have a much smaller capacity - even a year or two later. I can most definitely eat more than I could at 6 months out. It has nothing to do with grazing or munching. A single sitting and I can eat a foot long Subway sandwich. This is where knowing how to control yourself comes into play. (Or when people say "the sleeve is a tool", this is when you really need to focus on that.)
    - Discipline: I was a Soldier. I know what I should be doing. Doesn't make me a bad person for falling back into old habits. And I definitely do not see myself any less successful. I am pretty darn proud of myself. Here I am 2 years later, still actively researching my VSG, documenting my experience and talking to others (which helps me, as well). I am fully aware that I will always have to monitor myself, my actions and eating habits.
    - Acceptance: I accept that some of you are better, more determined, stricter, etc but I mean no harm by posting my qualms, downfalls, worries/concerns etc. I use MFP as my sounding board to learn, to document and keep pushing forward. So if you are a newbie, please do not be discouraged when you read about certain post op topics. And if you are a Sleeve Veteran that looks down on those falling behind, just remember that some of us are just a little slow on the uptake. LOL.

Everyone has a very different journey... some of us just take longer to perfect it!

This was a great subject to post! Everyone's journey is going to be unique to them, but your point of continuing to ask questions and explore different ways of doing things 2 years out is excellent! I too am 2 years out, still have about 80 pounds to go, have had sporadic results for the last 9-10 months and am, like you, looking at all the options, all the different ways to do this, etc. If we don't keep asking questions, talking about works or doesn't, we are going to stagnate, probably regain and most definately miss out on some great advice and knowledge.

But most importantly, I want to thank you for your service to our country! God bless you soldier!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

I totally agree with you on these points. In fact, even though I think most bariatric surgeons have good intentions, and WLS is a great TOOL for people who have struggled with obesity and compulsive eating for a long time, I do think that the whole one-to-two-years-out phase is never, never mentioned at pre-op seminars or during pre-op education. No one tells you that eventually you'll be able to eat fairly normal amounts. Most dietitians and surgeons focus on educating about the initial pre-op losing phase and the benefits of losing weight. No one really talks much about the effort required for maintenance. I think this is true about bypass as well.

I think that's why so many people regain -- most of us were really good at losing, even before our surgeries. But then again, most of us really sucked at maintaining, which is why we had surgery in the first place.

I do understand where you're coming from, OP, because even though I have rock-solid habits (working out, logging, changing the way I think about food), I still fear re-gain more than anything, because I wouldn't want a DS and there's really nothing else out there, so if I screw this up, I'm destined to be fat forever, and I really love being thin!

I am still hungry and I still love food. I will always be a compulsive eater and I will have to manage that aspect of myself forever, which is kind of like perpetually grocery shopping with a demanding 3-year old. Counseling really did help me to look at food in a more normal way and to differentiate the compulsive thought patterns from the normal eater thought patterns, and I have some mental tools to keep my compulsive tendencies in check.

I have absolutely no regrets about having my sleeve -- it was the right decision for me and I am thrilled with my results and my life right now. I do think people considering any form of WLS need to know that there is a lot of effort required to maintain weight loss, no matter how you lose it. WLS is not a one-time solution to the problem of obesity, it really is a tool that works extremely well for what it's designed for -- weight LOSS. It works less well for maintenance, so it's important to learn the same maintenance habits that non-WLS people use to keep their weight off.

OP -- you look fabulous! I do understand why you asked your question, and it is a very relevant question for all of us to consider.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,705 Member
    Options
    I've wondered if they used a 1200 cal lo-carb diet for pre-op deliberately. Because it's healthy? To kick addictive carbs? Both/More?

My NUT said no more bread 4me cuz it's a trigger for me (v.true). Lo-carb is "on the wagon" and slip ups are hard to recover from. Easier to go cold turkey (my inner self is saying, "ohhh, none at all?) Need to say "No" sometime and it's easier now than later.

Are the WLS programs helping to both 1) get the initial weight off and 2) teach how to keep it off?
    By making us feel good when we start losing?
    By losing enough so we can exercise?
    By avoiding carbs for those addicted to them?
    By eating a lot of protein to satiate us and give us energy?
    By valuing our investment: "not wanting to lose what we worked so hard to earn"?
    By introducing u to food tracking & community support and advice like on MFP?

I haven't lost hunger either (VSG 06/13) and have even found myself tempted already (bread of course). Am very afraid of gaining it back*. Am trying so hard to learn how to most easily avoid that. Know there will be ups & downs and appreciate all the shared experiences from you who have blazed this trail. Thank you so much.

(*Am also afraid of not losing in the first place / slow loss & stalls despite staying on track & exercising.)
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Myownsunshine said it right, "it really is a tool that works extremely well for what it's designed for -- weight LOSS. It works less well for maintenance, so it's important to learn the same maintenance habits that non-WLS people use to keep their weight off.". I never thought of it like this. I just know that now that I have lost most of the weight it goes back to the habits I should have had before and I wouldn't have ended up at 314lbs.
  • mistydk
    mistydk Posts: 15 Member
    Options

I have to say, I would probably be in big trouble if I could sit and eat an entire footlong subway sub in ONE sitting. I would be having a hard time. I'm not going to lie at all. I am 18 months post op and I can only eat ONE HALF OF A SIX INCH SUBWAY sandwich when I'm having a "hungry day" and on less hungry days I can only eat 1/3 of a 6 inch subway sub and this is with taking the top part of the bread off. I never eat both the top and bottom bread at the same time because for me it's just too much bread/carbs. I eat Subway once a month because my family likes to go there about that often. That is the capacity I can eat at 18 months post op. This is the same capacity I've had since somewhere around the 6-7 months post op. I am not sure how well I'd be doing with a much larger capacity. I follow all the rules still and I guess that would help if I had a big sleeve capacity. I eat protein first, followed by veggies or complex carbs. I rarely eat simple carbs. I think that would help me out if I had a big sleeve. So I can understand why you are worried about your sleeve size. But you've done VERY well. I mean, you look great in your photo. Obviously you have changed to a healthy lifestyle.

Want to add that even with my small sleeve I CAN eat a lot of crackers or chips. I've eaten some Wheat Thins a few times and I could eat a LOT of them. I had to throw them out. I can also eat a lot of chips and salsa at a restaurant. I learned that one night out and quickly figured out I'd better just order a salad with some protein or an all protein appetizer ahead of any meal I get because I am tempted by chips and salsa! So even with a small sleeve I could be gaining weight back if I were eating a lot of sliders. Those sliders can be the weight gain of any sleever no matter how big or small. I did have a small size sleeve. My surgeon used a 32F sleeve and goes tightly against the bougie. I honestly DID want a small sleeve. I figured if I were going for it I might as well get the smallest I could safely get. Not complaining one bit. No complications so I'm happy with it.

EDITED TO ADD I NEVER LOST MY HUNGER COMPLETELY EVEN WITH MY SMALL SLEEVE! I just wanted you to know you are NOT alone in that. My hunger is MUCH LESS than pre-op, but I definitely still have physical hunger. Some people lose it and they are lucky. However, even those who lose their physical hunger struggle with "head hunger" or wanting to snack out of depression or boredom or what have you. I know a lady who swears at 4 years post op she has ZERO physical hunger but she still snacks and has head hunger issues where she sees something and just wants some for the hell of it.
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm still happy with the restriction my sleeve gives me. I'm just over 14 months out from surgery and I can only eat about a cup of food at a sitting. Popcorn, however, seems to be in an unlimited quantity. Too bad it mooshes down when we chew it. We have "Popcorn Tuesday" at work and a small bag is fifty cents. I limit myself to that one little bag of the "good" popcorn. If I want popcorn at any other time, I have a box of the mini bags that are 100 calories. It's a decent quantity and tastes good. (I think it's the Orville Reddenbacher Smart Pop.) Hmmmm... I don't think popcorn filled me up pre-surgery either.