Tracking exercise - is it a good idea?

Options
stratusphr
stratusphr Posts: 87 Member
This is JUST my thoughts. I do NOT track any exercise, not any "movement" at all - I have my settings set at sedentary. Anything I do, from sprinting up the stairs to tossing around my weighted ball......do not 'officially' count. It's like icing on the cake. I do NOT want to be given additional calories. I have one friend who an exercise guru (you know who you are). LoL She burns 50,000 calories a day. Ok, not really, but she is an exercise maniac, and it works for her. I envy her dedication. Her "allowed calories" are high, actually they are higher than she actually eats. She is also maintaining, she is not trying to lose more weight. In my humble opinion, lower calories are the key for most of us when we are trying to lose weight. I don't see how someone can eat over a thousand calories during their honeymoon period and lose to their full potential. Maybe men can, I don't know about them, but for us girls, I don't see how.

Just tonight, at the Baylor Plano support group, the PhD doctor said calories will be well under 1000 while you are losing. He was doing questions and answers, someone asked what they can expect to eat, calorie wise. I cannot imagine doing enough exercise to balance out upping my calories from 1300 by 200 -500 calories, I am certain the scale would start inching up.

This is just something for everyone to think about. I know everyone is different, but I'd hate for anyone to miss out on the opportunity to lose as much as they can during the first year. I'd put exercise at zero and re-adjust the calories.

Replies

• wendympage
    wendympage Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. I have logged activity in the past and when you see the calorie balance jump back up there it kind of messes with my already messed up head. I think I have justfied snacking when I don't need to because I had activity calories there to use.
  • stratusphr
    Options
    I agree with you. I have logged activity in the past and when you see the calorie balance jump back up there it kind of messes with my already messed up head. I think I have justfied snacking when I don't need to because I had activity calories there to use.

LoL - no kidding. It's not like we don't have enough head games going on without adding another one!!! So true!
  • melbogg
    melbogg Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    If I really exert myself with exercise like mowing the yard or biking over 30 min I am physically hungry and actaully NEED more fuel. So I log the activity in order to account for the additional calories I eat. It bothers me more to see my calories go in the red becasue I over ate for the day - lol Again with the head games, but to each his own.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I am 2 years out this month and I do log my work outs because I AM LAZY AND DO NOT LIKE TO WORK OUT. My job and lifesyle are sedentary, so setting a personal goal of so much per week and logging it helps keep me on track of actually getting it done. I've tried eating the extra calories and not. Neither way works real well for me. Since I discovered it makes no difference to losing, now I don't. I stick to the 1,000 calories per day my dietician told me to eat and the 1,200 MFP gives me. Doesn't matter what my "net" calories are. But I have to say, being able to see how many calories I've burned and how much exercise I've gotten done in a week makes me feel really good about what I'm doing!!
  • stratusphr
    Options
    We all have to find what works for us!! I love it that others play head games too!!! :) Thanks for sharing what works for all of you!! Have a good weekend!
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I have always logged my exercise on here but not so it would give me more cals to eat but to just have an accurate record of my journey. I don't log housecleaning, showering or food prep or basic daily activites. To me that is just living cals burned for day to day and a person shouldn't be eating those back IMHO. I know some people do log those. I log, walking, sit ups, workouts, bike riding, lawn mowing and phyiscal stuff that is extra in every day life. I have a fit bit one and what it doesn't pick up I do log manually since it is step driving and stuff like biking or swimming won't pick up.
    I was told by my WLS program Nut at my one year post op appt to up my cals and to start eating back my exercise cals burn since I am done loosing and don't want to loose anymore. I up'd cals to 1500 and ate back my exercise cals of like 300-400 a day for one week and gained 4 pounds! YIKES! I went back to 1300 cals a day and possibly eating back a few of my burned cals of exercise for the day after that. I am in maintence now and don't want to loose anymore so it might be different for those maintaining vs. loosing. I think what ever works for each person is what a person needs to do if it is successful.
    Good luck to all!
  • digitaljdr
    digitaljdr Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I log all my exercise, but contrary to what people say on here to do - I do not eat the balance that I generate. I stick to my initial allowance for that date, but if I happen to go over a little then big whoop.

My system has worked for me thus far, and it will continue as long as I stick to it.

Hope that gives you an idea.