My "dashboard" - 3 yrs out, what works 4 Me

Options
stratusphr
stratusphr Posts: 87 Member
I had surgery June 10, 2010, just over 3 years ago. I lost a total of 85 pounds. I reached my doctor's goal in 5 months, MY personal goal, five pounds less, a month later. I've been successfully maintaining for 2.5 years. My story isn't special or unique, it is just my story. If what I do can help someone else, that is good. Many helped ME pre-op and just after surgery. We should all "pay it forward" whenever possible!!

I'm not sure I've posted on MFP forums about my "dashboard". Just like the dashboard in your car or truck, I have MY dashboard to look at, that lets me know if something needs to be changed or adjusted. I hope this makes sense to the rest of y'all. :)

I weigh every single morning......I've done this since my pre-op diet. The only time I do NOT weigh is if we're away from home and I don't have a scale.

I weigh and/or measure my food, all of it....when I'm home. When I eat out or am at somebody else's house, I have to eyeball it....and no matter how far out I am, it is still not as accurate as actually weigh or measuring it. I have done THIS since I was discharged from the hospital. I KNOW how many calories I NEED to maintain (1300). I know that if I drop down to 1200, I can lose and if I go much above 1300, I will gain. There IS a fine line.

I log my food on line......I've done this since I started full liquids, week 2 I believe. They say that people who "guesstimate" their calories normally are about 500 calories off.....500 calories OVER what they are guessing.

I attend support groups, actually, I think I am a support group junkie, I love them!! I have a few friends I've met at the groups and we make the 'rounds' in our area. I have four that I attend on a monthly basis. Every one of them has a different style, different people, they are all great, and I love going to 'listen' and I like to visit with the people who aren't as far out as I am. I HIGHLY recommend finding one....or more if you get addicted......and going. Get involved, and like I mentioned earlier, pay it forward, it is very rewarding!

All this is my new normal.....as natural to me as breathing. This is what works for ME. I cannot imagine that these things wouldn't help everyone with this new journey.....this WILD RIDE we are on. Some think it's too much trouble, time consuming.....etc. I don't agree, but even if it is, it's well worth it!!! Like I said, it's habit now!!! I hope this helps someone!!

Replies

• dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your insights. I look forward to reaching goal and having perspectives to share as well. One thing I would add to this as it is a current struggle of mine: Find an exercise that makes you happy and build it into a habit you can do for life.
  • stratusphr
    Options
    Good luck to you and I think ALL of us can add something helpful to my "dashboard" to make it personal and maybe help someone else out!!! Have a great day!
  • ibellflower
    ibellflower Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I found it easier to maintain the exercise when it was something I liked and then something I had to do. I started last year just over a year riding my bike to work and back. There where a few days that I had a ride, or got picked up when the weather was too bad but on the general have ridden for the past year, except for the six weeks that I was off following surgery.
  • mandym74
    mandym74 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am a forum/facebook/blog junky when it comes to the sleeve. I have seen people without success after a few years and what you are doing seems to work. :) That is great! I think it is so much for you and your body to go through(not to mention the financial aspect) to just go back to old habits or just trying to stretch the limits. It is work---and I am only 13 weeks out. I have a long way to go but your post is encouraging.
  • bridges15804
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. I soak up all these types of posted to keep me encouraged and focused. I absolutely believe everyone should pay it forward because we are all in this journey together. We are all we have.

You have worked your tool to perfection, and that's what it's all about.
  • stratusphr
    Options
    We can ALL do this. It isn't a magic bullet, Dr. Ashmore said "A little paranoia is not bad" - the chances of me waking up ravenous and 25 lbs heavier is slim, but that is STILL my fear. Now I can hold on to it and not feel like a total nutcase!!! :)