How did it all start?

Options
cmay89
cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
Was there a person who egged you on, a video that inspired you, the games on ESPN, that made you try Crossfit in the first place? And what about Crossfit made you stay? What's your story? :)

I was going out with this ridiculously buff guy (for once in my life) and he was doing his workouts at the student rec center off of the main site. He had a friend from his jiu jitsu gym that was opening up his own crossfit place and he dragged me along with him to the Q&A session that my (now) coach was holding. There were literally just 3 of us there. And it was at the beginning of January, in a warehouse on a side of town I had never been to, surround by other warehouses. I don't remember what all went into the presentation, but my at the time bf was so excited about it that I couldn't help but decide to try it out. Cindy kicked my butt even though I scaled massively. Got maybe 12 rounds in.

I kept going because I liked this buff bf of mine and wanted to be as in shape as I possibly could because I thought he wouldn't stay otherwise. He eventually left the gym because he was cheap and so I didn't have a ride for months and months... but I came back as soon as I got a car. I loved the competitive edge and the first time picking a hefty weight off of the floor fulfilled me in a way I had never known. I could never go back to using the elliptical as my sole form of exercise. I was hooked and haven't looked back since. This January will be the start of my 4th year. It will be my greatest year yet.

Replies

• nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I have a guy friend who checked it out and he told me I would love it. I tried it one time and now I'm hooked :)
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I saw a lot of hating going on about CrossFit on the BodyBuilding.com forums. I was curious as to what all the fuss was about. So I YouTubed a lot of testimonial videos about CrossFit. After seeing amazing results from people who started out from Day 1 I was curious to try it out myself. I looked around for some CF gyms in my area. CrossFit Country had a great web site with an awesome community. They also offered a free week trial. I did my Intro Class then my first week. I've been hooked ever since and haven't missed a day yet.

Seeing great changes in the mirror after just 6 weeks!

CF4Life!
  • fakeittomakeit
    fakeittomakeit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I started because my nephew, who had recently started working out and lost 60lbs, has friends that do crossfit. We got my other nephew to join us and it's been great! We're all hooked and push each other to make it to workouts and do our best. : )
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I have several friends who do it and all of them have told me that I'd love it. I kind of stalled in my weight loss even though my weightlifting routine was going well, so i decided to take the free class my local box offers. Really enjoyed it and figured that the difference in price was less than I was planning on paying a trainer who knew less about lifting than I did so I made the jump.

This is my 3rd week doing WODs. Still scaling at least some of it but hopefully in a few months that will no longer the case every day and in a year or so not the case for anything.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I got hooked three years ago - I had heard about crossfit through my gymnastics coach and saw some pretty badass pictures of her lifting. I really wanted to try it, but had no idea where to start looking, especially up here in Canada (we always seem last to pick up on health trends). I was working with an on-line health coach and I saw he had a link to a crossfit box in my neighbourhood.
    I called, went for the free trial and then could not sit for a week - CINDY was our benchmark.
    So I was going on vacation and my plan was to do CINDY every other day on vacation. When I got home, I signed up for the month-long on-ramp (or fundamentals as we call it).

In the last year I had a lot of set backs and was re-considering my place in crossfit. I broke my toe - not crossfit related, I had an encapsulated/frozen shoulder from years of gymnastics abuse, and my knee kept swelling- from again, when I was in gymnastics I fell on it and into a sharp object.

I kind of felt depressed that I could no longer do all the workouts Rx, so I wanted to quit. But then I realized that it was not about beating the 20-somethings (I'm 41), it was about me, and how I felt AFTER i completed a WOD to the best of my ability, that I always finished and yes, sometimes I had to modify, or hell, scale even... but I did it and I never said I CAN'T.

So that is how it started, and that is how I fell back into a love affair... It is my happily ever after.
  • kevie1021
    kevie1021 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I was originally introduced to it maybe 7 years ago when a co-worker started doing it. I looked it up and was incredibly intimidated by it. A few years later I tried following the website and doing the workouts at my local globo-gym and while there were days I could do it with the space and equipment there, there were other days it just couldn't be done because of the people around and they just didn't have the equipment and kinda fell out of it.

A few years later I was at the academy for my job and one of the instructors started training myself and a few classmates afterhours. It was awesome. I lost so much weight and got so much stronger by the end of my time there. But it wasn't until I got bored with doing Insanity and P90X, and then stumbled upon a box literally 5 minutes from my house that I went in to check it out. The owner was there with one of the coaches working out, and they both couldn't have been more awesome. They answered all the questions I had, and were nothing but friendly. personable and encouraging. They had me stick around for a workout to check it out how things went but I was already sure I was going to join. I was nervous since this was my first time joining an actual box, but I was also excited knowing how much it benefited me before.

Now even on the days that I see the WOD and think "Holy *kitten*, how am I going to get through this" I always go, and get pushed through by the amazing coaches there, and feel incredible afterward. I'm hooked!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

I kind of felt depressed that I could no longer do all the workouts Rx, so I wanted to quit. But then I realized that it was not about beating the 20-somethings (I'm 41), it was about me, and how I felt AFTER i completed a WOD to the best of my ability, that I always finished and yes, sometimes I had to modify, or hell, scale even... but I did it and I never said I CAN'T.

So that is how it started, and that is how I fell back into a love affair... It is my happily ever after.

This sums up my mindset too. I know I probably will never compete with the younger guys and gals, but as long as I focus on getting a little better each time and getting myself in the best shape possible I'll be more than happy. And maybe one of the young guns will show up on a bad day and I'll eat his/her lunch :)
  • ortega1990
    ortega1990 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I read a primal eating book by Art De Vany and there he spoke about the box type gyms. This is about two years ago. At that time, I searched for boxes and could not find many in my area. That, of course has now changed and there quite a few, so when I finally visited one and took some intro classes I decided to go ahead and join!
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    A friend and I decided we wanted to start working out together. So, as we are discussing what we should do for a workout, he says "We should try Crossfit!" I told him that he was completely insane, and that we were nowhere near that level of fitness. My friend kept bringing it up and said that we should try it just once... just to say that we tried Crossfit.

So, I very hesitantly agreed to go. I had been a gym rat for years, spending most my time on an elliptical or stair master and working out with weight machines. Around 2010, I started working out a lot less and put on about 20lbs. So, when I showed up for my first WOD, I was in the wost shape I had been in a decade.

At my first WOD, we warmed up with an 800M run. I couldn't even run half of it. My friend and I completed the WOD (barely) and could hardly speak afterwards... we were wrecked from the workout! In spite of how awful it was (and that I couldn't even lift my arms to brush my teeth after the first WOD), we decided to go back. I figured anything that hard was bound to get me in shape.

Over a year later, I am down 20lbs., eating Paleo, and happier than I've been in a long time. The girl who couldn't run 400m can now run multiple miles. It still makes me laugh that I basically tried Crossfit on a dare, and now I'm obsessed!
  • toporifico
    toporifico Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was always a bodybuilder workout type of guy (back/bis, chest/tris, legs/abs type workouts) and it seemed like the older I got the more injuries I seemed to sustain. I would get consistent, get stronger, add more weight and inevitably injure myself. I'd take several months off, eat like crap, get fatter than before, go back to the gym, get stronger, add more weight, get injured again. It was a vicious cycle that I never really realized I was perpetuating. I started working out with this girl at the gym one day who turned me on to plyometric workouts and when I went to youtube to try and find more plyo workouts, I stumbled upon Crossfit. That was in 06. I was instantly hooked on the workouts, the intensity and the overall culture of Crossfit.

I promptly joined my local box and they promptly broke me. First workout in was some chipper and I probably let them push me way farther than I should have and I could barely get out of bed for a week. The next time I went in it was pretty much more of the same. Needless to say they were a little too intense for me and I just started doing WODs at my local globo gym instead after that first month. That worked for several years but I was only cherry picking the WODs I liked and never really pushing myself or seeing consistent results.

At the beginning of this year I started to realize that I was in a slump with my workouts. I wasn't going consistently and could never really get into a rhythm. I realized that I needed some accountability and finally decided to suck it up and join a local affiliate in May. It was the best thing I could have done and I haven't looked back. The first month I was only doing 2x/week and trying to recover from that. The second month I bumped it up to 3x/week and recently changed it to 3 on, 1 off, 2 on, 1 off. I'm feeling stronger and stronger every day and loving the renewed motivation I've found! I'm definitely determined to finally get in shape once and for all!!
  • GttnITtgthr
    Options
    It took me 2 years to finally suck up the price tag and join. I had been admiring from afar for a very long time. I decided I wasn't going to get where I wanted to be by my current gym because I was bored. I love it and I look forward to seeing what the work out is going to be every single day whether I planned on going to the class or not.
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I've been eating Paleo off and on since November of last year. I got to talking to a local acquaintance I met through a moms' group who also eats Paleo who is one of those women who is completely ripped due to Crossfit. I finally asked her what she did with her kids while she worked out and she told me that the box was very welcoming to kids (as long as they stayed out of the way/behaved/etc). My mind was boggled and I decided to go with her to watch a class. There was a new Foundations/on-ramp class starting the next week and I signed up for it.

I'm only two weeks in, but I LOVE it. It's a big deal for me, because I've never loved exercise. I've done it before, but I've never LOVED it.