Eating out :-(

Options
Darkefairie
Darkefairie Posts: 12 Member
i am due to have dinner out tomorrow, its a pub but i dont drink so thats not a problem but i am concerned how i can manage my daily amounts there. i usually have their lasagna however i know that would probably wipe out the days calories they dont list any values in their menu and i dont really want to ask them. any suggestions that could help me! i dont want to undo all the good work i have put into this.:frown:

Replies

• Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options
    One meal shouldn't undo all your good work, but if you want to limit the damage choose something more healthy than lasagna. Good choices would be grilled fish with salad and new potatoes; Salad with ham, tuna, grilled chicken etc; chargrilled burger with salad (veggie or chicken would probably be less calories than beef, but beef would be Ok if it was grilled and you held off on the mayo and fries); paella; falafel and salad; bean casserole or veggie chilli with rice; stuffed peppers; pasta with mussels or baby clams.

Even in a local pub it should be possible to make healthy choices.

Good luck!
  • angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    All good suggestions, but watch the dressings on salads, they can be very high. If possible ask for sauces/dressings to be served on the side, then you can limit them.
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options
    All good suggestions, but watch the dressings on salads, they can be very high. If possible ask for sauces/dressings to be served on the side, then you can limit them.

Yes, I forgot to mention dressings... I always have my salads 'naked' so I didn't think to mention that the dressing can add loads of calories if you're not careful.
  • Darkefairie
    Darkefairie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    thanks for all of the ideas! they should all help me chose something a little better for me :-)
  • pangy1958
    pangy1958 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if you look the pub on line they will give you the nutrition value on there. I went to a Chef and Brewer at lunch time, and when i got home looked them up and low and behold they had their nutrition values on line bit not on the menu in the pub. Wonder why these places don't put it on the menu.
  • angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My son took me to Wetherspoon's while out shopping and they had a free nutrition guide leaflet with calories and nutritional values for all their meals, even with sections on variations in Wales, Scotland and Ireland. Worth looking out for if you go there.
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    We are out tomorrow at an indian, i'm veggie I do eat fish any suggestions what would be my best choices ?
  • jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I think, if yours is anything like my local, they do some alternatives, like spicy salmon or something?

Could be a long shot though
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Personally I prefer to choose whatever I fancy when I'm going out to eat and compensate by earning extra calories through exercise or having a low calorie day before or after.
  • Mrsshellers
    Mrsshellers Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    If you dont eat out regularly then I would say just enjoy what ever you like from the menu. You can always compensate the rest of the week by choosing wisely and perhaps a little more exercise.

Going out is supposed to be fun not fearful!
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if you look the pub on line they will give you the nutrition value on there. I went to a Chef and Brewer at lunch time, and when i got home looked them up and low and behold they had their nutrition values on line bit not on the menu in the pub. Wonder why these places don't put it on the menu.
    Problem is with putting it on the menu is it influences everyone, not just those trying to lose weight... what about those with eating disorders... or those just wanting to enjoy a meal,

Generalising here and trying to find a nice way of putting it but there is also a pattern with where you can find nutritional info.... you tend to find lower end chains will have it in store or even on the menu... Weatherspoons, Harvester, McDonalds,
    Middle of the road places have it available online - Chef and Brewer, Zizzis,
    High end places its impossible to find anywhere... lol

I always order blind when I go out because I don't do it daily and I want to enjoy it not think of the extra exercise I need for every mouthful :/
    I say just use your brain, you know what's relatively healthy so make the best choice you can, but don't focus on that too much... enjoy it!! :)
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    cool answers thanks

Have what I fancy just no nan bread
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    cool answers thanks

Have what I fancy just no nan bread

naan bread is the best bit though!!!!!!