Texas/Louisiana Vegans!

Options
Hey all!

I am a newly practiced vegan from East Texas, and I'd love to add fellow plant-eaters from my area as friends! Please post, share recipes, talk about your experiences and, certainly, friend me! Thank y'all!

-Becca

Replies

• squirrell79
    squirrell79 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I lived in Corpus Christi for a few years, and I can't imagine being vegetarian, let alone vegan, in Texas outside of Austin. You are a brave woman!

I wish you tons of luck!
  • MusicLady24
    Options
    Haha, I know exactly what you mean! I'm surrounded by carnivores, which doesn't bother me, but they seem to get weirded out by my choice of diet. "You don't eat steak? This is Texas!" Lol.

Thanks for the support!

-Becca
  • Snicklefritz81
    Snicklefritz81 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Haha, I know exactly what you mean! I'm surrounded by carnivores, which doesn't bother me, but they seem to get weirded out by my choice of diet. "You don't eat steak? This is Texas!" Lol.

Thanks for the support!

-Becca

I'm in the west TX area, and I'm newly veg/vegan as well. I just haven't told anyone, including my husband! lol
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I'm on the LA side of I-10, about 8 miles from the TX state line!
  • MusicLady24
    Options
    Hello, y'all, and welcome! It's fantastic that more people are joining the forum discussion!!!
  • librarianjenne
    librarianjenne Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm north of Houston. Houston, surprisingly, has some nice all-vegan options for eating out, like green seed, and some veg-friendly places like the Hobbit Cafe.
  • MusicLady24
    Options
    That's awesome! Nacogdoches has next to nothing as far as vegan eats, or even mainstream restaurants that are vegan friendly. I've got to try one of those places out next time I head your direction!

-Becca
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    There isn't much around here (Lake Charles, LA area) that has vegan options, but I manage. Thankfully I like a lot of ethnic foods so I know what I can eat at our favorite Lebanese eatery or even at a sandwich shop and what to eliminate to make it fit for me.
  • KaleYeah
    KaleYeah Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    We are also in East Texas. I know exactly what you mean. Not really many places we can go out to eat. I catch a lot of flack whenever I order something from Taco Bell and sub beans for meat and cut out the cheese. The usual response is "You don't want no meat??" LOL. My wife cooks our meals every day! She gets most of her recipes from Happy Herbivore weekly meal plans. If you aren't familiar with that, you should look it up! It is amazing food, simple, few ingredients, and very easy to make. It's all whole food plant based. Our 3 and 6 year old boys love it too!
  • MusicLady24
    Options
    I've never heard of Happy Herbivore before. I'll be sure to check it out!