Prayers for a Deceased Loved One...

Options
Hi all,

Ten years ago on July 3rd, my ex-boyfriend (we were just friends by that point), Spencer, committed suicide. He left behind an 11-year-old daughter, and all of his friends, wondering why we didn't somehow stop him. He was 33 years old. I still think of him almost daily, though for some reason the few days around the anniversary of his death he never pops into my thoughts. I guess my mind has tried to block out those days.

At any rate, I'd like to ask for your prayers for his soul. I don't know how he would have gotten to purgatory, let alone heaven (we weren't Christians at that time, not by a long shot), but I throw my prayers at God's mercy and hope somehow I will see him again in heaven.

Thank you so much and God bless,
Kristin

Replies

• jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    consider it done!
  • _KrisMarie_
    _KrisMarie_ Posts: 146
    Options
    consider it done!

Thank you!!

God bless...
  • snowmoon13
    snowmoon13 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I will send a pray of comfort for you and his family ...

He IMO is with the Lord most churches recognize that suicide is the result of mental illness the key word being illness... His act was not one of sin but a sad end of man who did not receive the proper treatment for his illness...

I will of course keep him in pray...

Thank you for posting about such a sad but important topic..
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    There have been a number of suicides in my extended family. Fortunately, none have been close relatives, but even at the distance, it is so very difficult for those left behind. I don't know the circumstances, or why your friend died a non-believer, but God's mercy is boundless, and we trust in His mercy while respecting His commands. My cousin left the church years before she committed suicide. I remember calling her just before the first Gulf war. (She was in the military.) She told me that I was the only family member who had taken the time to call and see if she was being sent into war. Some time later, she committed suicide. As far as I know, it had nothing to do with her service, but everything to do with her lack of fidelity in her marriage. So, you know, she had a LOT of strikes against her. I was weighed down by a lot of guilt. I knew she had a lack of support from her birth family, and I hadn't called her since that phone call.

I prayed for the repose of her soul every Sunday before Mass for years. After years of prayer, I went to Mass one Sunday, and when I said my prayer for her, I had an overwhelming sense of peace about her salvation. I wouldn't every presume to say what God's judgment is for Penny, but I cannot describe how profoundly comforted I felt about her soul. So, I guess my advice is: Assume that your friend has achieved purgatory and pray him home.

Hugs to you! Prayers for your friend!
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Prayers for the repose of your friend's soul and prayers that one day you will experience the peace that orapronobis did, the peace that passes understanding.
  • juliekin
    juliekin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Keeping him and you in my thoughts and prayers.
  • _KrisMarie_
    _KrisMarie_ Posts: 146
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it.

And thanks, orapronobis. It it great to hear that someone found peace after a time. I hope one day I feel the same, as does Spencer...

Peace of Christ be with you...
    Kristin