countdown to baby!! Goals & hopes!

Options
Hi! I'm excited that I'm down to 19 weeks! So far I've gained 5lbs but the scale is hanging at 2 more lbs. I'm going to wait a few more days but really hope it's just fluctuation. I weigh myself almost everyday. I'm really hoping to gain only 10 more (or less!) in 19 weeks. I've been working pretty hard at it so far. My last pregnancy I gained a bunch of weight in the last 2-3 weeks, like 15 pounds but it was mostly fluid. My diet was pretty awful consisting of diet coke, salt & Vin chips & McDonalds. I was so sick the first time til 37 weeks that those were the only things that worked. I drank almost no water either. So hoping that eating better & drinking as much water as I do, I won't have the fluid gain. My last pregnancy I gained around 30-35lbs w the fluid but a few weeks after I was down to 150! U fortunately, I started this pregnancy at 204 so I don't see having that magical shed happen this time. But with the help of nursing and already exercising I'm hoping to give my weight loss a MAJOR kick start after baby comes. I gotta say I'd be thrilled to be just under 200 after baby comes out...wishful thinking maybe. How about you ladies? How much longer do you have & what are your goals? Am I being unreasonable? Lol

Replies

• Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you are doing awesome!! I firmly believe a healthy lifestyle and staying active make a HUGE difference!

I had scale weight goals in the beginning, but have decided to ditch them. I reached goal weight right before we got preggo and have really gotten into fitness and I assumed I had more control over the actual gain that I do, lol. For now I am focusing on eating enough (2300 everyday), running and lifting weights. I did not do any of those things my last pregnancy and I feel sooo much better this time around.

I actually have been doing measurements every month for the last two years, so I have been able to see the pregnancy progress that way and it has been eye opening!! I just measured this morning and ALL of my measurements have stayed exactly the same since day one. Well, besides the boobage and belly of course. That means so much more to me than scale weight. I was thrilled to see these results and it has given me confidence that my body is doing exactly what it needs to. :)

My goals are to remain active until the very end and keep up with daily yoga so that labor and delivery will go as smooth as possible. I am planning an unmediated hospital VBAC birth, so this is especially important to me. I want to do whatever I can to increase my chances of having an easier birth and recovery process. I have a pretty solid plan for easing back into working out and am really looking forward to nursing another baby, even if that didn’t quite help me lose the weight on its own last time. lol
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    If my last two pregnancies are any indication, I will still be with child 34 weeks from now. (42+ weeks)

I just want to stay under 200, so that will mean keeping my gain at less than 40 lbs...I haven't managed to do that in my previous pregnancies, but I'm in a much different place this time around.
  • nan199678
    nan199678 Posts: 140
    Options
    Ruby, I'm hoping for a vbac too. Going to do everything in my power to make it happen. :-) :-) :-) :-)
  • Rubyayn
    Options
    Ruby, I'm hoping for a vbac too. Going to do everything in my power to make it happen. :-) :-) :-) :-)

Good luck!! I am excited about the birth! I have been doing Hypnobabies and it has really helped quell any anxieties and has really gotten me into a birthing state of mind. hehe
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options

Good luck!! I am excited about the birth! I have been doing Hypnobabies and it has really helped quell any anxieties and has really gotten me into a birthing state of mind. hehe

Good luck to both of you! I am going for my second vbac and feeling so much more confident this time around :) Biggest factors in my vbac success last time were 1) baby positioning (see spinningbabies.org for awesome info) because a properly positioned baby generally is delivered faster, which mattered a lot since my vbac baby was 10lb14oz 2) having a doula who would help me decide when it was REALLY time to go to the hospital and 3) already being 9cm when I got to the hospital, thanks to my doula being spot on!
  • queenmolly68
    Options
    sounds like we are in the same boat! Have less than 20 weeks to go and hoping to not gain more than another 10 pounds. Hope everything goes well with your vbac!
  • Rubyayn
    Options

Good luck to both of you! I am going for my second vbac and feeling so much more confident this time around :) Biggest factors in my vbac success last time were 1) baby positioning (see spinningbabies.org for awesome info) because a properly positioned baby generally is delivered faster, which mattered a lot since my vbac baby was 10lb14oz 2) having a doula who would help me decide when it was REALLY time to go to the hospital and 3) already being 9cm when I got to the hospital, thanks to my doula being spot on!

Congrats on getting your VBAC and good luck with this birth!!! I love spinning babies and a lot of the positioning helps back and hip pain. I agree that it takes some prep work to get a VBAC, especially in a hospital. I also plan to labor at home with my doula as long as possible to avoid as much intervention as I can. My doula rocks and I believe she will be a very important factor in my success. I have a supportive hubby and solid birth plan, so I am hoping for the best!
  • MsWax
    MsWax Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies! Just wanted to commend everyone on all your hard work during pregnancy. I'm expecting baby #3 in 3 weeks (or less), hoping for a VBAC, and hoping to just maintain my 35 lbs weight gain at this point. In fact, I gained all my weight by 24 weeks and have just been holding steady ever since. I'm ready for this little boy to come out and meet the world!
  • Rubyayn
    Options
    Hey ladies! Just wanted to commend everyone on all your hard work during pregnancy. I'm expecting baby #3 in 3 weeks (or less), hoping for a VBAC, and hoping to just maintain my 35 lbs weight gain at this point. In fact, I gained all my weight by 24 weeks and have just been holding steady ever since. I'm ready for this little boy to come out and meet the world!

Congrats and good luck on your soon to be VBAC baby!!! Amazing the crazy things our bodies will do when making a human!
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Fifteen weeks to go until the birth of my fifth child and only daughter. Really excited about buying pink things for the first time! Hoping to keep my weight as steady as possible as I haven't really gained anything as yet, but am fully prepared to gain a pound a week if necessary from here on in. Planning on continuing to exercise as long as I can manage and expect they'll come a point where sciatic pain or hip/joint pain will become too much. I will also continue logging and calorie counting to keep my intake reasonable.

I've previously had four unmedicated hospital births using just a TENS machine and entonox, one of which was breech. I fully intend to do the same again with any luck. I also breastfed the last four until each was around 18 months old and also expect to repeat this.

I don't yet have a plan of action for exercising after birth as I know it may well take me a good while to recover fully from labour given that this is my fifth time around and I'm no longer in my twenties. However, I'd also like to be back in size 16 clothes (if not lower) by this time next year, so we'll see. Running around after five kids may be exercise enough for a while, but I'll soon have an exercise bike which I'll be able to use if not. Otherwise I just intend to eat healthily and give myself time to focus on my newborn first.
  • nan199678
    Options
    [/quote]

Super exciting D! I'm actually meeting w a potential doula tomorrow evening. I wish you luck w your second VBAC! This is my final pregnancy so I'm doing everything/anything possible!
  • nan199678
    Options
    So happy to hear from everyone. I'm going to look into the spinning & hypno birthing. :-) :-) :-) :-) Ms. Wax, awesome job at maintaining your weight. I am really gonna try. KCasey, I'm not sure what a TENS machine is but I want to know more, entonox too.
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Entonox is also known as 'gas and air' or nitrous oxide.

More info on TENS...

TENS stands for Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation it has been used for many years to control pain and in particular labour pain.

A TENS stimulator comprises of a small electronic box, powered by a 9 volt battery, and generates specific electrical impulses. The impulses are transferred by wires to self adhesive electrodes that are placed either side of the spine.

The TENS produces two frequencies of electrical stimulation 'low and high' and the mother can switch between these instantly at the touch of a button which is positioned on a hand piece for convenience.

The electrical impulses pass through the spine and have two effects. Firstly using the low frequency your body's own natural pain killing chemicals (endorphins) are released into the central nervous system creating a generalized analgesic effect. Secondly by pressing the button down the TENS switches to the high frequency and pain signals are actually blocked at the spinal cord.

Of course it has been used safely for many years and is recommended by midwives as no adverse side effects have ever been reported. However as a precaution TENS should not be used if you have a pacemaker fitted and TENS should not be used in the early stages of pregnancy. The TENS should be used according to our instructions and the electrodes used with the TENS stimulator should only be positioned either side of the spine and nowhere else on the body .

In first stages of labour virtually everyone gains some benefit. In the second stage the success rate does tend to decrease. However we have found that a significant number of the mothers using our TENS, report that no other pain relief was required in their labour.

One of the greatest advantages of TENS is that whilst using it for labour, you can stand, walk around and adopt any position you feel comfortable with. You do not have this freedom using any other forms of analgesia, like gas and air, pethidine, or an epidural. Advantages have been shown for staying upright in labour, often shortening the duration and allowing gravity to help make each contraction more effective.

I like to use the TENS at home after a bath to get me as far into labour as possible before going to the hospital and then have the entonox when I get there. The combination of the two has been enough to get me through the last stages of labour the last four times.
  • Rubyayn
    Options
    I LOVE using a TENS machins for back pain, but never considered it for labor. It makes perfect sense! I am going to discuss this with my midwife next week for sure!!

Nan - I use a home study program called Hypnobabies. It includes a full class on prepping for birth as well as hypnosis. Both myself and my husband learned a LOT. IT is a lot cheaper than doing the classes and fits our schedule better. :)
  • nan199678
    Options
    Sounds very interesting! I'm going to look more into it. I was actually dreaming about going into labor last night/early this morning & woke up excited & mind all over that I couldn't fall back asleep. Well not until 10 minutes before the alarm went off.