stubborn stomach

Options
Hello,

I was diagnosed when i was 15 and since i have been on the pill for terrible periods since i was just 13 i didn't take the metformin that was prescribed to me because the pill fixed my symptoms.

No matter what size i am overall and what weight i am i have had this same sized stomach since i was about 14 and since i have been using mfp i have lost over 20lbs and lost inches and have been eating the healthiest i have all my life and exercise daily. My stomach has not changed at all.

I'm not trying to find excuses - if it's me still not eating right or not exercising enough or properly that's fine and it's my fault but I'm starting to wonder if the stubborn tummy is something to do with my PCOS and if there is anything i can do to fix this without having to take medication.
does anyone else have this problem? or maybe with another area of their body?

i actually don't know very much about pcos so I had a look on amazon for a pcos book to do with diet and exercise to see if i could educate myself and try some things out but i'm not sure what book is best to buy for this..

Have any of you bought any of these kinds of books and have you found them successful/informative? Could you recommend one for me to buy?

Any help is greatly appreciated :-)

Thank you x

Replies

• dezbear
    dezbear Posts: 21
    Options
    I have the same issue :( all my weight is in my belly. I'm thinking it will involve a lot of crunches and other core strengthening to get it semi-flat.
  • melodymedlin
    melodymedlin Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I recommend "PCOS the hidden epidemic." Its by Dr. Thatcher its an older book but it has amazing information and breaks it down into chapters. Everything from eating right, TTC, options, weight loss, etc... :)

As far as the stomach goes I've heard that the hips and the mid belly are the toughest place to loose weight. :( I wish you tons of luck and congrats on the 20lbs and inches loss.
  • happypopmelon
    Options
    Thank you!

I will have a look for that book then :-)

If i can stay away from metformin and learn that perhaps it will just take an extra long time for me to lose the weight compared to someone without pcos then that's ok with me, as long as it does go one day! haha hopefully this book will teach me all i need to know.

x
  • happypopmelon
    Options
    I have the same issue :( all my weight is in my belly. I'm thinking it will involve a lot of crunches and other core strengthening to get it semi-flat.

I did the 30 day shred and did not lose a single inch anywhere so this is what prompted me to think something was a bit off!
    I don't think crunches and ab work mean anything unless you get it right in the kitchen so that's why i need a pcos diet book i think! good luck x
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I don't use any particular book that is specifically about PCOS, but I have read a number of books on eating and exercise. I like Dr. Sara Gottfried's ideas about PCOS--she's got a book out, and although I've not yet read it, I have listened to a number of podcast interviews with her and have read a bunch of articles she's written. You might look her up and see if you find her interesting at all.

I have the stubborn tummy....it's been the LAST place where I'm losing, but it's slowly improving (I use a tape measure). I'm insulin resistant and believe that has a lot to do with it. Before I was diagnosed with PCOS/IR and gained all this weight, I never ever had any belly, even after giving birth to my son...so the sudden development of this tummy was a real sign something wasn't right with my body.

I have been sticking to a low carb, whole foods diet for the past year. I'm gluten intolerant as well. So I eat paleo/primal, for the most part. That's been the best way for me to control PCOS symptoms and the IR. I've focused my exercise around lifting weights and kettlebell training, with daily walks added in. I'm not currently on any meds at all, and could never get adjusted to Metformin anyway. So I've had to be really dedicated to diet and exercise.

Abdominal fat can be really stubborn, but you CAN get it off...it's a matter of being patient and consistent. I think I'll probably be working on losing that fat for at least another year....yeah, it's slow going, but that's ok. It will go. Crunches and directly working your abs aren't going to do anything for fat loss in that area, you're right about that. You might investigate cortisol and it's influence on stubborn abdominal fat.
  • happypopmelon
    Options
    thank you!
    ive bought a pcos book and i'm trying low carb for a while to see if it helps x
  • ladypinktulip
    ladypinktulip Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I carry all my weight in my stomach....I have looked 5 months pregnant since I was 9 years old :sad: with that being said most PCOS women I know have tummies. I just accept that I have a Pooh Bear look to me....it's part of the disease and I try really hard to accept myself as I am and enjoy life no matter what. Hang in there sweetie.:flowerforyou:
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    thank you!
    ive bought a pcos book and i'm trying low carb for a while to see if it helps x

Eating low carb is what helps me! I am just really dedicating myself to it but even though I have only lost 1.5 lbs since starting it again a month ago, all my clothes fit better around my waist and I have lost 0.5" there! Good luck!
  • happypopmelon
    Options
    Thank you everyone. The book i am reading about PCOS advises a low GI diet because cutting out carbs can do more damage so i'm going to read up a bit more on low GI and hopefully try that for life :-) i did try low carb for a week and felt a lot better so i will definitely continue to eat less carbs than i have in the past at least! x
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. The book i am reading about PCOS advises a low GI diet because cutting out carbs can do more damage so i'm going to read up a bit more on low GI and hopefully try that for life :-) i did try low carb for a week and felt a lot better so i will definitely continue to eat less carbs than i have in the past at least! x

No one's saying to cut out carbs, but what book are you looking at and how does going lower carb "do more damage"? Low carb diets are known to be one of the only (non-medication) things to help people with PCOS and insulin resistance, so I'm curious as to what you're reading.

That said, I second the mention of primal/paleo. It's definitely worth looking into, since it encourages whole foods and getting your carbs from fruits and vegetables, instead of grains.
  • boxem180
    boxem180 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut out carbs completely - I've just changed how and when I eat them. I never eat carbs without a protein with them. Protein helps your body process carbs. I try and eat 2 carbs:1 protein ratio. If I cut carbs out completely, it turns into a yo-yo diet for me. I've started choosing better carbs or carb replacements. Instead of pasta, I buy tofu shirataki noodles (love them in a stir fry). Instead of "normal" bread, I buy sprouted grain (Ezekiel bread). I also don't eat many carbs at night if I can avoid it. For whatever reason, it upsets my stomach and intestines so I stick mainly to veggies and protein.
  • fighterdiva
    fighterdiva Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    @boxem180 is dead on! Carbs must be accompanied by protein! But I want you ladies to keep something in mind. PCOS is an excess of estrogen, this causes an increase in cortisol, and a decrease in progesterone which is why women affected by PCOS typically have larger stubborn "bellies". Progesterone balances estrogen and cortisol. One thing that has really helped me flatten out my stomach especially, event though I still have a ways to go, is increasing my b-vitamins to help combat that extra cortisol that is being released. Men because of their higher cortisol production typically gain weight in their stomachs, aka "beer bellies" women in their thighs and buttock. So when you are not producing enough progesterone, as with PCOS, the estrogen forces your fat cells to store almost everything as fat, and the increased cortisol forces even more food stores into your fat cells especially around the abdomen.
  • boxem180
    boxem180 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    @fighterdiva - what supplements do you take to increase your B-vitamins?
  • fighterdiva
    fighterdiva Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I use Twinlabs Liquid Super B Complex, which has all of the essentials: B6, B12, etc.