Beets

Options
laura328
laura328 Posts: 136 Member
I've been reading about the health benefits of juicing beets. Problem: I've noticed that when I use beets in my juice it tastes like dirt! Anyone else experience this? I wash them thoroughly but still - dirt! YUCK!

Replies

• moguline
    moguline Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    hi,

I use beets in my juices too. The key is to use them sparingly I think. I normally only put a small slice into a juice. A good thing to add to those juices is a slice of ginger and a nice wedge of lemon (without the piff of course) - it neutralises the taste quite well. But then again, I do like the taste of beets so maybe I'm not as sensitive as you. ;)
  • 02tods
    02tods Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I've been juicing beets also for the blood purification benefits. I've not noticed the dirt taste, but maybe I've just gotten used to it? I like to juice 1 beet per day but will be cutting that back to 1/2 beet per day in a couple of weeks.I understand beet juice will/can lower blood pressure, so something to be aware of.
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    You could also try doing a beet "shot" separate from your big glass. I did this with celery, as I can't stand the way it makes the rest of the juice taste. That way I can get the benefits but still enjoy my tastier glass with all the ingredients that I find appealing!
  • justjuice19
    Options
    Definitely peel your beets before you juice them, it lessens the earthly flavor.