Wedding Photograpers

Options
fbmandy55
fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
ETA: Photographers***

What would be a reasonable rate for a wedding photographer?

The one I want to use is $2400 for the standard package. this includes: 2 photographers (they are husband and wife) for 8 hours on your wedding day, a 6x6 photo album valued at $350 and also a 2 hour engagement photo session.

I've looked at other photographers in our area and they all seem to be in the same ballpark. I mostly want to use this one as her photos are breathtaking and she is fantastic at making photos look flattering on big people (or people like me with cystic acne scars covering my face). :grumble:

Thoughts?

Replies

• Itsjustme86
    Itsjustme86 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    That seems like a reasonable price! Just make sure it includes the rights to the photos so you don't have to pay the photographer everytime you want a copy of a photo!

Ours is a bit more but it includes 10 hours (two photographers), 3 parent books, one book for us, a canvas wrap photo and a photo booth for the reception. Wedding photography is crazy expensive but I guess in the end it's really all you have left of your big day!

Prices will also vary a lot depending on your location!
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    We're paying 1400 (British pound) for 10 hours with all the images edited & provided digitally to use as we wish.
    We can have a 'professional' Queensbury album if we wish but its 400 more.

Have you spoken to them? How do they come across, its pretty important you like them as it'll help a lot on the day.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Well I have been a 'fan' of their facebook page for their photo company and I absolutely love their photos. They do an excellent job of hiding flaws and making photos flattering. They are super professional but laid back and fun! We are actually meeting them for lunch today, they wanted to meet me, fiancee and son before we sign a contract. :love:

The planner at our reception venue said they were great. She also said how important it was to use a pro and not a family friend. She said one of their last couples hired a friend who they thought was good at taking pics and didn't even get a single photo of the two of them together. They had to get all dressed up, re-rent tux and hire a pro. Horrible!

Thankfully, The retainer is the first 1/3 of payment and the next one isn't due until 3 months before wedding.
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Ooch! I have a few friends that are photographers that asked if I wanted to hire them, but I agree. Its just not the time to mix the two. I don't doubt their professional abilities at but it just not worth possibly ruining a friendship over!

Aww all sounds very positive. Hope the meeting goes well! :-)
  • Katey911
    Katey911 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I think price varies a lot by region and offerings. Mine is cheaper than that, but we have more time with them and no books. It's hard to quantify when you're comparing apples to oranges, but I agree that this is one place to splurge! Hope you gel with them and have a great meeting!