HELP!!!

Options
vmudgett
vmudgett Posts: 40 Member
I had a sleeve done in December of 2011. I almost died from complications. I was in the hospital for four months. I have some residual nerve pain left from the surgery. I lost weight well for the first year, and now, midway into 2013, I am hitting a wall. My husband and I moved to California and he can't find a job. My son had surgery. I was in a bad car accident. So I didn't weigh myself for a month and didn't track my food because I thought I had it all down. Well today I stepped on the scale and I have gained ten pounds! I am freaking out! I did not go through all this to gain weight back! I'm not sure how I gained, because I still can't eat very much, most food that I eat gets stuck, I have a hard time exercising because I have very bad arthritis in my knees.

So I need someone who has maybe had a setback in their journey to tell me how they got back on track, and if anyone can advise me on how to burn some calories and lift some weights, I think I need to give my metabolism a swift kick and I'm not sure how.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    My BP meds had a water pill component to them, so when I was taken off the BP meds I gained 8 pounds in like 2 weeks! Yes it was water weight, but I couldn't take a water pill because I had to let my body get used to not having that daily water pill. It took me forever to get that additional 8 pounds off.

As to what you can do now, really up your water and protein intake and don't cut the calories too far. Try protein shakes for one or two meals a day. As for exercising, you are out in Cali, swim! No stress on your knees that way. I too have arthritis in my knees so I ride an exercise bike and when I'm feeling good and it's not too hot & humid here in MI, I walk. Because of the arthritis in the knees and lower spine, I will never be able to run, but I can do those things. The other thing I love is my pilates machine. So Pilates and Yoga would also be good for you again without putting too much stress on your knees.

You've done wonderful in this journey so far. Although it feels huge, this is only a small set back. You know what to do and you know how to do it. You've just had a ton of changes and obsticles lately, but you are strong enough to handle it all and get back on track. Just look what you've done so far!
  • wink77
    wink77 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi! I hope you get some other responses from those that have had setbacks, I haven't, but, I wanted to post also. Pat had some great advice about swimming. I too have arthritis, I am mostly affected below the waist so I can relate to the knee pain; my low back is the worst. I love to swim, I was a lifeguard in my younger years. I recently started swimming again and it feels wonderful. My husband isn't much of a swimmer, but, he does water walking. It's a great way to burn calories and feels great too. So, regardless of your experience in the pool, I bet you could do one of those.

If you can make a committment to start over right now and go back to the basics I know those 10 lbs will come off. Think about the first weeks after surgery, what did you eat? I focused mainly on getting my water in and protein. If you can start there they'll be gone in no time. A visit back to your Dr. or dietician might be a good idea too. They're there to help you.

Best of luck to you.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Long story short, I too had complicaiton (not as bad as yours, but I almost died too) I have knee pain, injury, complicaitons, what ever you want to call it. I am obsessed with not being one of those ones that gains the weight back. I've never been thin in my life, and now that I am, I will do my darndest to keep it off!

Swimming hurts my knee, it's the side to side motion that really kills. I do spinning classes, walk the dog 2x a day for 20 min each, and weight lift. Since your husband is out of work I don't imagine you will have access to a gym, but if you have a bike you can ride. Biking has been the best for me. For weights, go to the library (free, like that!) They have a lot of books on weights and will show you form and how to get started. Also, there are tons of websites about lifting at home. How to use things around the house for weights, etc. Just make sure you form is correct more than how much you can lift. You don't want to hurt yourself.

I'm still not down to BMI, and I may never, but I'm a size 12-14, which I have never seen in my life. I know this is a life time struggle, but I am determined to make it work. I'm three years out went from 314 to current 192. You'll do thism just have to get back in the habit of measuring, logging, and regular exercise.