Emotionally involved!...

Options
fat_harrie
fat_harrie Posts: 59 Member
I have a habit of waiting to buy games till the hype dies down and I done this usual with Lara Croft Tomb Raider released earlier this year...

I fell in love with it instantly! I took my time going over all the levels and challenges and completed it to 100%. The issue is, now that it's done, I feel a little lost, depressed even.

My question is, what do you do to recover from this? Do you start another game? How do you know that your going to love the game as the previous experience? Do I dare risk the insults on the multiplayer / online option?

Replies

• soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    When super mario world came out on the super nintendo I loved playing that game so much. I completed it 100% of the way through. I found every secret there was. When it was all over I felt the same way you do now. Then I started doing speed runs and I was able to beat the game in less than 13minutes. During the time I was doing that I found out about super double dragon. There are brief pauses between the games that we love but there is always something on the horizon. Every new beginning comes from so other beginning's end.

Now we have sandbox style games that are so open ended they can help me bridge the gaps between games. I still love Grand Theft Auto and that game never seems to end. The sidewalk is always full of new people to run over.
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I had this happen to me with the Mass Effect series and now the HALO series. I tried getting into other games to fill this void sadly it didn't work Hell I play SWG from launch to death I'm still trying to recover from that one.

Thankfully my new addiction has become Spartacus Legends .. why I don't know there's no storyline no plot other then build up a gladiator and hope he doesn't die in the arena.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    This happened when I played Ocarina of Time. Knowing that I found every heart container, Poe and items made me wish for a sequel. Then Majoras Mask was announced. Last time it happened was playing The Last of Us. What a game....
  • soldier4242
    Options
    When game makers really put in the work and they create something wonderful and you get to explore their creation from beginning to end and truly enjoy it we are always left with that mixture of joy and sadness. I can easily see what you mean. Fortunately for us gaming exists in the world of technology which is always growing and changing. There will be something new on the horizon for us to find.

This is small consolation because even if they do make another great game for us the story of the last one is still over and the story of the next one will end. I think the best thing we can do though is remember the words of wisdom read to us when we were children.

Smile because it happened don't cry because it's over ~Dr. Seuss
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I love Tomb Raider. I still have not completed it because I got distracted by The Last of Us. I tend to drag my feet on certain games because once it is over, it's over and then I get depressed waiting for the next one to catch my attention.
  • flupps_
    flupps_ Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I fell in love with it instantly! I took my time going over all the levels and challenges and completed it to 100%. The issue is, now that it's done, I feel a little lost, depressed even.

I think we need to coin the phrase "Video Game Summit Syndrome", we just need a good acronym for it, hmm...
    I've had the same, but that can come after a long TV series finishes (Rome, The Wire), a long book series or video games.
    To cope with it I switch the medium or hobby for a bit after, since it's hard to jump into something similar very close in time without comparing to what you just did (which may have been great).
    Even though "Journey" is a very short game, I couldn't really play anything for about two weeks after completing it, because of how involved I got.
    My question is, what do you do to recover from this? How do you know that your going to love the game as the previous experience? Do I dare risk the insults on the multiplayer / online option?

I think that depends on if you loved the story and how the interactive gameplayed pulled you into it, or if you really liked the gameplay mechanics. If you love the story aspect, you probably will be disappointed by multiplayer, since usually the whole dynamic that pulled you into that world is altered.
    If it is something like a puzzle game, Borderlands, etc, multi-player can actually bring it to another level.
    Do you start another game?
    What types of games have you so far found that you enjoy? And what gaming system(s) do you own? Maybe there's enough of us here to be able to recommend some hidden gem.
  • fat_harrie
    Options
    I am a bit of a noob so my terminology my be a little rubbish, but I love playing the likes of Assains Creed, but lost interest with the brotherhood. It became a bit of a novety I think, also I got really involved in the charater development over the Ezio series.

I am playing farcry 3 but, (I know this prob sounds wierd) I find the playing view a little of putting, just watching the 2 hands infront of me while trying to view the scene makes me feel a little disorientated in the fight scenes. I prefer to see the character. (Is this 3rd person?)

I started playing Skyrim but my dad stole my copy... G*T! So I am hoping to buy a new copy. I do really enjoy the Xbox franchise and am looking forward to the new releases on Xbox One.

I have bought Halo but not started it yet though as I really want to get my teeth stuck in and know I have a tendency to zone out once I start! lol
  • flupps_
    flupps_ Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It seems like you're into quite large worlds with a bit of story attached?
    Have you looked into the Mass Effect trilogy, or Fallout 3, maybe.

(I would suggest the Uncharted series, as it is quite close to Tomb raider in certain ways, but they are a Playstation-only series)
  • soldier4242
    Options
    I would recommend Mass Effect if it wasn't for the complete and total failure of the ending.
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options

(I would suggest the Uncharted series, as it is quite close to Tomb raider in certain ways, but they are a Playstation-only series)

I just picked up Fallout 3 GOTY for $5 on Steam summer sale. For no apparent reason I just stopped playing Skyrim pretty early in the game. I've played and finished every ES game since DF and I was making a go at Skyrim, but then went on vacation and haven't felt the urge to pick it back up. I also bought Witcher on Steam clearance. Now I don't know if I should finish Skyrim, or start one of the other two. Or maybe I just start acting my age (almost 42).
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I call it the Truman Show Syndrome.

When Truman leaves the set and show turns off. Everyone is looking around and the one person say "What are we going to do now?" and they go outside.

I always think of this when I finish a great game, show, movie series, etc.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Bioware is really good for this. Us weirdos are obsessing about things years later.

But I liked the Mass Effect ending. Don't hurt me.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

I just picked up Fallout 3 GOTY for $5 on Steam summer sale. For no apparent reason I just stopped playing Skyrim pretty early in the game. I've played and finished every ES game since DF and I was making a go at Skyrim, but then went on vacation and haven't felt the urge to pick it back up. I also bought Witcher on Steam clearance. Now I don't know if I should finish Skyrim, or start one of the other two. Or maybe I just start acting my age (almost 42).

Rubbish! Videogames are an all age hobby. Shigeru Miyamoto (creator of some of the most beloved franchises) is pushing 61. He doesn't get sick of playing or creating games. But I know what you mean. Family gets in the way as well as our adult responsibilities like work, chores and such. But my boys, who are 6 and 8, make my hobby so much more fun. Playing Mario Chase, Luigis Mansion, Smash Bros and other games, makes me stay in touch with my hobby. Made it our hobby. But I have yet to even open up my still sealed copy of Skyrim and Resident Evil 6. Speaking of emotions, watching my 8 year old play through and beat Super Mario 2 was a joy. The emotional attatchment to the whole crew was evident when he realized he couldn't play as Toad nor Princess in SMB3. He also couldn't comprehend why Shy Guy and Birdo and Mouser weren't in part 3 either. It brings me joy to see my next generation enjoy the classics of our generation and to see that same emotional attatchment as well.
  • JaneDough_
    JaneDough_ Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Multi-player online is crack. Seriously. You will get addicted and 10 years later still be playing.
  • fat_harrie
    Options
    I must admit, I'm a little intimidated by Multi-Player online... (I know, I know! lol)

My 6 year old loves the lego franchise, DC comics, Star wars, indiana Jones, the works!