A few questions from a newbie

Options
j99li
j99li Posts: 421 Member
Hi,

I seem to have lots of questions regarding SL. I hope the lovely ladies in this group can help me out :)

I just started this week, and am about to go into my 3rd workout tomorrow where I will be doing workout A again. The first time I did it, I definitely felt it at 65lbs. I was able to get through the entire thing. However, I dont think I will be able to add a 5lb increase. Is it ok to keep going at the beginners weight until I get used to things? How many times should I do the beginning weight before moving on?

I also am on my TOM today. Does it affect performance on SL?

Currently, I spin on Tues and Thurs and I do SL Mon, Wed, and Fri. I definitely felt it in my quads when I did spin today. At what week/weight did you stop doing cardio and just have rest days? Or what are some other cardio routines are you doing? I dont know if I want to stop cardio because I still want to lose weight.

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I would add weight when you are ready, although you might be surprised by the amount of weight you can handle. Newbie gains are very real :)

As for your other question, I seem to be strongest during my period. I don't quite understand why that is, but hey, I'll take it.

Cardio: that's been discussed in a few recent threads. Don't be afraid to drop it, but you shouldn't have to if you feel you are recovering adequately even while doing cardio on non-lifting days.
  • j99li
    Options
    bumble, will I still be able to lose the necessary weight without cardio?
  • bumblebums
    Options

Weight loss is a matter of eating at a deficit--you don't need cardio for it (have a look at the other threads in the last few weeks that discuss it). The New Rules of Lifting for Women book also has some useful discussion.
  • cbart2818
    cbart2818 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    From my own experience, if I am able to get through 5x5, even if it was tough, I still add weight. If I can't get through 5 reps on any set, I will usually try the same weight twice and if I fail on the second attempt, I will drop the weight down a bit.

My upper body strength sucks, so instead of increasing by 5lbs per side, I do 2.5lbs per side on my OHP and BP. I have had much better results this way.

I even use adjustable ankle weights which allow me to add 0.5 - 1.5lbs per side to the bar. I enjoy being able to add a little bit of weight, without having to stay where I am until I can do it.

As for TOM: I can't say I really notice. I do notice when I havn't eaten well or havn't had enough fluids.

Cardio: I still run, bike etc. I am a few months into Stronglifts and at the beginning, I did little Cardio and I still saw great results. Stronglifts is my top priority, Cardio comes second. My body tells me when its had too much. I think it is all on personal choice. If your body can handling, why not, just make sure give time to recover.
  • j99li
    Options
    Thanks! Anyone else with input?
  • j99li
    Options
    so then for my pendlay row... I got through the 5x5, so I should add the 5lbs next time even though I barely finished?
    From my own experience, if I am able to get through 5x5, even if it was tough, I still add weight. If I can't get through 5 reps on any set, I will usually try the same weight twice and if I fail on the second attempt, I will drop the weight down a bit.

My upper body strength sucks, so instead of increasing by 5lbs per side, I do 2.5lbs per side on my OHP and BP. I have had much better results this way.

I even use adjustable ankle weights which allow me to add 0.5 - 1.5lbs per side to the bar. I enjoy being able to add a little bit of weight, without having to stay where I am until I can do it.

As for TOM: I can't say I really notice. I do notice when I havn't eaten well or havn't had enough fluids.

Cardio: I still run, bike etc. I am a few months into Stronglifts and at the beginning, I did little Cardio and I still saw great results. Stronglifts is my top priority, Cardio comes second. My body tells me when its had too much. I think it is all on personal choice. If your body can handling, why not, just make sure give time to recover.
  • cbart2818
    Options

I lost my first 7lbs with very little cardio. Just Stronglifts and keeping better tabs on my calorie intake is what is helping me.
  • cbart2818
    Options
    so then for my pendlay row... I got through the 5x5, so I should add the 5lbs next time even though I barely finished?

If it was me and I got through 5x5 with good form even if it was tough, I would add weight and give it a try. But if by barely finishing means your form was being compromised, I would probably stay where I am a second time. (Sorry I didn't mention that in my first post)

Example: My squats are at a point where it is really starting to challenge me. I did 105lbs 5x5 with good form, so the next workout I did, my squats were upped to 110lbs.

My first attempt I got through the first 4 sets fine, but the 5th set I could barely do 4 reps. So the next workout I stayed at 110lbs. My second attempt still wasn't very good. I made it through 5x5, but my form was not very good on the last two sets. So even though I made it through all 5x5, being that my form was bad, I classify that workout as a fail for me. Since I have failed twice, I am dropping my weight down to 105 and will try again.

Maybe not everyone does it that way but form is key and even though I could do 5x5, if my form doesn't improve on that second attempt workout, adding more weight I risk injury.

I hope that makes sense....really hard to explain. Just do what you feel comfortable with. If you want to stay at your current weight a few more workouts, go for it! You will improve : )

PS - I am not professional, its just my experience since starting Stronglifts and what has been helping me : )
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    If you have an Iphone (not sure if its available on android?) download the stronglifts app set it to increase by 2.5 each time and it does it all for you, so will deload for you after several failed attempts at a weight.

Just don't cheat yourself if your last rep wasn't good form and controlled its a failed rep so don't count it

Good luck :)
  • bumblebums
    Options
    ^^^
    I haven't seen that app for android.

Like everyone else said, the load needs to increase overtime, but by how much and how fast is a matter of personal judgment. In my book, good form always trumps gains. If I cannot do a weight with good form, I would deload even on the same workout.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Lifting buddy for android is free and does the basics, calculating increases and deloads. Works perfectly well :-)
  • bumblebums
    Options
    Well, if you are looking for just an app to log your lifts, you can use MFP. The exercise diary has all the lifts under "strength training". (I actually just write them down in a little notebook because that's what Mark Rippetoe commanded. And the notebook never runs out of batteries.)