wt of baby at birth 1st vs 2nd

Options
Erinthebodo
Erinthebodo Posts: 215 Member
Hi ladies- for those of you mothers who have had a previous child I am wondering what the wt difference was between your first and second. My first was 7 lbs 7 oz and I'm just wondering what I might have this time. I asked my midwife and she said it all depends on when I have him (I'm 32 weeks and am already dilating so she thinks around 37 weeks). Would love to hear what other people have had. Thanks!

Replies

• mommy_hood
    mommy_hood Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My first was 6 lbs 11 oz and my second was 7 lbs 6 oz . both girls both full term
  • cdbarger
    cdbarger Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My first was 8 lbs 8 oz.. My second was 8 lbs even.

I'm thinking this one will be similar.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I think in general, babies get bigger with each pregnancy but so many other factors can take into play like gestational age. My first was a boy born at 37.5 weeks and he weighed 8.08 (thank god he was a bit early). Second was a girl born at 40 weeks, 5 days and she only weighed 8.05......They have different Dads which could be the reason for the major difference in size but I also think it depends on how much you gain. WIth the first I gained 64 lbs.....I gained 42 with the second (although both were mostly water due to preclampsia).

I remember begging my doctor to induce me with my daughter when I got close to my due date because my son was so big at 37.5 weeks. I thought for sure my daughter was going to be a 10 pounder! We'll see what I get this time!
  • rosy003
    rosy003 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Baby 1: girl, 39 weeks 7 lbs 6 oz
    Baby 2: boy, 41 weeks, 8 lbs even
    Baby 3: boy, 40+ weeks, 8 lbs even

Eta: I gained 40 lbs with #1 and 2 and I gained 25 lbs with #3
  • igottaworkout
    igottaworkout Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Baby 1: 7lb 6oz (3 days past due date, gained 25lb)
    Baby 2: 9lb 6oz (born on due date, but I had gestational diabetes with this one, gained 23lb)
    Baby 3: 8lb 4oz (born one day early, gained 26lb)
    Baby 4: ?? :) (due in 9 days, gained 20lb so far, according to the ultrasound it should be about 8lb at birth)

For me it looks like all babies are a bit bigger then my first, but I don't know for sure what to expect with this baby, it is definitely feeling smaller then baby 2 for which I'm super thankful!!
  • ingridveenema
    ingridveenema Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    1st Baby girl born at 37.5 7lb 12ox
    2nd Baby boy 40wks2days 8lb 4oz
    Gained 40lbs with each but was over weight with first to start with. I believe this babe will be more like his or her brother and weigh around 8lbs.:)
  • Erinthebodo
    Options
    Thank you ladies!
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    My first was 10-2, induction/section at 41 1/2 weeks.
    My second was 10-14, spontaneous labor at 42+ weeks.

I imagine that they would have been about the same if they'd both been spontaneous labor, because my body wasn't even sort of ready for labor at 41 weeks, sadly enough.
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Baby 1 @ 40+1 wks = 7lb 4oz
    Baby 2 @ 40+4 wks = 8lb 0oz
    Baby 3 @ 39+5 wks = 8lb 3oz
    Baby 4 @ 41+0 wks = 8lb 13oz

So am expecting baby 5 to be around 9lb+
  • nan199678
    nan199678 Posts: 140
    Options
    I was kinda wondering about my second girl's weight too. With my daughter I could barely eat & she was 8lbs 7oz at 41 weeks induced then c-section. This time I can eat, although I'm being super careful about weight gain because I started out way overweight this time. So far I've gained 7lbs at 22 weeks. Also am striving for a VBAC & will not be inducing. I hope she's not too much bigger than her older sister. :-) :-) :-) :-)
  • _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    #1 - 2 weeks late, 7 lbs 10 oz.
    #2 - born on due date, 8 lbs 2.5 oz.

I can't really guess the size of this one because I'm a gestational surrogate. The baby's parents are both fairly small and their first child was only 6 pounds even though mom had gestational diabetes...so I'm thinking this one might not be a large baby, either. I've carried small with all 3 pregnancies so I can't even base a guess on belly size (my profile pic is current; I'll be 7 months on Saturday and I'm still in pre-pregnancy clothes).
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Baby #1 was 8 lbs. 15 oz. at 41w1d (boy)
    Baby #2 was 7 lbs. 3oz. at 41w3d (boy)
    Baby #3 was 7 lbs. 1.5 oz. at 42w3d (girl)
    Baby #4 was 7 lbs. 7 oz. at 42w0d (girl)
    Baby #5 was 8 lbs. 4 oz. at 41w6d (boy)

So, other than my earliest baby being the biggest, and my latest baby being the smallest, there's quite a bit of variation (almost two pounds!) and not really any pattern to use to guess how big the next one will be! Oh, and I also gained less weight with each subsequent pregnancy. That didn't make any difference at all!
  • cwmp
    cwmp Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    #1: 7lbs 10oz
    #2: 8lbs 9oz
    both boys 14 months apart
    hoping for a girl this time, but if not I'm still happy.
  • Erinthebodo
    Options
    Thank you so much ladies! I'm really hoping for around the same size. Last time I gain 40 lbs and this time I am between 9-10 lbs at 32 weeks but I am not sure if that has anything to do with the baby size or not.
  • BBeccaJean
    BBeccaJean Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Baby #1: 6lbs 13oz @ 37 weeks (I gained 55 lbs)
    Baby #2: 6lbs 7 oz @ 39 weeks (I gained 25 lbs)
  • Erinthebodo
    Options
    Baby #1: 6lbs 13oz @ 37 weeks (I gained 55 lbs)
    Baby #2: 6lbs 7 oz @ 39 weeks (I gained 25 lbs)

Oh this gives me hope!
  • kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Jut had my second yesterday!

#1 : 39+3 (girl) 7lb 11oz Gained 45 pounds.
    #2: 40+5 (boy) 7lb 11oz Gained 23 pounds

Exact same weights!
  • Chubbyhulagirl
    Chubbyhulagirl Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    #1: Boy, 7lbs 5oz born five days before due date, I gained about 35lbs and lost it all plus some afterward
    #2: Girl, 6lbs 5oz born seven days before due date, I gained about 45lbs and lost about 35lbs before getting pregnant again
    #3: Girl, 7lbs 8oz induced one day after due date, I gained about 40lbs plus the 10lbs from previous baby
    #4: Boy, Due in six weeks, currently at 18lbs gain and expecting around the 7lb mark.

:)
  • bed2883
    bed2883 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much ladies! I'm really hoping for around the same size. Last time I gain 40 lbs and this time I am between 9-10 lbs at 32 weeks but I am not sure if that has anything to do with the baby size or not.

Logan was 41 1/2 weeks and weighed 7 lbs 14 oz. I gained over 40 pounds with him.

Nathan was 1 day shy of 39 weeks and weighed 8 lbs 3 oz. I gained less than 25 pounds with him.

So, I'm fully expecting baby girl to be term and weigh about 8 pounds regardless of my weight gain.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    #1 - 7'11'
    #2 - 8'2''
    #3 - 8'11''

My first 2 were exactly 3 days before their due date. My third was 5 days before his due date. I still think they weighed #3 incorrectly though. He was the smallest all around!