Putting off wedding dress shopping...

Options
The earliest I feel comfortable looking for a dress will probably be 4-5 months before my wedding. I am 11 months out right now. I feel pressure to start looking for a dress but there is no way I am going to start looking until I am at a weight I feel more comfortable at. Do you think that will give me enough time to find a dress and get any alterations that are needed?

Replies

• Katey911
    Katey911 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    The store I bought my dress from recommended buying 9 months out. This was written on the paperwork I had to sign which made me nervous because I didn't have 9 months, I had maybe 7. My dress only took 5 months but I was still nervous.

My alterations place told me they recommend starting that process no less than 6 weeks out.

So...maybe, maybe not? It depends where you get your dress, the designer, etc. Some designers take longer. If you're planning on buying from a consignment shop or off the rack, then definitely. But there are a lot of variables in this equation!
  • Itsjustme86
    Itsjustme86 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    If you buy a sample dress right off the shelf you will by fine but you may be very limited in the dresses you can order with only 4-5 months. All of the stores I went to suggested at least 7 months before the wedding. You also need to take into account how long it will take you to decide on a dress if you end up looking for a month you are now down to 3-4 months to order and alter.
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    The bridal shop I asked (as I really want to go dress shopping with my mum 5 months before, rather than on my own) said 16 weeks.
    Give your local bridal shop (or a stockist of some you've seen online) a call and have a chat to them about time frames x
  • ElizabethKG1983
    ElizabethKG1983 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've decided to go 6-7 months out and hopefully will be close enough to my goal weight by then! If not I can always get the dress altered! I want to make sure I have enough time to get the dress I want though! :) Thanks for the input!!!
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Far easier to take it in than let it out! :-)
    6 months ahead will be good I think. Have fun!!!