Double Unders...

Options
kathheen
kathheen Posts: 108 Member
Im struggling and frustrated with not being able to do these i really really want to beat this and be able to do them

So ive had them in 2 WODs so far and both times i have had to just do double the amount of skips instead of the double unders. Ive been practising but failing :noway: i think i might be over thinking it now!

Anyone got any tips?

Replies

• nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad, I can't do them either. You'll get there. Give it some time :)
  • melmckay99
    melmckay99 Posts: 358
    Options
    It's all about timing, and then muscle memory. One you get it it's like riding a bike, you just don't forget it. Keep on practising!
  • littlelawson83
    Options
    I've been crossfitting since Dec and stilll can't do double unders *sadface* Oh well, I'll get there eventually. I can bring the rope around twice in one skip (not a very technical explanation!) but it always stops at my feet... I can't actually do the skip part, I'm not sure if it's speed or what? any tips for that?
  • lilmissmanx
    lilmissmanx Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound really smug, but I picked up DU's straight away, just couldn't string many together as my fitness was letting me down. But I regularly have WODs where I totally lose the mojo and can't do more than 2 in a row without tripping up on the speed rope or whipping myself. Sometimes you just can't do them!

But agree with other posters, practice, practice practice. I practice mine and I can now knock out a continuous 30 when I have the mojo! Try really exaggerating the jump then you'll definitely get feet clearance. Then its just a question of efficiency and technique.

Also have you checked the rope is the right length for you? Too long or short and you'll have problems. Maybe try a different rope too, I think some have heavier cables, different bearings in the handles etc....
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    I bought a rope from Amazon now I'm crushing double unders
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    The rope makes a HUGE difference. First: it needs to be properly sized, ESPECIALLY if you are learning. Once you have them, the length isn't such a big deal, but at first it's critical. Second: weight matters. A heavier rope will serve you a little better. Third: it's all about timing. Remember; SLOW JUMP-- FAST WHIP.

Stay calm when you are jumping. All of the movement should come from your wrists. Hold the rope by the tips of the handles and keep your hands close to your body. If your hands travel out the rope shortens and you'll trip yourself.

YOU MUST PRACTICE AT HOME. You will not magically get DU during a WOD. Give yourself a goal of 100 DU a day. I'm not kidding. 100!

They just take time. This is one of the few Crossfit movements that is 100% SKILL.
  • wiginn
    wiginn Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Completely agree that it's a combination of lots of practice and using the right jump rope. I could not get them with the jump ropes at the box. I bought a jump rope from RX Jump ropes and carry it with me faithfully to CrossFit every day. It took months and now I can finally do them fairly consistently, but just can't string more than two together. My rhythm is typically single, single, double, single, double, single, until I trip up. :-)

And the fact that at our box if you cannot do doubles you have to do five times as many singles provided motivation, too!
  • michimew11
    michimew11 Posts: 13
    Options
    Karincakes is absolutely right. The rope makes all the difference. I like Rogue's ultra speed or custom jump ropes. Getting a lighter weight will help in getting the rope around faster and/or stringing more DU's together.

I'm still getting better at them - but using a different rope changed my perspective in everything - that DU's are possible!
  • KellyL23
    KellyL23 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Keep practicing, and flick the wrists. You will start stringing them together soon, but practice every day. I am now stringing together 20-22, where I was just at 10 3 months ago.
  • CindyC60
    CindyC60 Posts: 30
    Options
    Double Unders is an exercise I don't really understand the value of. I mean, where in any real life situation do you have to be able to flip a rope over your head twice during one jump?

My advice is don't worry about is so much and instead focus on things you are good at.
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I find that if you did much jump rope before, DUs tend to come easier. If you aren't that comfortable jumping rope just doing single unders, then I suggest you practice building up your technique here first. Tight elbows, quick wrists and get really good at regular jump rope. This will help your DU development massively.
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I can't do them either - I've only tried them in one class (I didn't even think about the value of practicing them! DUH.), but the one time I tried them, I literally fell flat on my butt mid-jump. I was concentrating so hard on jumping that I forgot about landing. :laugh:
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    get really good at your singles, keeping your arms in and only flicking your wrists to whip the rope around, try to jump using almost a hollow body position. start throwing in doubles... so double, single, single, double, single single (tempo jumps) and as you get more comfortable cut out the singles. took me forever but im still not always consistent with them.

spealler goes through really fast, but give a few good pointers to keep in mind(biggest for me- arms in, and focal point!!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7XjUbUpeHE
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    The rope makes a HUGE difference. First: it needs to be properly sized, ESPECIALLY if you are learning. Once you have them, the length isn't such a big deal, but at first it's critical. Second: weight matters. A heavier rope will serve you a little better. Third: it's all about timing. Remember; SLOW JUMP-- FAST WHIP.

Stay calm when you are jumping. All of the movement should come from your wrists. Hold the rope by the tips of the handles and keep your hands close to your body. If your hands travel out the rope shortens and you'll trip yourself.

YOU MUST PRACTICE AT HOME. You will not magically get DU during a WOD. Give yourself a goal of 100 DU a day. I'm not kidding. 100!

They just take time. This is one of the few Crossfit movements that is 100% SKILL.

I agree with this. I bought my own rope to my size. Practiced at home. The other tip that helped me was that I used to jump and bend my knees up (like almost kick my butt) but the instructor showed us just to jump up straight and high. He also said to keep your elbows tucked to your side, wrists out. Once I put all these together (i got the advice the same day my new rope came), I started doing a whole lot better.
  • kathheen
    kathheen Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies – I watched a couple of you tube videos on how to and once I stop trying to jump so high and panicking I MIGHT actually manage even one.

I can get the rope round twice but like littlelawson8 it stops at my feet. I will check for a good rope im 5ft 2 and using ropes that come up to my head they aren’t adjustable so I was just trying to wrap them round my wrist not the best way to achieve I guess!

Definately going to get lots of practice in thanks again everyone
  • littlelawson83
    Options
    Oh btw my coach TRIPLES the amount of double unders for those doing singles :noway: ... he's ex marines... you can tell!!
  • difabu
    difabu Posts: 143
    Options

I agree with this. I bought my own rope to my size. Practiced at home. The other tip that helped me was that I used to jump and bend my knees up (like almost kick my butt) but the instructor showed us just to jump up straight and high. He also said to keep your elbows tucked to your side, wrists out. Once I put all these together (i got the advice the same day my new rope came), I started doing a whole lot better.

Gonna incorporate both of these.

As for the OP, I've been doing CrossFit since February 11th and *just* got my first DU two weeks ago. Don't know how I did it, but kept practicing and now getting them more consistently, and faster. THIS week, I've been able to string 2 together. It's coming along slowly, but slow progress is still progress. Just keep at it and don't get frustrated. I definitely get tripped up when I allow myself to become frustrated. So I generally practice 10-12 minutes a few times a week.

Edited to Add: Getting my own Rx jumprope at the SoCal Regionals really helped, I think. It's measured for my height and I got a white rope so that I can see it against the dark floors in the box. I don't know about others but, as a beginner, it helps me to see the rope when I'm jumping.
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Oh btw my coach TRIPLES the amount of double unders for those doing singles :noway: ... he's ex marines... you can tell!!

My coaches do 3:1 too!!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

I'm heading on vacation at the beach on Friday for a week. I am going to pick up a jump rope and work on these while I'm there. I already have tracked down a box that is fairly close to where I'm staying so I get in a WOD or two while I'm there. I printed a list of them too so I have no excuses. I am right on the beach so might do some of the sprint/burpee ones. Will be interesting to do those in the sand.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I'm heading on vacation at the beach on Friday for a week. I am going to pick up a jump rope and work on these while I'm there. I already have tracked down a box that is fairly close to where I'm staying so I get in a WOD or two while I'm there. I printed a list of them too so I have no excuses. I am right on the beach so might do some of the sprint/burpee ones. Will be interesting to do those in the sand.

That is punishment there. Have fun!