Box Jumps... Tips anyone?

Options
Ceffy
Ceffy Posts: 235
I've got a massive mental block about a number of activities at the Box, Wall walks, hand stands, etc but I the one I want to master first is Box Jumps, I can currently do 10" so at the moment I step up at 20/24" for WODs. I was working on a 10" box with a 25kg plate on top making it about 12/14" but even that was terrifying!

I just can't bring myself to jump when I have a bigger box in front of me... my Coach is a "learn by trying" kinda guy, which is great for most things but my fear's stopping me doing that in this case.

Any tips would be great.

Replies

• cbarn025
    cbarn025 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    It's gonig to be difficult to describe. But to build confidence what you can have someone do well actually you are going to need 2 ppl. Have one stand on each side of you facing you while you face them and the box. Have them put a hand out palm up. You place your hand on their hands palm down. Like you're being sworn in and kind of push off of their hands. They have to keep their hands steady and strong. It won't help much but it usually gives enough to help ppl try a new height. I hope you understand.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    We tested for max height last week and you definitely have to psych yourself up a bit to do that jump (got up to 33.5 inches. Best in our box did 62 inches but he is a freak.)

We also have a folding pad that you can put over the box and plates you are jumping onto. Knowing you aren't going to destroy your shins if you miss helps quite a bit.

Keep working the lower box for reps. When you are banging out 10 or 20 at that height you should be more confident and know that you can raise the height a bit. If you can do that 14 inches every time, keep doing it. After a while you will forget to be scared, then you add a plate.

I'm just starting and it's a long process overall. Be patient and don't beat yourself up too much of one of the moves comes slower than others for you.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I was on vacation and was jumping up onto table surface of a picnic bench. Doing that the first time was scary. Just have to get up there with confidence and try to jump higher than the box
  • michimew11
    michimew11 Posts: 13
    Options
    My sister gave me the best advise ever. I had a mental block to jump up on a 14" box with an additional 4 inches in plates. I negotiated the box for 45 minutes before I found the nerve to try and jump, but chickened out at the last moment.

She reminded me that I played soccer my entire childhood/high school --- and that I would get kicked/fall hard all the time. And that if I had a box fail - it would probably hurt less than what I used to endure playing soccer. Then I jumped, and cleared 18!

Also - for my own mental blockness --- sometimes I wear shin guards - just in case.

I completely understand the fear.
  • CindyC60
    CindyC60 Posts: 30
    Options
    Just do what you know you can do without getting injured, and don't worry about it if someone else is jumping higher. Maybe they didn't have the same experiences you had with jumping on something that fell with you or hurting your legs while jumping.

We do some box jumps in the boot camp I'm in, and if I am getting tired towards the end of the class and am not sure I can make the jump to one of the higher boxes I've jumped in the past, I just jump on a lower one instead. It's better to be safe than have sore, scraped legs!
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    do the 20' with your hands on the box until you are comfortable (almost like a surfboard pop up, except you aren't sideways). i did it that way for a few weeks before i progressed to the 24 inch box.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    It's gonig to be difficult to describe. But to build confidence what you can have someone do well actually you are going to need 2 ppl. Have one stand on each side of you facing you while you face them and the box. Have them put a hand out palm up. You place your hand on their hands palm down. Like you're being sworn in and kind of push off of their hands. They have to keep their hands steady and strong. It won't help much but it usually gives enough to help ppl try a new height. I hope you understand.

I really like this idea. I think I will use it.
  • Ceffy
    Options
    do the 20' with your hands on the box until you are comfortable (almost like a surfboard pop up, except you aren't sideways). i did it that way for a few weeks before i progressed to the 24 inch box.

I like this idea and the one about the two people.

I guess practice is the key, its just with some things I feel that no matter how much I could ever practice I wouldn't get it.

Thanks for your help guys
  • CindyC60
    CindyC60 Posts: 30
    Options
    My advice on the matter is when you feel ready to jump on the higher boxes, you will. And when that time comes, it will no longer feel as intimidating as it did before.

But if you try to force yourself to do it before you are mentally ready, it could lead to a leg scrape accident that will make box jumping even more intimidating in the future.

So if anyone is putting pressure on you to jump on a higher box, just tell them it will happen when it feels right.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    My advice on the matter is when you feel ready to jump on the higher boxes, you will. And when that time comes, it will no longer feel as intimidating as it did before.

But if you try to force yourself to do it before you are mentally ready, it could lead to a leg scrape accident that will make box jumping even more intimidating in the future.

So if anyone is putting pressure on you to jump on a higher box, just tell them it will happen when it feels right.

No one is pressuring me. Most days there are 3 levels of WOD, level 3 always has a low box jump. Plus my instructor constant reminds us to scale accordingly. *I* am the one who wants to progress. I am also quite capable of jumping higher, it is a mental block thing, which I think the suggestion above specifically deals with.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    My advice:

1) Just do it. The likely worst that happens if you miss is scraped shins. Does it hurt? Sure...but it isn't *that* bad.
    2) If #1 doesn't work for you (and I will openly acknowledge that it may not), then just *don't* do it...yet. Continued use of the shorter boxes should build your confidence until you are able to try the taller boxes.
    3) I like the idea of someone "holding your hands" in that it gives you something to lean on to keep your balance in case you miss it. That said, it will also decrease your ability to jump higher.
    4) Maybe something that might help...(or might not)...would be something we did as part of our warmup where we jumped *over* boxes of increasing (and then decreasing height). The middle/tallest box was 24". Scaled option was to jump on and then over the boxes. I initially commented that I would be doing that on the tallest box...and then I decided to give it a shot. Cleared it easily...and felt damn good about it too.

Best of luck to you...and remember, if all else fails, patience and persistence has a way of accomplishing things we never thought were possible. Stick with what you can do until you are confident that you're ready to do more.

ETA: Proud father moment: My 8 yo son joined me for a family WOD on July 4th...he and I were partners on a fairly substantial WOD. He not only did his half of all of the movements, but on a couple of them, did more than half...and on overhead walking lunges, did *all* of them (with a 10 pound plate). It was awesome. My favorite moment was the box jumps. Men's rx was 24", women's 20". We tested his ability and he said he could do the 24" box. I figured he would do 3 or 4 and then I'd have to knock out the rest. Wrong. He did 25 straight before reluctantly letting me do the remaining 25. They got a picture of him and the woman next to us mid-WOD...a remarkably fit competitive athlete level woman standing atop her rx 20" box...with my son next to her skying above ready to stick his landing on the 24" box. :smile:

ETAM: I overlooked OP's comment about things other than box jumps...and can relate to the handstands especially. I still get butterflies when I kick up onto the wall...or even just tripod without the wall. Not sure what my fear is...if I overshoot, I just bump the wall...or if in the open, I just land on my heels. It isn't particularly dangerous, but there's just something unnerving about being upside down. For me, that is. For my son, he can hang out in a handstand with zero worries. *jealous*
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Many people have issues being inverted. it is not a human's natural state. it takes practice to get used to being upside down and still know where you are.

As for the box... my first 20" jumps I stopped myself right before I leaped the first 3 times. I was freaked. Then I just did it. When you do it the first time all the trepidations go away.

I recently did my first 24" jumps and took a spill and dug the corner of the box into my shin. Not a pretty sight and my leg is still extremely sore. But at the time I simply took a round off then lowered the box to 20" and kept going. 90% of a box jump is mental.

If no one is around to spot you, try a pair of soccer shin guards. They even make socks with a softer shin guard built in. At the very least your mind will know you're protected.

Good Luck.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    My son's advice is, "just do this: http://img23.imageshack.us/i/4bez.jpg/ "

Not particularly helpful...much like his advice to me on getting more T2B: "just do it how I do it...bend your knees and kick the bar. It isn't that hard." (At least on those, even he couldn't do his 25 unbroken. Wait, did I say he did 25? Whoops...because I'm pretty sure he did at least 35 of the 50 total we did.)
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I also train by jumping OVER the bench press seat and high kick by touching my hands to my knees.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    One of our coaches suggested doing box kicks to the top of the box. Basically just stand and jump/tap your foot to the top of the box. She said it not only is a great exercise, but it kind of prepares your brain to not fear the height. If you can easily box kick a 20" then you aren't too far from being ready to just jump up on it.
  • Ceffy
    Options
    [/quote]

No one is pressuring me. Most days there are 3 levels of WOD, level 3 always has a low box jump. Plus my instructor constant reminds us to scale accordingly. *I* am the one who wants to progress. I am also quite capable of jumping higher, it is a mental block thing, which I think the suggestion above specifically deals with.
    [/quote]

^^^ THIS!!

I get myself to the point of tears when I can't get progress on a weakness.
    My coach says it'll come with time and practise but its the mental block, you can't practise that away!
  • Ceffy
    Options
    [/quote]

ETAM: I overlooked OP's comment about things other than box jumps...and can relate to the handstands especially. I still get butterflies when I kick up onto the wall...or even just tripod without the wall. Not sure what my fear is...if I overshoot, I just bump the wall...or if in the open, I just land on my heels. It isn't particularly dangerous, but there's just something unnerving about being upside down. For me, that is. For my son, he can hang out in a handstand with zero worries. *jealous*
    [/quote]

Your son sounds amazing, part of me wishes I'd been more active when I was younger and fearless!
  • Ceffy
    Options
    I got them!!!! :D
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Go Ceffy Go!
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I got them!!!! :D