Please, please help. I want to understand how to do this

Options
sevenate9
sevenate9 Posts: 5 Member
I had my first session in Tuesday and was expecting some muscle pain but nothing. I think I lifted too light. I think I did everything wrong. I did workout A and started at 10,15,20,25,30 for each exercise. I am sure this is wrong. 25 started feeling a bit heavier but I really didn't feel that challenged until 30. Am I correct in thing that I should start at at least 45?

Could some please tell me what weight to start at with each exercise? I enjoyed the feeling of lifting but I felt that I wasn't really challenging myself.

Please, please help!

Replies

• carolyn0613
    carolyn0613 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I would try to lift the weight just once. If it is a challenge then go for the 5 reps. If it isn't then keep trying the next weight up until you find the weight that is a challenge. Do your 5 reps with that weight. If you feel that you can continue after the 5 reps then stop and go up a weight - you should be feeling by the 5th rep that it's really hard and you are really pushing yourself.
  • sevenate9
    Options
    Ok, thank you for that. I thought I saw somewhere that you are supposed to start with a particular weight with each exercise. I am still a little confused but what you said makes a lot of sense.

Thank you again :)
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Typically you start with the empty olympic (oly) bar. This weighs 45 lbs empty. Some people feel that 45 is too light while others find it too heavy. Deadlifts can be started at a higher weight, around 65-85 depending on how you feel with it. There is a reason you start with lighter weights that don't immediately challenge you. The program does move fast at first and the light weights gives you a chance to work on form BEFORE you hit the heavy loads that tend to break form down. Proper form not only reduces the risk for injury, but can also help with the lift.

If you have already been lifting with a barbell, you *can* start a little higher, but I recommend only starting around 65 lbs. For the squat, really work on going ATG or just below parallel. Learning the correct form from the beginning will save you deloaded time later to work on form.

And if I haven't mentioned it yet, take the time with the lower weight to work on form :wink: The weight will start getting heavy soon enough.
  • sevenate9
    Options
    So to clarify for my first set of 5 I use 45lb? my next set 50 then 55, 60 ending with 65lbs for the last set of 5? For the deadlift I start with 65lbs and move up in 5 lbs increments but only do 3 sets, I believe?
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    So to clarify for my first set of 5 I use 45lb? my next set 50 then 55, 60 ending with 65lbs for the last set of 5? For the deadlift I start with 65lbs and move up in 5 lbs increments but only do 3 sets, I believe?

No. You need to do 5 sets of 5 repetitions at a set weight. Since you are just starting you need to find a weight that is challenging enough for you and start from there. For example Bench Press. Lets say that an empty barbell (45lbs) is challenging for you. You will lift that barbell 5 x 5. If you complete all the sets five times the next workout A you will increase your weight by 5lbs, mening that you will do your bench press @50lbs (5x5). The same with all the other lifts. Find a challenging weight to start, do your 5 x 5, and increaase 5lbs per workout and not per set.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options

No. You need to do 5 sets of 5 repetitions at a set weight. Since you are just starting you need to find a weight that is challenging enough for you and start from there. For example Bench Press. Lets say that an empty barbell (45lbs) is challenging for you. You will lift that barbell 5 x 5. If you complete all the sets five times the next workout A you will increase your weight by 5lbs, mening that you will do your bench press @50lbs (5x5). The same with all the other lifts. Find a challenging weight to start, do your 5 x 5, and increaase 5lbs per workout and not per set.

Yes, that. Also, do you have an iphone or android? There's a free Stronglifts app that helps you keep track of the weight and tells you what weight you're supposed to be at for the different exercises. If the recommended starting weight is too high, you can adjust for your needs. I wouldn't start at a higher than the recommended weight. Even if the first few weeks seem easy, the weight quickly increases as you add 5 - 10 lbs per week on each exercise. Focus on form for the first few weeks. Also, read Tameko's Summary - lots of useful info and clearer than on the SL website.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
  • sevenate9
    Options
    Thank you so much all of you for your help. I was sure that I had got wrong it wrong at some point and you prove to me that I was right about being :).

I understand a lot more now and will go to the gym tonight with renewed excitement at trying some proper weights.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 is straight across. That means you pick ONE weight for EACH lift for EACH workout, and you work out with that weight during that lifting session.

That means on the first day that you do squats, you pick, say, 45 pounds for your squats. You then do 5 sets of 5 reps at 45 pounds.
    The second workout you go up 5 pounds and therefore pick 50 pounds for your squats. You then do 5 sets of 5 reps at 50 pounds.

On the first day that you do deadlifts, you pick, say, 95 pounds for your deadlifts. You then do 1 set of 5 reps at 95 pounds.
    The next time you do deadlifts, you add 5 pounds and therefore do 1 set of 5 reps at 100 pounds.

You're supposed to start the program with the empty Olympic bar which weighs 45 pounds. On deadlifts you should be able to lift more, so the suggested starting weight for those is 95 pounds.

But those are not set in stone! You can absolutely start with less!

It's not recommended that you start with more, however, because starting at low weights helps you focus on the proper form because these lifts are very technical. So don't pick a starting weight that you struggle with; pick a starting weight that feels light to you. That's important! It will get heavy very quickly, and you must have good form in order to prevent injury.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    It's not recommended that you start with more, however, because starting at low weights helps you focus on the proper form because these lifts are very technical. So don't pick a starting weight that you struggle with; pick a starting weight that feels light to you. That's important! It will get heavy very quickly, and you must have good form in order to prevent injury.

QFT.

See FORM. Start lower to focus on getting it right. It should not be immediately challenging. I could squat 135 before starting, but dropped to 65 lbs to work on my form.
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Also, don't forget that you want to do warm up sets at a lower weight. If your working weight is 45 pounds, then you'll want to find something other than an Olympic barbell for your warm up sets. When I first started, I used a 25 pound barbell for my 2 x 5 warm up set. Then I used a 35 pound barbell for my next warm up set of 1 x 3. Then I did my work weight set at 45 pounds for 5 x 5. Now that I'm stronger, I can use the empty barbell for my warm ups but don't feel like you have to start at that weight if you're new to lifting.

My gym has fixed weight barbells if various weights but if yours doesn't, you can use dumbbells for your warm up sets. It's very important that you warm up first.

I second the suggestion for the app. It will help you keep track of everything.