TDEE and VSG

Options
mrscewinters
mrscewinters Posts: 38 Member
I am about 18 months post op. I am at my half way point after a set back. I read ALOT and then some more to find something that works the best for me. How many are still on the 800 calorie plan vs how many use MFP settings vs the TDEE project? Thanks for any info and suggestions.

Replies

• mrscewinters
    Options
    PS looking for friends to continue learning with! :D
  • wink77
    wink77 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of the TDEE project. Do tell.

I am almost 10 weeks post op. I have found my dietician and Dr.'s recommendations to be the best for me and I log my food and exercise on MFP daily.
  • mrscewinters
    Options
    TDEE is Total Daily Energy Expenditure. The amount of calories that you body uses a day. My center lost our Nutritionist, I haven't met the new one. And I almost never see my surgeon. I have a nurse practitioner that I go back and forth with..... :D
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I'm four months post op and already going with what MFP recommends in order to lose 2 pounds a week. which is 1240 but I don't eat back my exercise calories.. maybe I'll eat back a few.. like if I burn 1100 extra calories per my Bodymedia Fit, I might eat back 100-200 of them.

I have a slightly larger sleeve capacity which is why I'm able to eat so much so early out and I'm fine with it, the weight is just coming off slower.
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I'm coming up on my three month mark next week. I just looked up TDEE and had a good laugh. There is no way I can eat moderately healthy and make that many calories unless I eat non-stop.

I've gotten as high as 1400 cal in a day and that was three restaurant meals in the day.

When I'm 18 months out, maybe I'll be able to work on TDEE, after all I hope I'm down a lot more and my calories will be much lower. I worry about not getting enough calories to keep my metabolism as high as it should be, but I'm taking it by how I'm feeling when eating.

Did you see the other post about the 5 day Pouch Reset? That might be something you want to read and consider. Of course it is written for Roux-N-Y, but it seems like it would be a good reset for VSG too.

As with all postings, I'm not a doctor, nor did I sleep in a chain motel last night, so YMMV.

Best of luck, and thanks for the post.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    At over 18 months out sticking to 800 calories a day will be really hard, its much easier in the first few months since your appetite is so suppressed. I would think that the TDEE or a 1200 for females/ 1500 for males min calorie could also work to loose weight. i was in the 800-1000 calories but found it very hard. Due to stress I'm eating a lot more, but most days under my TDEE, about 1600 (ps I'm a petite female). SO at this time I havent lost anything, I did gain about a pound, but that week I was out of control and ate a LOT, and since I havent cubed my eating I havent lost that pound yet.

If you want to quickly lose the weight try the 800 calories, but if you find it too hard, then I'm sure you'll succeed on a moderate eating plan.

Good luck :happy:
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,692 Member
    Options
    Where is the post about the 5 day pouch reset? That sounds really interesting. Thanks.
  • reneemosley
    reneemosley Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I eat 900 cals a day and very low carb. I am 14 months out and losses have slowed ALOT! I still have 50 to lose for my personal goal so I remain at 900 until I reach goal.
    I have tried in the last 3 days protein shakes all day and one low carb meal. I have not seen a weight drop yet but it has been interesting. My tiny tummy seems to hold less for that one meal. I I am aware that most of my hunger is actually head hunger.
  • rlshopp6
    rlshopp6 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm 30 months post op, and both my nutritionist and my personal trainer have suggested I eat 1200 calories per day, and I typically don't eat back any exercise or activity calories. I'm close to goal, but would like to lose another 10 pounds. Once I get to my goal weight the nutritionist recommended adding 150-200 calories per day in order to maintain. Of course that's with the right mix of nutrition, getting my protein in, complex carbs, etc.

I'm weight lifting 4 times a week, plus cardio at least 5 days a week, and it takes doing that plus eating at the 1200 cal/day in order for me to lose. I'm definitely gaining muscle at the same time I'm losing fat still, and feel very energetic and satisfied with what I eat, so I'm confident this is right for me. Having the nutritionist able to confirm calories goals, etc. is really important to me. If I were to go just off what MFP recommended, or other people on this site who haven't had surgery, that's not going to be as applicable to our bodies needs.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I'm 3 years out. The first year is a dream. Weight drops off without really trying, and then the honeymoon is over. I always tell people that first year is for you to learn how to eat, and start getting to love exercise. In the end it comes down to the same eating habits and exercise to be successful. TDEE is good to follow. You don't have to do the fad diets, pills, potions any more. The pouch test is a farse. Eat healthy, log everything including liquids, and exercise.
  • mrscewinters
    Options
    Great information from everyone! I appreciate all different perspectives. I guess I should also include I was a different sort of case for a sleeve patient. I only ever had 65 lbs to loose. I had absolutely horrible blood work and was basically a ticking time bomb inside. I have lost half of the weight, and I have a perfect lab results. Just wanting the outside to look the same as the inside. My honeymoon for my sleeve was over fairly quickly. So many people say I am fortunate to not have any complications, but sometimes I wish there where "reminders." I believe in the reset. My nurse practitioner even said she has seen sleeves return to surgery size time and time again on images. I can't honestly say I ever make it 5 days, but I do go back to liquids and soft food when I feel like I am loosing my way. Again thank you so very much everyone.
  • ChrisTina_Fisher
    Options
    I am five months out and can barely get 600 - 800 calories in a day. I am to stay below 10 mg of fat and 10 mg of sugar per item, but I watch my carbs, too. I have lost about 100# since surgery in February. I started out at 383#. I have a hard time eating more than 3 - 4 oz. of meat per meal. Still can't eat more than that, so I have to eat meats that are very high in protein (only allowed to eat three meals a day and no shakes). I was given an earful when I saw my nutritionist, a month ago, since I wasn't eating fruits or vegetables, yet. She didn't even give me a chance to explain that if I did, I wouldn't get my required amount of protein in, which is around 60 - 80 mg. I am glad that I only have to see her once in the three years of required followup appointments. I, too, see a nurse practitioner every month. I've only seen my surgeon four times. Once before surgery, twice while in the hospital, and once after the surgery.

I had never heard of TDEE and don't think I could ever eat as many calories a day that MFP recommends. Even before surgery I was given a 1200 calorie a day diet, as I cannot walk very well due to degenerative joints in my knees. I need a knee replacement and am looking into having that done, soon. I was, surprisingly, able to get into our above ground pool last week and am hoping it's nice out tomorrow or the next day that my husband is off so I can try again. Last year I couldn't get up and down the ladder at all.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I am two years out and currently working my TDEE, and althought I have not lost weight, I am firming up, and not so flabby. My Dr recommended me get off the 1200 cals, especially while weight lifting because your body burns more post lifting than just cardio.\

I still can not eat a lot, I just insure I eat more protein for my body.