age appropriate clothing?

Options
I just turned 40 on Tues and I have a question for the fab 40's. I am havinging trouble finding something between old lady and teenage clothes. Does anyone worry about age approriate?

Replies

• QueenWino
    QueenWino Posts: 106
    Options
    Absolutely. I can't wear the same clothes as the 20 something young woman I raised. The skirts have to start getting a little longer, the shorts longer, the tops mature (but not old lady sparkly, gaudy!). No shopping at a Wet Seal or Abercrombie. I like Gwyneth Paltrow's jeans, luxurious t's, and blazers. Oprah magazine does a great job of showing how women look good at different decades.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    nope.
    I say, that if you have the body.
    wear what you want.
  • deb_137
    deb_137 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    nope.
    I say, that if you have the body.
    wear what you want.

Used to say that until me and my "posse" turned 40. That was in the upper low cut jeans era. Then my philosophy switched to "Just because you can wear, doesn't mean you should". 40 year old butt crack ain't good at any size :-)
  • grdnr03
    grdnr03 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Yes I try to stay age appropriate and I agree so should some other ladies but that's their dumb doing!
  • grdnr03
    grdnr03 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Oh and Happy Birthday!!:flowerforyou:
  • Chunkilious
    Options
    Just because the number goes up every year doesn't - shouldn't - mean you get all dowdy!! I'm 44 this year and I dress like I feel. No I don't dress in skimpy clothes, but I defo don't dress like a frump either. I have always preferred the classy casual look. 40's 50's and 60's are not what they were when we were kids, we are now all healthier, fitter and socially more interactive than before.
  • deb_137
    deb_137 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Just because the number goes up every year doesn't - shouldn't - mean you get all dowdy!! I'm 44 this year and I dress like I feel. No I don't dress in skimpy clothes, but I defo don't dress like a frump either. I have always preferred the classy casual look. 40's 50's and 60's are not what they were when we were kids, we are now all healthier, fitter and socially more interactive than before.

Agree 100% There is a huge difference between dressing in what the current style is for the 20s out there and dressing stylish for your own age, body type, and preference. Frumpy is as bad as skimpy in my opinion. Clothes are meant to enhance not to hide.
  • melwharris91
    melwharris91 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    When I buy clothes I don't think about whether something is age appropriate or not. I look for something that is comfortable and flattering to my figure. One of my best friends is over 50 and rocks out stuff she buys from forever 21 (needless to say she's skinny as a twig ). My advice is to find clothing that flatters the part of your figure you like the best regardless of the store you get it from. As my husband used to say to me "don't dress like your mother"
  • maybaby916
    maybaby916 Posts: 24
    Options
    Happy birthday! You look fabulous! I agree with melwharris and chunkilious.
    I like to search on Pinterest to check out what styles women in their 40's like. Check it out and have fun shopping :)
  • jeniferwills
    Options
    I also like comfortable and flattering to the figure. I've never dressed in a really revealing manner, though.

I feel like, at my age, I know my style better. And I enjoy playing up my style. Flattering doesn't have to be skimpy. Sexy doesn't have to be trashy.

That being said, I don't feel as though I have a right to judge anyone for how they dress. I think people should dress in whatever makes them feel happy and confident.

Jen
  • MurphDogsMom
    Options
    Great topic,. I was just talking to my husband about this yesterday because I bought two dresses that are well above the knees. I say if looks current and I feel comfortable I am going to wear it. Your right though it seems to be more difficult in the 40s to not dress like a teenage OR an old lady.
  • scwilson38
    scwilson38 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday!! I turned 40 on August 24th and was thinking the same thing. I have been told that I dress like an old lady.
  • schonsdragon
    schonsdragon Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    When I buy clothes I don't worry about if it is age appropriate at all. I worry about how does it fit and is it flattering on me while looking classy. I do love to wear short dresses and get compliments on them. I used to be worried about being age appropriate but a friend told me I was dressing like and old lady and took me clothes shopping. I found that I like younger clothes and they look good on me and I feel sassy in them.

The funniest thing I was told recently, we were out to dinner with a group. I was told how cute and classy I looked, they loved the purple in my hair, and told my husband was lucky man to have such a lovely young wife. That was until they found out I my age, then they were I am too old to have purple in my hair and my clothes were too young for me.
  • cindirookbanman
    cindirookbanman Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I think the trick to looking good in an age appropriate way comes with a place of maturity. (A great reason why I joined THIS group instead of 40+ only or ladies only) And by that, I mean this - I will attempt to explain.

When I was in my 20's, my mindset was this "looking good totally meant looking sexy" At this stage in my life, it's not quite the same thing. My aim is to look - "sexitarian" - fantastic, but still office professional not street professional. Looking sexy is still cool, but more laidback...the impression I want to present is "she looks beautiful/great" not "I want to take that home right now!"

(disclaimer: my profile pic was definitely a day I was going for a[more mature] sexy look)
  • cindirookbanman
    cindirookbanman Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    When I was in my 20's, my mindset was this "looking good totally meant looking sexy" At this stage in my life, it's not quite the same thing. My aim is to look - "sexitarian" - fantastic, but still office professional not street professional. Looking sexy is still cool, but more laidback...the impression I want to present is "she looks beautiful/great" not "I want to take that home right now!"

One other thing - youngsters tend to show A LOT of skin - show it off, but if you can keep most of it covered up, you'll stay "age appropriate"

Re-pinned this on Pinterest lately "Your clothes should be tight enough to show you're a woman, and loose enough to show you're a lady" - Marilyn Munroe
  • hippechickie
    hippechickie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have long legs and nice boobs. My shorts are short and my shirts are sometimes low. I was once told by a man, if you draw attention to your breasts then your belly is not as noticable. I know this is totally lame. But I can dress this way and still look good.. Many, young girls today, do not have the right figure for the clothes that they wear; their clothes fit inappropriately. So, I guess my point is, I believe, that figure appropriate dress seems to be more important than age appropriate, .
  • wendybirdgirl
    wendybirdgirl Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I like to find "style icons", and then look for clothes that I think they might wear, but way, way cheaper ;). Then I stick with what I know works for my body type (hide my thighs, emphasize my waist). Currently i like clothes worn by Sharon Osborne or Rachel Zoe. And they are both shorties like me.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" tall and weigh, as of this morning, 147 lbs. I CAN fit in teenager clothes, sort of. They are frequently cut wrong in the bust (too tight), too short in the waist, arms, and legs. Strangely, the actual waist itself is too big around and tend to settle LOW on my hips. Women's clothes tend to be OK in the chest, too short in the waist, arms, and legs. The waist and butt are too big around. It's very frustrating. I also love vintage clothes/shoes. I can't do that either. I could fit a vintage woman and her shoe collection in my shoe(11). They were tiny. I'm wondering if I should learn to sew clothes. It looks a whole heck of a lot harder than the upholstery I finally learned but I do have a decent sewing a machine at least. *Sigh* who are they making these clothes for?
  • hippechickie
    Options
    I think it is cool to have your own style. Age is not a factor.
  • hippechickie
    Options
    Do you mean alter clothing vice actually making an outfit? I sew. It is not hard but it takes practice. I would recommend to take your clothes to a seamstress and let her help you get a proper fit.