Weightlifting

Options
AmIhealthyyet
AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
I want to suggest to all of us doing the 50 pound challenge to include weight lifting in our schedules. I am a personal trainer and massage therapist and the results I have seen in others who have lifted while losing is incredible. Many of our fears with lifting are unfounded, we won't bulk up (the women in the group) and we won't damage our already hurting bodies! Our joints will feel better when the muscles that move them become stronger. We will burn more calories as we create more muscles in our body. As we lose weight it will help us have the toned look we desire. There are many exercises suitable based on our current condition. I was going to post some helpful links but when I googled "weightlifting for the overweight person" I had a million links came up. You don't have to get fancy, you just have to start!

Replies

• healthymelisa
    healthymelisa Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking about lifting weights for awhile, my only problem is that I don't know where to start. In the past, I have only done cardio. I don't know where to begin or what to to do. Any help would be greatful :smile:
  • AmIhealthyyet
    Options
    I have been thinking about lifting weights for awhile, my only problem is that I don't know where to start. In the past, I have only done cardio. I don't know where to begin or what to to do. Any help would be greatful :smile:

I sent you some ideas!
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting for a while. Started last fall with a trainer, had some trouble transitioning to working solo, but finally have a routine I can live with, and enjoy.

Probably because I was already lifting, when I tried the NROLFW it didn't feel intense enough for me. But I found a site called "My Fitness Bliss" which has let me build my own routine. The only thing is that it doesn't show you an estimated duration. So, a month later, I'm still tweaking to get my weight times back down to an hour. Right now, I'm slightly over doing it at 90 minutes, and missing my cardio pool time.
  • AmIhealthyyet
    Options
    I've been lifting for a while. Started last fall with a trainer, had some trouble transitioning to working solo, but finally have a routine I can live with, and enjoy.

Probably because I was already lifting, when I tried the NROLFW it didn't feel intense enough for me. But I found a site called "My Fitness Bliss" which has let me build my own routine. The only thing is that it doesn't show you an estimated duration. So, a month later, I'm still tweaking to get my weight times back down to an hour. Right now, I'm slightly over doing it at 90 minutes, and missing my cardio pool time.

This is GREAT! thrilled to hear it! It is amazing how many work out sites on line they have, most for free! I always joke about myself, saying 'underneath all this extra weight IS an awesome body", while it may not be awesome it will sure look better when my weight comes off then it would with outs the exercise!
  • NatashaShen
    NatashaShen Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I can't afford a trainer or any equipment. But I've been doing more activities with my little 2lb weights, and boy can I feel a difference.