Condensation and prescription glasses

Options
Blesmols
Blesmols Posts: 35 Member
I have a question for you all, if you don't mind. I bike at night to help avoid some of the heat index 100+ days our state is known for having. Unfortunately, some nights aren't much cooler than 88 degrees and humid as heck. In the winter, it gets extremely cold, but I still bike nights. In both cases, my glasses steam up something awful. I can't seem to keep them clear. In the summer, combined with sweat, it's a wonder I can see to ride. I do wear a helmet, and I have resorted to stuffing a hand towel under it for sweat, but eventually, it gets full and I'm back to condensation/sweat/mess. Any experienced ideas for keeping condensation to a minimum on regular ol' glasses or keeping sweat out of my eyes?

I'm such a noob. I apologize. I'm sure everyone knows how to deal with this but me! LOL Thankee in advance!!! :)

Replies

• pryme57
    pryme57 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    There are some anti-fog sprays that you can buy, but your mileage may vary.
  • Blesmols
    Options
    Thankee for the response! I run into trees otherwise. I'm buying glasses with Crizal lenses. LOL I'll look into it de-fogger, too. :)
  • emaren
    emaren Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Old trick - smear dish washing liquid on your gasses and then polish it off - it reduces the condensation issue hugely....
  • karint74
    karint74 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend Catcrap Antifog Lens Cleaner & Paste (yes, that really is what it's called!) I bought mine for about $6.50 at my local bike shop. Here's a link to it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=catcrap&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=7745234745&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=20331623731438719078&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_1fxmdd5t24_e

When the humidity is super high, it won't prevent *all* fogging, but it cuts down on it considerably.
  • Blesmols
    Options
    Thankee for the suggestions! I love the name of that stuff! It sounds like the Chicken Poop Lip Balm. LOL I will look into and thank you again! :)
  • Persephone7676
    Persephone7676 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    There's a 'Sweat Gutter'. I think it's like a headband and it has a channel to run the sweat away from your face.
  • Blesmols
    Options
    That sounds awesome!!! Will Google it. Thankee! :smile:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you go into a motorcycle shop (or online) you will find a load of anti-fog products as it's a problem shared with biker's visors fogging.

Or as "emaren" says washing up liquid (or most detergents like shampoo) work too - polish off thoroughly to avoid haze. Polish with a soft cloth and not paper to avoid scratches though.
  • krue1971
    krue1971 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I too ride in humid (south Mississippi) conditions and for sweat I wear a Sweat GUTR, it redirects the sweat rolling down my forehead to the sides and keeps it out of my eyes.
  • tvcjosh
    tvcjosh Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Old trick - smear dish washing liquid on your gasses and then polish it off - it reduces the condensation issue hugely....

This works wonders for me.
  • Blesmols
    Options
    Thank you for all the suggestions!!! I am so irritated by it I'll likely try all of them. Especially the sweat GUTR. We've had a cool summer here so it hasn't been as bad as expected, but it sucks so much when sunscreen joins the sweat in one's eyes. :explode:

I appreciate all of you dropping in with great advice! :happy: