Possible MS

Options
Ghomerzgirl
Ghomerzgirl Posts: 67 Member
Hi my name is Jennifer. I saw a neurologist for the first time last monday, even though I have been dealing with nerve pain and neuropathy for well over 5 years now. I have a huge fear of drs. Anyway, for two hours he asked me questions, poked me, made me do all these tests with basically no info on why he was having me do them. Finally he told me he wanted me to have an MRI of my brain and spinal cord to rule out MS. And then I also have an EMG scheduled for the 5th of August. I had the MRI today and now just waiting to hear what the results are. I have looked up the symptoms of MS and I seem to fit most of them. Don't take this the wrong way but in a way I hope it is. I wouldn't have to fight with drs anymore for answers or them telling me that I am lying about my pain and symptoms. But more of me is hoping that it's not because I am really scared.

I was wondering what kind of symptoms do you guys have, I mean yeah i can read on webmd and other sites but I would like to know first hand from people what they go through and see if i go through the same things and how other people deal with them. Thanks a bunch!

Jenn

Replies

• chandy2809
    chandy2809 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Jennifer. I saw a neurologist for the first time last monday, even though I have been dealing with nerve pain and neuropathy for well over 5 years now. I have a huge fear of drs. Anyway, for two hours he asked me questions, poked me, made me do all these tests with basically no info on why he was having me do them. Finally he told me he wanted me to have an MRI of my brain and spinal cord to rule out MS. And then I also have an EMG scheduled for the 5th of August. I had the MRI today and now just waiting to hear what the results are. I have looked up the symptoms of MS and I seem to fit most of them. Don't take this the wrong way but in a way I hope it is. I wouldn't have to fight with drs anymore for answers or them telling me that I am lying about my pain and symptoms. But more of me is hoping that it's not because I am really scared.

I was wondering what kind of symptoms do you guys have, I mean yeah i can read on webmd and other sites but I would like to know first hand from people what they go through and see if i go through the same things and how other people deal with them. Thanks a bunch!

Jenn

I have just been through all of what you have been through!!! I was hoping for an answer of MS just so I knew what was wrong with me! it isn't and they are still baffled! just keep your chin up :-) fingers crossed for you! I know the feeling of your making it up! it sucks!!!
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    HI Jenn,

The thing about MS is the symptoms are very individual. There is no set "This is MS" rules because what you feel is dependent on where the lesions are in your central nervous system. And the lesions aren't always "active" so one day you might get numb feet or pain that can't be explained and then the next day you have spasms or memory loss, speech problems, gait issues......it depends on what lesions are active and where they are.

There are a lot of other diseases out there that could be MS - but turn out to be something else. I have a friend with Lupus who seems to mimic MS a lot - but her disease is totally different and the treatments are totally different. It's possible your Doctors are keeping quiet about what they think because they really don't know yet. The MRIs will rule out some things. You should get some answers soon. The one thing my neuro told me before the "official" dx came down was to limit the types of sites I went looking at. She sent me to the mssociety.ca (Canadian) or mssociety.com (American) sites. The information you get there is monitored by medical staff and should be accurate. A lot of other sites are not. There is a lot of disinformation being put into the internet and it sounds real - but there is no basis in medical fact.

So, after the lecture above - my symptom that lead to the dx was a sudden loss of vision (optic neuritis), double vision and vertigo. In turns out that my first actual symptoms were some 10-15 years earlier but were never linked to MS. They were loss of strength in my arms, hands and legs and back numbness. The trick is to find a doctor who will look at everything you are experiencing and look at the whole picture instead of just the symptom you go to them for. It sounds like you might have found that type of doctor so you're on the right track to figuring things out.

Just don't give up - if it isn't MS then it is something else. You are your best advocate - keep pushing for answers. Stay strong.

Bea
  • Ghomerzgirl
    Options
    Thanks for the information. That's why I came here for some info since I don't know anything about MS. The neuro I see is at the University of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha Ne. That is where my Endo is for my Diabetes and she is the one who referred me to this endo to help with pain management. Some of the stuff he was really digging into was my migraines I used to have as a teen, the on again off again numbness in my left hand ring and pinky finger down to my palm, the patchy goosebumps and pain when I have them, the feeling of electricity on my skin if anyone touches me and it comes and goes as well, and last year I was basically blind for 4 months but i wasn't seeing dark it was like looking at a computer screen with the brightness and contrast turned all the way up. It was to a point I had to quit school for graphic design because of it. I haven't really lost any strength in my arms but walking is another story. I used to walk 2+ miles a day but in the last few years I can barely walk a few blocks. It bothers me because I want to be able to do things with my kids and I can't, they get frustrated when they want to give me hugs and I either have to turn them away or bear the pain of it. But again thanks for the information and I will look into those sites.

Jenn
  • TeraJo
    TeraJo Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I know when I was in the process of getting diagnosed I was driving myself crazy of thinking that everything I was feeling was a symptom. It is best not to try and do this. I was really lucky and diagnosed very early in the progression of the disease with only 4 lesions on my brain. Diagnosed after an MRI because of migraines. I have only had one episode with MS symptoms and that was in 2009 where my skin was numb on my left side for 3 weeks, I thought it was a pinched nerve in my back. I have things here and there that sometimes I think are the disease... numb hand or foot, fatigue, etc. But I try to just keep plugging along. I find that if I focus on the symptom it tends to aggravate it and make it worse or make it last longer. So it make a note of it so I can let my neurologist know, but I don't focus on it.

I wish you the best of luck working with your neurologist. Keep your head up!

-Tera
  • Ghomerzgirl
    Options
    Thanks Tera, I'm trying not to think about it too much and I am making a note of all of my numbness and pain experiences so I don't forget anything at my next appointment on the 5th...It is difficult to not think of it though.

Jenn