What is better- the food you eat or the work outs you do?

Options
cherryrobot
cherryrobot Posts: 64 Member
I started Paleo 2 months ago and have lost 13 pounds total. I started Crossfit last Monday and today is my regular weigh in day.. I lost ZERO. Not even an ounce. I feel like I worked out harder last week than I ever have in my entire life and I lost nothing (and this is the first week I haven't lost anything since I started). I feel discouraged now. I wonder if people who start CF and Paleo or clean eating at the same time are only seeing the results of a better diet? Or is this just a plateau that coincidentally started the week I started crossfit?

What do you think? Is an awesome diet better than an awesome workout regiment? Could I save $130 a month by quitting the CF gym and just eating an amazing diet and still get the results I want?

Replies

• momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals. If you only want to see the scale move (no judgment, I've been there), then CF is not what you want. It will build muscle, and you will have to eat more to fuel your body. The scale never moves for me when I exercise - I did the 30DS and lost an entire clothing size, but only lost 2.6 lbs. it's just how my body works.

If you want to get stronger and leaner and feel downright awesome, then CF might be for you. If you decide to stick with it, TAKE MEASUREMENTS. They WILL change (unless you don't eat enough).
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals. If you only want to see the scale move (no judgment, I've been there), then CF is not what you want. It will build muscle, and you will have to eat more to fuel your body. The scale never moves for me when I exercise - I did the 30DS and lost an entire clothing size, but only lost 2.6 lbs. it's just how my body works.

If you want to get stronger and leaner and feel downright awesome, then CF might be for you. If you decide to stick with it, TAKE MEASUREMENTS. They WILL change (unless you don't eat enough).

I second what she said. Take pics, you'll be surprised how much your body comp will change, but ditch the scale.

Also... I feel like *weight* loss happens (mostly) in the kitchen. Strength & endurance are gained in the gym, which subsequently often leads to fat loss and better body composition.

See this for proof that the scale is not a good indicator of success: http://everydaypaleo.com/attention-scale-addicts-part-2/
  • cherryrobot
    Options

I second what she said. Take pics, you'll be surprised how much your body comp will change, but ditch the scale.

Also... I feel like *weight* loss happens (mostly) in the kitchen. Strength & endurance are gained in the gym, which subsequently often leads to fat loss and better body composition.

See this for proof that the scale is not a good indicator of success: http://everydaypaleo.com/attention-scale-addicts-part-2/

Thank you so much... I can't believe that!!! I need to re-train my brain I think :)
  • ssnowdon76
    ssnowdon76 Posts: 19
    Options

QFT.
  • georgie304
    georgie304 Posts: 143
    Options
    Don't focus on the scale. With CF you are gaining muscle! Muscle weighs more than fat.

Eat clean, workout, and enjoy the results.

The scale is like "the ring" in LOR.... The scale was forged in the depths of hell.:mad: Pay it not attention!
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options

Thank you so much... I can't believe that!!! I need to re-train my brain I think :)

I don't know why I didn't figure the scale thing out sooner... But I'm glad I did now :)
  • MissXFit13
    MissXFit13 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to take the "well it all depends on you" approach but say, definitively, it's about the FOOD YOU EAT.

Why do I say this?

Because I am totally guilty of justifying an extra paleo treat (or 4!) because "I worked out today, so it's fine to eat the extra calories". Or "my body needs the carbs". I've been doing Crossfit for 6 months and have seen incredible results (jacked arms, thighs, glutes), but still carry that pesky body fat around my middle. And I know that it's because of what I eat. (And I eat paleo, cheats including cheese, but rarely, and sometimes wine). I used to think that if I just work out extra hard, I can eat whatever I want. I mean, I was doing CF 4x a week, training for a half marathon, and throwing in EXTRA strength training, and still wasn't seeing fat loss.

Frustrated with my chubby belly, I started doing some research myself, here's what I found:
    http://www.crossfit816.com/is-exercise-keeping-you-fat
    http://robbwolf.com/2008/09/10/exercise-effective-for-fat-gain/

Too much working out or the wrong type of working out (chronic cardio) can increase fat in some people due to cortisol.

If your overall goal is improved body composition, however you want to measure it (scale, BF%, pictures, measurements), the food you eat is the key. It's the key to fueling killer workouts. It's the key to recovery and repairing muscles. It's the key to getting rid of your (my) muffin top.

I've always hated those sayings "You can't out-train a bad diet" or "A lean body is 20% what you do in the gym, 80% what you do in the kitchen" but I'm starting to believe that's true. I wish I could CF more so I can eat cookies, because I LOVE working out and I love eating!

But this is all my opinion, and I have no clue what I'm talking about!!
  • cherryrobot
    Options
    Don't focus on the scale. With CF you are gaining muscle! Muscle weighs more than fat.

Eat clean, workout, and enjoy the results.

The scale is like "the ring" in LOR.... The scale was forged in the depths of hell.:mad: Pay it not attention!

That is the best comment ever!
  • cherryrobot
    Options
    I'm not going to take the "well it all depends on you" approach but say, definitively, it's about the FOOD YOU EAT.

Why do I say this?

Because I am totally guilty of justifying an extra paleo treat (or 4!) because "I worked out today, so it's fine to eat the extra calories". Or "my body needs the carbs". I've been doing Crossfit for 6 months and have seen incredible results (jacked arms, thighs, glutes), but still carry that pesky body fat around my middle. And I know that it's because of what I eat. (And I eat paleo, cheats including cheese, but rarely, and sometimes wine). I used to think that if I just work out extra hard, I can eat whatever I want. I mean, I was doing CF 4x a week, training for a half marathon, and throwing in EXTRA strength training, and still wasn't seeing fat loss.

Frustrated with my chubby belly, I started doing some research myself, here's what I found:
    http://www.crossfit816.com/is-exercise-keeping-you-fat
    http://robbwolf.com/2008/09/10/exercise-effective-for-fat-gain/

Too much working out or the wrong type of working out (chronic cardio) can increase fat in some people due to cortisol.

If your overall goal is improved body composition, however you want to measure it (scale, BF%, pictures, measurements), the food you eat is the key. It's the key to fueling killer workouts. It's the key to recovery and repairing muscles. It's the key to getting rid of your (my) muffin top.

I've always hated those sayings "You can't out-train a bad diet" or "A lean body is 20% what you do in the gym, 80% what you do in the kitchen" but I'm starting to believe that's true. I wish I could CF more so I can eat cookies, because I LOVE working out and I love eating!

But this is all my opinion, and I have no clue what I'm talking about!!

I agree with everything you are saying as far as the food goes. For 2 months I have really only "cheated" by having red wine with dinner 2x a week and that is it... I have had all meals centered around protein and vegetables. The change for me last week was instead of running 3x a week I went to the crossfit classes. So last night after class I ran 2 miles. I didn't know what else to do.
  • cherryrobot
    Options
    The other thing I wonder/worry over is my starting weight. I think if you start off "skinny" and do CF you get more toned and if you start off fatter you get more muscular and define your muscles but keep a lot of fat because you aren't doing cardio. Does that even make sense?
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    I had the ame experience as you. I started Crossfit first, and dropped a couple pounds... but not many. I did see my body change and tone up, though. About five months later, I started Paleo and lost almost 20lbs. very quickly. So, from my experience, diet was more important to weight loss.

Now, I don't pay too much attention to the scale. Like previous posters said, I just eat Paleo, Crossfit, and try to live healthy.
  • MissXFit13
    MissXFit13 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    The other thing I wonder/worry over is my starting weight. I think if you start off "skinny" and do CF you get more toned and if you start off fatter you get more muscular and define your muscles but keep a lot of fat because you aren't doing cardio. Does that even make sense?

I understand what you're getting at. Cardio for fat loss is not where it's at. Lifting heavy is the best for fat loss. Walk a lot. And sprint every once in a while. I highly recommend listening to Paleo Lifestyle and Fitness podcast, Robb Wolf's Paleo Solution podcast, or Mark's Daily Apple for more information behind the paleo model for exercising.

I used to be a long distance runner (half marathons, marathons), and since I've stopped running COMPLETELY (it was a terrifying experiment, I'll admit!), I've seen improvement in body composition, specifically my waist slimming down. It's amazing.

Before paleo/CF, I was running 40-50 miles a week and starving myself, the classic "skinny fat" woman. So when I started CF, I gained weight. But my clothes fit and I love how I look. I just need to get my diet under control, as I find myself allowing too many treats on training days. I've seen people at my gym lose a ton of body fat, it's incredible. No cardio beyond the metcons.
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options

I'm a lady with plenty of extra, started CF as a tight size 14 (US) if that helps for reference. I've been eating very clean paleo and CF'ing 3x/week up until this week, which will be 5x. I'm down about a size - and the scale hasn't budged. So I can only assume it's primarily fat that I'm losing as I can SEE the muscles developing. I'm doing no extra exercise beyond CF.

Just my $0.02!
  • cherryrobot
    Options
    Thank you all! I saw a thing online that says "No amount of exercise can make up for a poor diet" ... I think I am just scared that I am busting my *kitten* for no reason. When I started Paleo eating of course I was miserable that I couldn't have pizza for dinner but when I dropped 13lbs I was like "What pizza??" SO i guess not seeing results after working out SO HARD... I was a little bit on the ledge on Monday when I didn't drop any weight this week. But... I am going to keep plugging along with Crossfit and hope to see some changes in the measurements :)
  • melmckay99
    melmckay99 Posts: 358
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. I lost a significant amount of weight (for my size, went from about 143lbs to 120lbs). Sometimes I would drop 1-2 lbs in a week and then go 2 weeks or even more without any loss or sometimes I would go up a poound one week but then drop 3 the next. Just keep at it!
    Also, weight loss, IMO, is done in the kitchen...you get fit in the gym...as so many others have stated :)
  • KellyL23
    KellyL23 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have been doing crossfit for 7 months, and I eat pretty clean, and although I havent lost any weight, I have gone down 2 clothing sizes and people are always asking how much I have lost. Plus, my body is changing in ways that cardio and running never could (butt is lifting, arms are getting sculped, abs are coming in). I know that if I continue to do crossfit and eat well most of the time, that I will no doubt reach any goal I set.