Nervous Newbie- First WOD

Options
letsdothis84
letsdothis84 Posts: 77 Member
HI All,
So I am going to my first proper WOD class tonight. I have just completed a 3 week fundamentals course at my local box which outlined techniques etc… and gave us a mini wod each time. I cant help but feel so nervous and anxious about it as im nowhere near as fit or strong as the other people who will be here. I am worried im going to be so much slower than everyone else too and not looking forward to it as i would other gym classes?

Any tips for a nervous new crossfitter?

Thanks! x

Replies

• JLervold86
    JLervold86 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I still get that anxious feeling sometimes when I know there are parts of a WOD that I need work on (which is pretty much everything)! Use progressive exercises where they are needed and just give it 100%. Remember that form is more important than time/weight/reps....Everyone was a newbie at one point and everyone is there to support you finishing the WOD. No need to be nervous :)
  • littlelawson83
    Options
    Good luck! Don't worry about anyone else, they'll be nothing but encouraging of you. Just give it your all and have fun :)
  • fakeittomakeit
    fakeittomakeit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've been at it for a little over a month and I still get anxious for pretty much every WOD. I came in pretty much dead last and had people cheering me on. Do your best, that's what matters most. Good luck and HAVE FUN!!
  • kevie1021
    kevie1021 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else has been saying. I still get a little anxious before each WOD and i've been doing it for several months now. Don't worry about what anyone else is doing. Just scale as needed and work hard. If your box is like most everyother box i've know of, people will be cheering you on and pushing you as you finish. You got this!! Good luck!
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    My first real class after a 3-week foundations class was ALSO today (are you in MI by any chance? Lol). I was super nervous, but I got through it. My coaches know I'm still fumbling a bit and helped me.

One of the coaches has been doing CF for 3 years and said he still gets nervous before a WOD. Good luck tonight!!
  • alysa521
    alysa521 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've been crossfitting almost 18 months, and even now as soon as the coach turns on the clock and I hear the beeps counting down from 10 secs I still get that anxious feeling. When I started one of the most experienced members (who competed at regionals) came up to me and reassured me that everyone was in the same boat when they started. It helped me level set that everyone starts where your at and there's no where to go but up. I also will say that I've never seen anyone being anything but encouraging to the people still finishing a WOD after they are already done. Everyone is suffering together, so just take a little more time :)
  • letsdothis84
    letsdothis84 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I survived! We done Tabata of the following:

8 Reps of each movement of 20 secs on 10 off

Squats
    Pullups
    Pressups
    Rowing
    Situps

Others said it was a good wod for newbies so I was pleased and scaled as I needed to. Im going back on Thursday for more so wish me luck! x
  • fakeittomakeit
    fakeittomakeit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Yay!!! Congrats! Good luck on Thursday, but you don't need it. No doubt you will kick butt again!! : )
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I survived! We done Tabata of the following:

8 Reps of each movement of 20 secs on 10 off

Squats
    Pullups
    Pressups
    Rowing
    Situps

Others said it was a good wod for newbies so I was pleased and scaled as I needed to. Im going back on Thursday for more so wish me luck! x

Good job, I might steal this one for next week. I'll be at the beach on vacation and that sounds like something I could do pretty easily. Just replacing the rowing with running. Just need a place to do pullups :)
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    As others have said, do not worry about others. Remember EVERYONE has come in last in a WOD... EVERYONE! No one walks in being fit like Froning LOL. Just remember it's between you and the clock, no one else. You scale as you need for your abilities, that's the beauty of CF... it scales to everyone's individual abilities.

As my Box owner always says, the hardest lift in the entire building is... pulling open the front door every day. Once you do that, everything else is cake. Just keep going. It does get less intimidating over time.
  • georgie304
    georgie304 Posts: 143
    Options
    Great job! Don't worry about anyone else. Remember...It will never stop being hard, if it does...you are not raising the bar..... SO.... Everyone is going through it!