How to track Insanity on MFP

Options
DawnMinerva
DawnMinerva Posts: 19 Member
Hey Everyone, today will be the first day of Insanity for me...I did my Fit Test yesterday and wow....I am really hoping for some amazing results with this 60 day program!! I went through the nutrition calculator and it has me eating a lot of calories which at first seemed crazy, but after some reading my body will apparently need this much...

I was hoping some fellow Insanity members could tell me how they track their workouts on MFP.....no idea what to mark each day as. Any help and/or encouragement over the next 60 days would greatly be appreciated!

Replies

• msfaithful
    msfaithful Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    For me...
    I wear a HRM (especially since Shaun tells you to check it during every workout) every workout and record the calories burned from the HRM in MFP. Create the exercise once then adjust the calories burned according to the HRM reading as I do them. Some days i have higher burn than others. I workout outside and sometimes it's extra HOTT (TX heat) so I need more water breaks :flowerforyou:
  • Run4Me2Day
    Run4Me2Day Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    For me...
    I wear a HRM (especially since Shaun tells you to check it during every workout) every workout and record the calories burned from the HRM in MFP. Create the exercise once then adjust the calories burned according to the HRM reading as I do them. Some days i have higher burn than others. I workout outside and sometimes it's extra HOTT (TX heat) so I need more water breaks :flowerforyou:

I agree.. That is how I track my Combat workouts also.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I also create a new workout and name it (for example)
    Insanity - Cardio Circuit
    And use my HRM to give me the calories burned.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I just enter it as circuit training and adjust the calories based on my HRM, and sometimes remember to enter the specific DVD I did in the exercise notes.

MFP's automatic estimates are lower than HRM, but not by as much as I'd have guessed. I'm hoping that's because I'm not very big, rather than not trying hard enough. I sweat like a mofo.
  • kmvfitness
    kmvfitness Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    As everyone else has said, a heart rate monitor definitely works best. Polar is a great brand. :) I also create and label each workout so I can select the correct one each day. Good luck!
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Worth noting if you can't afford a HRM right now is that you can get apps for Android or iPhone that will let you check your pulse using the camera. They're pretty accurate compared to my Polar F7. You can check your heartrate during circuits and during breaks, and use that to get a reasonable average over the entire workout to calculate calories.

But if you can get a decent HRM I can't recommend it enough. Just wearing the watch for mine serves as a constant reminder to work out (way more than the Fitbit Flex I wish I hadn't wasted $100 on).