new to gf..worried about losing too fast

Options
I just found out that i'm gluten intolerant (might have celiac-waiting for the biopsy results). I went gluten free cold turkey the day after my colonoscopy (i was told that cutting it out before hand could screw up my biopsy results). Last Thursday was my first day with no gluten whatsoever. I weighed myself monday morning and had lost 4.6 lbs in those few days. I've also been light headed off and on. I was wondering if anyone else experienced this when going GF or if maybe i've screwed something up somewhere?

Replies

• tawanda6329
    tawanda6329 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you cut out all carbs. I didn't have that problem because I still ate fruit, rice & potatoes when I first went Gluten free. I only lost 5 lbs. It wasn't until I started counting calories that I begin to lose more weight.
  • eldawson82
    Options
    ok, i will try increasing that and see if that helps. Thanks!!!!!
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I first went gluten free a few weeks ago. I'm pregnant, so I haven't lost anything yet, but I've only gained 20 lbs total so, I wouldn't be surprised if after I have the baby in a few weeks, I'll be under my starting weight. It seems as though it's your body clearing itself out at first because, tmi moment, I know I have been pooping like a mofo when I first started.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    technically...if you have celiacs...you are more likely to start gaining weight on a gluten free diet. Your gut will eventually start to heal and start actually absorbing the nutrients in your food. Statistically speaking most individuals with celiac disease are on the thin side since their bodies spend more time trying to fight off gluten than using the food for energy. Of course this is not true in every case.

I see that your original post was a few weeks ago- if you are still losing like crazy you may want to add fats to your diet. They are actually essential to a healthy lifestyle. I frequently add olive or coconut oil to foods to boost the healthy fat content, especially when its with a plant based meal.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I agree with the carbs comment. Occasionally I had days when I first started that I had next to none and I did not feel well. I upped my fruit intake and make sure I get a little bit of starchy carbs too.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    +1 for the carbs comment.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I felt like crap for the first month that I was gluten free, had headaches, loss of appetite, and sort of felt as if I were coming down with the flu. You might, or might not, go through some symptoms while your body readjusts to life without gluten.