what keeps you young?

Options
I am new to the 40's and just wondered what you amazing ladies consider your fountain of youth?

Replies

• TakingMyTime
    Options
    Love this question. I just recently decided to let my grey hair grow out and I'm having tons of health issues but I think what keeps me feeling young is that I have no desire to quit exploring and taking on new adventures. Whether your 20, 40 or 80 -- once you quit being productive, stop learning and no longer expand your horizons -- then you're already OLD. 8-)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    remaining as active as you can be keeps me young.
  • Chunkilious
    Options
    Be silly
    Don't care too much what other people think
    Do things that make you smile
    Belly laughs!!!
  • scoutfinchie
    scoutfinchie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Roller Skating!
  • QueenWino
    QueenWino Posts: 106
    Options
    Dancing in my kitchen to 'old' music, from the 80's.
  • MomChemist
    MomChemist Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Interesting question, indeed? As I am preparing to leave the 40s, I certainly can say that it is a decade of many changes (mostly with the kids going from needing Mom to on their own!). I certainly feel that taking good care of myself and doing the things that I love, regardless of age, keep me feeling young. A couple of my youthful things I haven't grown out of:
    PB and J Sandwiches
    Riding my bike, for fun, for exercise, for transportation, for fun
    Playing with my pet (I have a lovebird these days)
    Cooking great food while dancing around the kitchen to "old" music.

But really, the PB&J... that's the one that makes me feel most like a kid again. :-)
  • melwharris91
    melwharris91 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Putting your well being close to the top of your priorities list. In other words take care of you! Otherwise you are not your best to anyone else in your life. Make sure you eat well, have some kind of exercise routine that YOU ENJOY and get the rest and relaxation that you need. I know easier said than done.
  • AnaCoffee
    AnaCoffee Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My 15 yr old son keeps me young. We joke that I'm really 12. :tongue:

Folks mentioned embracing their grey hair. I did the opposite. In June, son pointed out that I had grey hair above my ears. I denied it. He insisted and started laughing. I "got him back" by figuring that if I had to dye my hair anyway and was taking him to his first pride festival (where I would be wearing my homesewn rainbow skirt,) I was going to go "full rainbow." He wouldn't look at me for 2 weeks. :laugh:

I love, love, love my rainbow hair! There's a pic of it on my profile. The blue, purple, and orange has faded. The aqua has turned green and is close to being gone. The red turned into a beautiful magenta. (I'm one who normally hates pink too.) Once all of this fades, including the initial color I used to bring my hair from gray & light brown to a golden blonde, I plan on doing half red & half orange. I say, you're never too old to have rainbow hair! It gets lots of compliments too. :happy:

Needless to say, I never take myself too seriously. I had a hard childhood & young adulthood. I'm living my middle-age hood full of laughter and fun. I refuse to "act my age." Like I said in the beginning, my amazing son helps with that. :heart:
  • Tabatha1967
    Tabatha1967 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    What keeps me young. I think I have a bit of Peter Pan syndrome. :)
    I am looking after me, enjoying life doing things for myself. New hair do
    getting my nails done, exercising, taking courses.
    It is easier now that my girls have grown up. :)
  • Kidostud
    Kidostud Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    In my mind it still feel as if I'm in my twenties!! I ride my horses and just try to embrace life and enjoy the small things in life like going for walks with hubby and the dogs. I guess staying healthy is the best way to stay young.
  • Stacyschim
    Stacyschim Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I did rainbow highlights this spring because I thought my kids and their classmates would love it (they did!) I play on the playground, play sports whenever I can, just remember what it's like to be a kid and do what they do! I'm usually one of the only parents rollerskating with my kids or sledding down the hill. This stuff never gets old!! I say you're as young as you decide to be :)
  • lifesigns64
    Options
    My 11 year old daughter, and my 20 year old son . . . being around people of all ages . . Loreal Revitalift on face and eyes . . dry brushing . . . and going outside to parks, and my kids sporting events . . just keep moving . . . daily . . and try to get enough rest, if I'm tired and able, I will take a nap
  • 1der_Nana
    Options
    Love this question. I just recently decided to let my grey hair grow out and I'm having tons of health issues but I think what keeps me feeling young is that I have no desire to quit exploring and taking on new adventures. Whether your 20, 40 or 80 -- once you quit being productive, stop learning and no longer expand your horizons -- then you're already OLD. 8-)

I completely agree with what TakingMyTime shared! :)

Nana

Xx
  • 1der_Nana
    Options
    I am new to the 40's and just wondered what you amazing ladies consider your fountain of youth?

Aside from changing my eating habits from pizza and soda to kale salad and lemon water, I do yoga, watch funny flicks, run in the rain, dance a bit more, travel, and lately ... obstacle events that lets me wear my amazin' tutu! :)

Xx
  • Geeznie713
    Options
    My 15 year old and my 2 year old....and being immature!
  • TammyGKRN
    Options
    I believe water is your best friend!! Makeup is not necessary and dove soap rocks!!
  • DarleneMarie203
    DarleneMarie203 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Dancing in my kitchen to 'old' music, from the 80's.

Love that one! :smile:
  • DarleneMarie203
    DarleneMarie203 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I a m 44 years young and have a an almost 2 year old grandson that my husband and I are helping our daughter raise. He keeps be running and they both keep me young in different way! :love:
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    Options

I'm on my 4th year of my 40's and what keeps me young is I am a child at heart. I work full time and I have 4 kids a wonderful husband who I am a complete goof with. I enjoy every moment, I never take anything too seriously and I live each day to the fullest. I don't care what people think of me and I certainly don't try to keep up with the Jones'... Age is just a number, keep your mind healthy and the rest will just fall into place!!!
  • cindirookbanman
    cindirookbanman Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I get told that I don't look my age.
    Now weight ages a person visually, so losing weight to be slim totally helps. For everything else I can only attribute (if there's any truth in their comments) to the following factors:
    - no smoking
    - no drugs
    - social drinking only
    - minimal tanning
    (all in all, some would say a boring life) However, I look younger than many of them do...just sayin'