Maternity jeans???

Options
ajzmann
ajzmann Posts: 147 Member
Hi ladies,

I'm contemplating ordering a pair of maternity jeans. I'm due in November, and wondering what would work best, the underbelly ones or the over the belly ones. I am inclined to order the underbelly ones (those are the kinds of work pants I bought and they work great), but as a first time mom, I don't know if these won't work when I get bigger.

Help!!!

Replies

• jgrodzicki
    jgrodzicki Posts: 83
    Options
    I think you won't have any problems later with them... I buy mostly the under the belly pants, and then I actually fold them down once anyway. That way there isn't any pressure on my belly, know what I mean? That's why I had no issues wearing them later on as well. :)
  • ajzmann
    Options
    Thank you! The thought of pulling that thing up over my belly makes me shudder, so I was hoping that under the belly would work.

FYI, Zulily is having a Paige Denim maternity sale. ;)
  • jgrodzicki
    jgrodzicki Posts: 83
    Options
    I actually have plenty of maternity clothes thanks to my sister and a few friends... but I do still frequent Zulily for their deals - so thanks!! ;)
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I can never get the underbelly ones to stay up without being too tight because jeans are heavy (and I have a butt, I swear!) so I do the overbelly or pair underbelly with a bella band.
  • MsWax
    MsWax Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I found the under belly pants to be pretty uncomfortable once I really popped (third tri), and also found that they sagged MUCH more (so were much less flattering) than the full panel pants.
  • Erinthebodo
    Erinthebodo Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    The under the belly ones don't work for me one I am bigger, the over the belly work like a charm!
  • queenmolly68
    Options
    over the belly, all the way. They are so darn comfortable and you don't have to worry about your pants falling down, and you can wear them the whole pregnancy. Ones that go under the belly tend to only fit for the the first half of the pregnancy or so.
  • AngelineTheBaker
    AngelineTheBaker Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    The under the belly won't stay up on me! I need the over the belly to keep from having to hitch my britches up all day.
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Have never got on well with maternity jeans, but in winter wear the overbump type because as previously said jeans are heavy and I tend to be pulling them up all the time if they sit under the bump. Mostly I try and avoid maternity jeans altogether and stick to cotton or linen trousers and leggings.
  • _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I can't tolerate the feel of over the belly pants. I've always worn under the belly styles with each pregnancy. That being said, I carry very small so I'm not sure how well they'd work out for someone who carries larger. Sorry if that's not helpful! :)
  • lmercil
    lmercil Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I bought the over the belly ones from Motherhood. They were around $35-40. I have all over the belly ones and find that they are way more comfortable than under the belly. Like someone else said once I popped the under the belly were really uncomfortable.
  • ajzmann
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for your input! I ended up buying the under belly ones, but I guess I will wait and see if these work. I do have the band if I need it.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Belly band has made underbelly kinds work for me so I imagine they will for you too =) Even at 30 weeks pregnant I still use my bella band for my few under-belly pants. ...and some non maternity stuff. Haha!
  • ajzmann
    Options
    Ah, that is SO good to know. I'm so glad I bought one of those, it's helping me continue to wear my work clothes, luckily. Fingers crossed it continues to do me well, even if I have said goodbye to the zipping and buttoning of pants.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Definitely over belly jeans for last trimester. It pushes right into me and is painful to wear underbelly pants once the baby's head is down low. Under the belly works for styles that are more lightweight, though. Fluffy skirts and things like that.

Also, my belly gets huge so I like as many layers covering it as possible - even the huge maternity shirts are barely cutting it by the end for me.
  • jaylas_mom21
    jaylas_mom21 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I think under belly is ok for first and maybe second trimester but over belly is much more comfortable to me especially in the 3rd trimester.
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I love the under belly one's but the only reason I dislike the over belly one's is because all my babies except for the one I'm expecting now have been summer babies so any extra layers made me feel like I would die but this time around when it comes to that point I will for sure be using the over belly one's

So since you're due in the cooler months of the year I would go ahead and get the over belly one's you will be glad especially when you get really big and need extra coverage for shirts that don't quite make it all the way
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I can't wear super low rise jeans or the under belly jeans.....for the same reasons. They give me a muffin top and will not stay up! I bought a pair of Jessica Simpson maternity jeans at Macy's and I love them! They also have them at Pea in the Pod.