Metformin/ GI Diet success???

Options
Hey ladies!! i'm going to try the low GI diet starting today! I have loved WW and i still do love the community they have, but the reduced-calorie intake is not working for me (haven't been losing weight), probably since im doing such intense workouts and i'm still eating a lot of simple carbs (non-PCOS friendly). I have heard Low GI diet is recommended for women with PCOS to help cycles return to normal, and hopefully hubby and I won't have to have so many artificial medical interventions for baby #2! Also just started 1000mg metformin about 2 weeks ago. Any success stories/encouragement on metformin, GI Diet, or both?? Thanks ladies and healthy baby dust to all!!

Replies

• artslady96
    artslady96 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hi, Patrice. My doctor recently prescribed Metformin 1000mg and then 2000mg, and although it isn't a magic weight loss pill, it certainly curbs carb/sweets cravings and regulates menstrual cycles. My last two cycles were 33 days and 29 days.

I've also heard that a Low GI diet is beneficial to PCOS sufferers and have modified my nutrition goals so that carbohydrate intake should not exceed 40% of my daily caloric intake. I only recommitted to weight loss on Monday and weigh myself weekly, so I can't attest to weight loss results. However, I must admit to feeling less bloated and tired.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

-Laura
  • PatriceML32812
    PatriceML32812 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    hey laura! thanks for responding!! how long before you saw results on the metformin? my doc isn't planning on increasing me above 1000mg : ( A big reason why I am doing all of this is to regulate my cycles so that my husband and i can conceive naturally- our first was conceived using a ton of medical intervention short of IVF.

Thanks again and good luck on your journey!
  • fairie_marie
    fairie_marie Posts: 106
    Options
    I don't do the low GI diet just the met and calorie counting. I just started getting regular cycles 4 cycles ago. The met didnot reg my cycles, it was the weight loss.. Your doc should not be aposed to upping your met if need be. I was on 1000 for a long time but it stopped working. I just had it upped to 1500 when I hit a HUGE stand still in my weight loss, Since the up in the met, the weight is just falling off.