Weights for P90X?

kellegg22
kellegg22 Posts: 53 Member
My boyfriend and I are interested in doing P90X, but I'm curious on how heavy the weights should be? I have a pair of 5lb dumbbells, which I do okay with, and I'm sure my boyfriend can lift heavier, lol. Just wondering what pound weights I should buy for this workout.

Thanks!

Replies

• StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    My boyfriend and I are interested in doing P90X, but I'm curious on how heavy the weights should be? I have a pair of 5lb dumbbells, which I do okay with, and I'm sure my boyfriend can lift heavier, lol. Just wondering what pound weights I should buy for this workout.

Thanks!

You would probably need a pretty large range - 5lbs, 8lbs, 10lbs, 20lbs, 30lbs, 40lbs, 50lbs and a pull up bar

You may question these heavy weights, but TRUST ME, you will use them!! My squats are on 50lbs no problems (I'm finding it hard to carry the heavier weights although I could squat more) and my bench press is solid at 40lbs
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    You'll be doing a bunch of different exercises, so, unless you can do all those exercises using the same weight, you'll need a variety of weights.
    Go with what you can do comfortably and also get the next weight up. You'll be getting stronger and able to handle it soon.
    Personally, I purchased a set of exercise bands. I like free weights better, but the bands were a whole lot cheaper and covered the full range of weights I needed.
    Good luck!
  • littlesprite11
    littlesprite11 Posts: 106 Member
    Hey!! My arms are pretty week so I started off with 5lb dumbbells. You can kind of tell when they are getting too light. You can easily get through the workout. You want to have some struggle. I was able to get to 10 lb. dumbbells when I was done..yay..lol...Now Im onto combat and Pump...Love it!!
  • marsbar07
    marsbar07 Posts: 4
    I have weights ranging from 3-20lbs (3/5/8/10/15/20). My husband used the larger ones but after 3 weeks of p90X I am already using the 15 and 20lbs on some of the leg and shoulder exercises. I rotate between bands and dumbells and have a tough workout using either of them. good pullup bar is a must, but with our living room there is no way to put one up so in the archway we put up a bicycle metal hook and I loop my band around that for pullup moves.
  • Sassybmom
    Sassybmom Posts: 146 Member
    My heaviest was 45 lbs. I purchased the adjustable Bowflex ones and am sooo glad I did because I could increase in smaller increments without having metal laying around my house.
  • nwet
    nwet Posts: 1
    Hi, I had a set of older style dumbbells where you take off one weight put on another, etc. Shoulders and arms made me crazy because they move so fast from exercise to exercise. I couldn't change out the weights fast enough. I ended up buying an adjustable weight set from Sports Authority (SA Gear). It ran about $200 for the pair, but it was a lot less expensive than the similar Bowflex and Golds Gym models. Each dumbell has up to 50 pounds (plenty!). Just slide the dial to the correct weight and go. Love it!