Your aerial progress

Options
Gymnesia
Gymnesia Posts: 3 Member
Hi, really happy to find this group!

I've been taking lessons in aerial hoop and trapeze on and off for almost two years now, it's a bit sporadic due to moving and struggling to find teaching styles that suit me near my new home.

I don't have a background in dance or gymnastics, but I 've been noticing some changes in my body. I find my self questioning whether certain bits are bigger/smaller or more/less defined etc.

I really enjoy classes and am hoping that aerial will lead to greater health but also weight loss and I'm struggling to figure out whether it is working!

I was wondering how people are finding aerial alters your physicality, weight, muscle and fitness and how you measure your progress.

I get confused just relying on weighing scales alone.

Replies

• husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Physically, my back and arms have become some of my best features. Amazing abs and great posture come with aerial. I've been doing silks for a couple years and started lyra a few months ago. I'm still not quite as defined/thin as I'd like to be but I'm pretty sure that's diet. I did take a body picture yesterday and compared it pictures a few years ago. Though again, I'm not quite the size I'd like to be, the difference in muscle definition is very obvious.

I don't have a background in dance or gymnastics, so I struggle to look as "pretty" as some of the girls in my class. I still love it though. I'd like to try trapeze at some point too, I just don't quite have the time.
  • Gymnesia
    Gymnesia Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply, maybe I'm not imagining things! Sadly my aerial teaching is on hiatus as the teacher emigrated and alternatives are thin on the ground.

Definitely give static trapeze a go when you get time, very different to hoop and slightly more intimidating (or so I found) but equally rewarding!
  • LaurenLPitt
    LaurenLPitt Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been doing Aerial Hoop for 11 weeks worth of classes, once a week, I've found it has definitely made a difference to the way my body looks and feels for the better. Though that is in conjunction with eating healthy, using MFP, working out at the gym 5-6 days a week alternating between cardio and strength training days as well as yoga classes twice a week, so it is difficult to say which thing is doing exactly what but I'm certain the Aerial is helping a tonne as previous to starting the aerial I was doing all the other stuff and doing ok progress though a lot slower but started to see more weight loss, visual muscle definition and dramatic changes in my strength after I had been doing Lyra a while i.e. I couldn't do one pull up before aerial, now I can do 3 in a row etc. Also look at any professional aerialist, they ALWAYS have rockin bodies! :D From what my teacher tells me, and what I've gathered I think the key is to make sure to stick to it and be consistent with going every week, and if you cant go to class then buy a hoop for home or practice on monkey bars and/or body weight exercises like push ups,a pull up bar etc at home.

Also the Trapeze centre where I do my classes is now also offering an additional stretching class and an aerial conditioning class, which I'm going to try to do, I'm sure that would speed up progress a lot!
  • jamesguidera
    jamesguidera Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Looks like a great group. I have not got into aerial work yet, but it is on the books. Concentrating on Adagio currently.