Menstruation

Options
cdngrl81
cdngrl81 Posts: 434 Member
I have recently been diagnosed with PCOS after coming off of birth control and ttc for 9 months unsuccessfully. My doctor would like to keep me off of any meds and told me to first try to lose weight before turning to medications. She asked me to lose 16 lbs and so far I have lost 12 of the 16 lbs. Right after losing 5 lbs I got my first period in over 3 months and I continued losing weight and got a consecutive period 42 days after the first. I have continued losing weight, but only a pound or two since my last period and it has been 46 days since my last one. My husband and I are still ttc and I have been told that evening primrose oil can help you conceive, but you are not supposed to start until the first day of your period and I am getting a little impatient. Does anyone know any ways to start my menstruation? Or does anyone think I should try a pregnancy test (I am a little sick of trying them as I always get a negative result)?

Replies

• miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    You can't bring on menstruation unless (a) you ovulate - then you will get it about two weeks later or (b) some meds can bring on menstruation without ovulation if you haven't gotten a period for awhile.
  • jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Papaya help me in getting my cycle
  • ladypinktulip
    ladypinktulip Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    prescription provera is the only thing I know of to induce a period.
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I use a natural progesterone cream. The way I use it now is I rub about 2 teaspoons on my inner thighs daily starting 2 weeks before I plan to have my period. (Make sure you wash your hands afterwards, you don't want to touch your husband with this stuff)

I take evening primrose oil as well, but I didn't wait until my period to start taking it, I just took it. Worked fine for me.

Edited to add: I wasn't trying to conceive nor have I been pregnant. You may have to use it differently depending on your goals.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I don't know why you have to wait until your period starts to take EPR. I never heard anything about that and never did when I took it...

However, if you have ovulated, you can use parsley tea (just steep some dried parsley in hot water). Though that is usually used it your period is late but you've already ovulated. Not just to randomly bring on your period.
  • cdngrl81
    Options
    I don't know why you have to wait until your period starts to take EPR. I never heard anything about that and never did when I took it...

Everything I have read about EPO, if you are trying to conceive you are supposed to take it from the first day of your cycle until ovulation and then you switch to flax seed oil. Since we have been trying for a year to conceive, we thought we would give it a shot. Plus I have heard that it helps lessen period symptoms.
  • KayteeBear
    Options

Everything I have read about EPO, if you are trying to conceive you are supposed to take it from the first day of your cycle until ovulation and then you switch to flax seed oil. Since we have been trying for a year to conceive, we thought we would give it a shot. Plus I have heard that it helps lessen period symptoms.

Whoops, just noticed I did EPR instead of EPO. haha Anyway, that's interesting! I've never heard that before. Why should you switch to flaxseed oil?
  • cdngrl81
    Options

Whoops, just noticed I did EPR instead of EPO. haha Anyway, that's interesting! I've never heard that before. Why should you switch to flaxseed oil?

I am not sure, but I know that EPO can cause uterine contractions so you wouldn't want to take that if you are trying to get pregnant. But I think they just think it would be easier to remember to take something for those 2 wks (kinda like the week of sugar pills that you get with birth control) and flaxseed oil is very good for you.
  • KayteeBear
    Options
    Hmm, that's possible.