Hello?

Options
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone is still around in this group.

My name is Michelle and I'm living in Saitama and just started on MFP. I'm hoping there are some other people around who can give me some hints to making healthier choices here in Japan. I'm not a big cooker so I tend to eat stuff from the combini or lots of carb based food (grilled cheese, sandwiches, pasta, naan, etc).

I work at public ES and JHSes so I get the standard school lunch of about 700-800 calories. Right now that still leaves me almost 1300 cals for lunch and dinner but I don't want to get in a rut.

Anyways, just hoping that there's still people who understand what it's like to be a plus size person in the land of the size 0s.

Note: I did post this same thing in another thread for people in Japan because I'm kinda lazy that way. Hopefully I get a reply in one of these groups.

Replies

• Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Hi! I was in Japan and lost 10kg in Japan. I'm replying so this shows up on my wall and those on my FL in Japan can see it. Xxx
  • _meesh_
    _meesh_ Posts: 73
    Options
    Thanks! It's good to know that others have done it too.

Sometimes finding the nutritional value or even the size of a portion or container is so difficult. What did you do when the packaging didn't say how much was in the container or a portion size/calorie count?
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    There was no mfp back then, but I had a little booklet of calories from a magazine and realised complex carbs counted for a lot of my calories, so simply reduced portion sizes of rice etc and stopped eating so much cake and bread.
  • Rockcress
    Rockcress Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I don't usually sign on to my computer and read the Message Board. I'm usually focused on keeping track of my food...and other things in life. Being summer, though, I have a little more time to check things out...

Living in Japan has been a challenge with food - I love that most of the servings are the right size - but there are SO MANY wonderful dishes. I also love learning to cook regionally.... and eating!

I lost quite a bit of weight last year, but gained it all back during the school year - so I'm a bit disappointed in myself. I REALLY need to make the commitment on exercise.
  • _meesh_
    _meesh_ Posts: 73
    Options
    Those school portions are a killer, aren't they? Since I started to watch my calorie intake, I try to half whatever rice and main dish they give me to make sure I'm not over eating.

I also love that packages usually have the calorie count for the whole thing, not just a serving. Especially when its a snack type food.
  • Courage
    Courage Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm in Osaka and pretty much sign in everyday.
    Love all my MFP friends in Japan who added all the Japanese food to the data base. Thank you.
    The Japanese food data base is pretty good. I mostly use the mobile app so I do not see the community board regularly.
    Best of luck during your time in Japan.
  • natika33
    natika33 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I've been not bothering with the forums for a long time now, but I'm still here. Welcome!

When I first came to Japan, I lost a little bit of weight due to the extra exercise from biking everywhere. That motivated me to start trying for real and I took up jogging. I also teach at JHS and ES, so I started halving (sometimes even skipping altogether) the carbohydrate portion of lunch and going back for more vegetables instead.

At the end of the day, I didn't magically lose weight just by coming to Japan (as some people report). I had to work on it the same as I would have had I been back home. However, Japan has a lot of healthy options even at restaurants and combinis, so it's certainly been beneficial.

You requested tips so here you go:

1) Replace some of your carbs with veggies whenever possible, or if that's not possible with protein.

2) If you go to an izakaya, order the yaki-moyashi (a little bit of pork with lots of bean sprouts), sashimi salads, yaki-tori etc. instead of the fried and breaded things like kara-age.

3) A lot of ramen restaurants have a half-size option. Order the half-size veggie ramen for extra veggies in place of noodles. (Veggie ramen still has pork, it's not vegetarian, BTW).

4) The combini has drinking snacks like salted nori, wakame with sesame seeds and lots of dried cuttlefish etc. Not only do they make good snacks in place of potato chips, but you can also sprinkle them on top of salads for extra crunch and flavour.

5) Soba is one of the few whole grain (sort of) options readily available in Japan. Choose it over udon if you're at a noodle restaurant. Order zaru-soba or oroshi-soba instead of the options that come with tempura.

6) At sushi-train restaurants, they often have a miso soup option with extra seaweed in it. I find that it replaces at least one plate of sushi for me and is very low in calories.

7) Even if you can't cook, "arrange" food at home sometimes. Always eat a salad before you eat anything else, so that you're not as hungry. If you are eating take-out food, only dole out some of it onto a plate to reheat and put the rest back the in the fridge. You can always go back and reheat it if you need to, but you might find you weren't really so hungry after all.

8) If you eat anything with high sugar, try to exercise immediately afterwards (It doesn't have to be strenuous, a walk will do). If you go on the forums, someone will tell you that's silly and unnecessary, but studies have shown that excess sugar in the blood will be converted into fat very quickly. I figure that exercising it off right then and there is like heading it off at the pass!

Good luck!
  • KAZ_1972
    Options
    Hi there, I am a native Japanese living in New Zealand for 10 years. Have recently lost 11.6kg (as of this morning) since 1st Aug so roughly 80 days. I do all sorts of things like below to lose my weight. But if I was in Japan, I would go to a supermarket and buy those low cal salad dressings, calorie mate, Yasai juice, etc... Japan have so many different choices for your diet/weight loss whereas in New Zealand, we don't. We can buy some imported Jap products but they are quite expensive.... Try some boiled vege's with a different type of dressing. They are so yummy!

- no direct carb food such as rice, noodles, bread, etc
    - lots of vege's/fruits
    - high protein but still low cal food such as chicken breast, fish, beans, etc
    - 30 mins exercise 5-6 times a week (cardio and strength work... the more muscle you have the more metabolism you increase)
    - no alcohol (I used to drink a beer every night....)
    - Long black or Americano only (no sugar/milk with coffee)
    - green tea to help your metabolism
    - check in the MFP everyday :-)
  • papaveraceae
    Options
    Hello!

I'm also a new foreigner living in Japan. Before I came here, I lost about 10 pounds off of diet and exercise -- I thought that I would have no problem adjusting in Japan, but to my surprise its been a challenge. I'm a JET (working at a high school) and have been placed in the middle of no where (like, rice fields everywhere). No gym, or other familiar facilities, and I have fallen into this comfort eating habit.

I don't have much to lose (I am a size 2-4, so I am quite thin), but I want to maintain my weight and be generally healthy. Before I moved here, I ate tons of fruits and vegetables (I was a vegetarian, but I stopped once I moved to Japan). Eating meat again has been a shock to my system. The prices of fruit (which was a huge staple of my diet prior to my arriving in Japan) has also been a big shock. :(

I joined my schools badminton club (so much fun!) and do yoga on my off days. Running for distance isn't an option, because I have bad knees. Hopefully I can find a good balance of exercise while here.

Thanks to everyone who provides food suggestions in this thread. I will definitely take those into account -- my eating ice cream for dinner needs to stop.