30 days post op--need 90 grams intake help me

Options
out you guys...How in the heck am I supposed to eat that much protein including my fluid intake?

My weight is not coming off...I think Im eating under calories...my body is in starvation mode...
My clothes do fit me bigger but the scale is not moving at all...

I think my protein intake isnt enough....

Cottage cheese and milk upset my tummy right now.

Ive been making shakes with water and ice cubes and protein powder.....

I would love some ideas?

Replies

• pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I use an unflavored protein powder in anything that has a broth or sauce or even to add to the protein shakes if the issue is not getting enough protein. Also, it is true that not getting enough calories can slow down or stop the weight loss. Happened to me and frankly, I haven't been able to get it back to a consistent weight loss since.

If your clothes are getting bigger and the scale isn't moving, it's because you are losing fat and gaining muscle. Look at it this way, a pound of muscle is smaller in size than a pound of fat. So because a pound is a pound, but the muscle is smaller in size, the scale may not move but the inches are going down.

Good luck and keep working on it. The further out I get from the surgery, the harder it seems to be. But still well worth the effort, you know? :wink:
  • JuzDuIt
    JuzDuIt Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Your ticker says you've lost 26#??!! In a month? Or was some of that pre-op? Even if half was pre-op, you're doing GREAT! You have the same range of weight to lose as I do - 80-100 pounds. It's just gonna come off slower for us. Your body is busy healing right now. Don't worry - it will happen! Slower is better anyway - you won't have teh hangy skin!

I fell into that "starvation mode" idea too, but was educated on here that basically that's bunk based on old, very faulty research. We had a surgery to severely restrict calories for a reason... go with it! You will soon be eating more again. Don't waste these early days when you just don't want to eat! I could easily pack away 1200+ calories without trying and I'm only 5 months out.

At 30 days post-op I think I was still relying on shakes for much of my protein. Another thing I really enjoyed was chopping up some chicken in my blender super-fine, and adding it to a cream of chicken sup made with skim milk. Tons of protein and tasted great to me!

Once you are on solids again try Quest Protein bars. 20+ of protein per bar, super high in fiber (18g) which we don't get enough of, and a minimum of natural ingredients. And they just plain taste great! A real treat!

Good luck to you and just relax, hydrate, get your protein in, walk or exercise a bit, and it will happen! Slow and steady wins the race!
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Milk is giving you a problem, have you tried soy or almond or other milks?

Have you heard of a blog called "The World According to Eggface" The lady that does that blog has some great ideas for things to cook or eat at various times in the journey. One thing that was posted there that helped me, and I think you are about there, is canned Roast Beef Hash. Can't eat much, but the protein level is very good for what you can eat.

Eggs. I think I could about eat an egg at that point.

As said, don't worry about what the scale says. Just listen to what your stomach and sleeve are telling you. I was up for the first week after surgery, but once it started coming off, it came off fast for a while. Every one of us is different, but what I do know is that if you stick with it, it will start moving that scale number.

Hang in there, and be sure to talk to your doctor about your concerns.
  • huligoo
    huligoo Posts: 25
    Options
    Hi,

Im a kaiser sleeve patient...
    When i started kaiser options nutrition classes--the classes ended in april I was at 276lbs...
    The day of surgery I was 260lbs and now I am teetering between 248 and 250lbs

This is the lowest weight I have been in over 10 years!
    I am so happy I got sleeved...my diabetes is way better and my overall well being is better too!
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    My first stall was about a month out, when I barely lost a single pound over a couple of weeks. Because of advice from these groups, I just persevered despite worrying. Then over a weekend, dropped 3.5#; and it was over.

I'm not sure if it is a coincidence or not, but water seems to really help lose weight. I've been getting 8+ glasses a day and suspect that's why I have more energy, lose weight regularly (and am less constipated).
  • stratusphr
    stratusphr Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I promise, you are not in starvation mode!! The doctor says that unless we are a prisoner of war, low calories or up and down diets are not going to mess up our metabolism. He said we had this surgery to eat less. Do it!

I got between 300 and 800 calories for the entire six months I was losing. Only during the last month did I ever get 700 - 800!!! I always thought that starvation thing was hogwash. I KNEW I could of lived off the fat of the land for six weeks!!! LoL

You're doing fine. Know this, you had approx. 85% of your tummy removed. You now have the digestive tract of a field mouse or a hummingbird!! Celebrate that, enjoy it!!!! You're life will never be the same, a year from now, you won't recognize yourself!!!

Protein is oh-so-important. I was suppose to get 60 or more, forever. My "go to" foods, once I could EAT real food was 1% cottage cheese, tuna fish, I'd make a can with Lite Mayo. I always kept a bag of shrimp in my freezer. (goes down easy and great protein!!) I hate it that cottage cheese and milk bother you. Maybe that will change. In the meantime, you must find things that are GOOD for you and high in protein. Pre-op I started making chicken, pork chops, round steak, any of those, in a can of 98% FF cream of mushroom soup. (cream of chicken if you'd prefer) You can do it in a crock pot, in the oven or on top of the stove. Add a can of water.....and cook!! If you cook it long enough, any of them are very tender and you have "gravy" to make it even softer. Good luck!
  • JuzDuIt
    JuzDuIt Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Im a kaiser sleeve patient...
    When i started kaiser options nutrition classes--the classes ended in april I was at 276lbs...
    The day of surgery I was 260lbs and now I am teetering between 248 and 250lbs

This is the lowest weight I have been in over 10 years!
    I am so happy I got sleeved...my diabetes is way better and my overall well being is better too!

That is an AWESOME loss! You are doing great! I bet by your three month checkup you might find you aren't even diabetic anymore! Up the water and continue to shoot for your protein goals... you've got this!
  • melbogg
    melbogg Posts: 135
    Options
    out you guys...How in the heck am I supposed to eat that much protein including my fluid intake?

My weight is not coming off...I think Im eating under calories...my body is in starvation mode...
    My clothes do fit me bigger but the scale is not moving at all...

I think my protein intake isnt enough....

Cottage cheese and milk upset my tummy right now.

Ive been making shakes with water and ice cubes and protein powder.....

I would love some ideas?

Kill 2 birds with Protein IN your fluids - Nectar Syntax - good stuff!
  • Couchley
    Couchley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree killing 2 birds with one stone is the way to go. I use Unjury protien powders with almond milk, yummy treat, 130 calories and keeps my carbs down. I like chocolate splendor, and mix vanilla with 1tsp of instant coffee for a latte flavor.
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I'm also about 30 days out and struggle with protein. My nut told me 60-90 grams per day and I usually hit 60 but no more. I still rely heavily on protein powders. I like some of the Syntrax Nectar fruit flavors, and I also add unflavored powder to water or decaf coffee. It really helps since I'm still only able to eat tiny bits of food at mealtime.
  • JaynaErickson
    JaynaErickson Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Well I only have to get 60g of protein a day. I use body fortress whey protein. 15 bucks at Walmart . They also have protein bars cheap too. Try pollo string cheese n an egg. Nonfat Greek yogurt is good like 12-14g protein. Keep up the good work
  • therejohn
    therejohn Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I need between 90-100 gr protein per my MD. No way I can get that with three 1/4 cup servings of food each day. I love Syntrax Nectar and Unjury unflavored protein powders. I double the syntrax with 8 oz water, which gets me 46 gr in one drink. That or on scoop Syntrax and 1 scoop unjury. If you call Syntrax, they will send you a sample kit of flavors at a very reasonable price. Unjury has a sample kit too.
  • jennielou75
    jennielou75 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I was told not to stress about potein. I used to get around 60g per day which did go up once I was allowed normal food. Now I am a year out and I have been told to eat a normal healthy plate and mix up my foods so no more protein first. I was also told to eat healthily but also 'normal' foods but just restrict how much and not to eat too often. I have lost nearly 11 stones now, just spent a week eating not good food on holiday but just made sure I compensated by walking loads. I see myself as a normal healthy person with a smaller stomach. I can live like this for the rest of my life because I am not obsessing about every mouthful.

Everyone seems to get different advice so just see what seems right for you. If you are feeling weak then up your protein and your complex carbs. (I was virtually carb free until I was told that was the reason for my dizziness when getting up) Don't feel guilty about anything you do just learn from it.