Success in reducing side effects?

Options
amoreslove
amoreslove Posts: 15 Member
My doctor just prescribed Adipex. I'm considering getting the generic, so I hope it works as well. I am totally nervous about the side effects! From what I can tell, it makes you feel really jittery, you can't sleep, and you get constipated. Is the jittery/no sleep thing only for the first few days? I'm wondering if I should only take half a pill in the morning to reduce the side effects. But then will I be very hungry at night?

My thoughts are take zzzquil at night to combat the insomnia and eat yogurt with probiotics in the morning to help ease the constipation. Anyone have success with that?

I'm also wondering if it's ok to skip a day every once in a while. Next week I have an important meeting and I don't want people to think I'm on crack. If I don't take it that day, will I feel normal?

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• jaxmommy1019
    jaxmommy1019 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have been taking it now for almost 2 weeks. (official 2 wks point is Tuesday) and I have had no problems. no constipation or anything. ive had no problem sleeping either. I got the generic bc it wa sa hell of a lot cheaper than the brand name and it WORKS. ive lost 16 pounds in 2 weeks. I also work out n eat under 1200 cals per day but still!! it effects everyone differently so just start slow, but I was a little nervous about side effects and I got none. good luck!!
  • jaxmommy1019
    Options
    also, im a big nighttime eater and I was afraid the pill would lose effect and id be eating all night and that's not the case. I think the only main issues I have are drymouth and forgetting to eat. im not ever hungry, so I have to remind myself to eat to keep my metabolism up!!
  • amoreslove
    Options
    That's great! Congrats on your success. I took my first one 90 minutes ago. I only took half, so I could ease into it. I feel fine so far. Haven't tried to eat anything yet, so we'll see how appetizing food is!
  • jaxmommy1019
    Options
    well go luck!! let me know how it goes :)
  • amoreslove
    Options
    Going on day 3! I'm still only taking half a pill, because I do feel a little weird. At work yesterday, I had some trouble concentrating. I was SO thirsty, and then got really hungry. Perhaps I was dehydrated. That said, once it was lunch time, I didn't overeat. I think my hope for success this go around, aided by the effects of the pills, is making me really motivated. I turned down cookies, caramel, and chocolate yesterday! And went for a walk/jog in the morning. I walk my dog every morning, but the jogging part was new.

I might try a full dose tomorrow. I worry about being really jittery, unfocused and not be able to sleep. Oh, I took a half dose of zzquil to help me sleep last night, since I haven't been sleeping well, and I don't think the phentermine is helping. It didn't seem to have any adverse effects.

I have "lost" 3 lbs so far, but I'm not really counting that since I gained the last 5 lbs so quickly. I'll start feeling like I'm losing after 5 lbs. Also, I bet a lot of that is water weight. I feel like I'm peeing a lot more, but maybe that's because I'm so thirsty. Speaking of, I need to go drink water.
  • jaxmommy1019
    Options
    tWhen you have that feeling of like, reallllllly hungry even when you take the pill, that means you need water. Your body is telling you that you are thirsty but masking it with hunger. So literally carry a bottle around with you everywhere. I have that too. And yea that probably wont go away. The jitters have completely gone away for me, some people are effected differently though. Im almost at a month now and Im a little disappointed now, but I also think attitude is everything. So keep it positive and good luck!!! :)
  • amoreslove
    Options
    Yeah, I am drinking a lot of water, but probably need even more. Still just on half a pill. Considering trying a full dose tomorrow. I can see why some people stop taking it because of how it makes them feel. So far, I feel a little off every day. Not so jittery anymore, but sometimes a little nauseous. I'm down 4 lbs now, so getting closer to where I was before I gained the last 5 lbs earlier this summer. That's why my ticker doesn't show I've lost anything, because I'm above my starting weight. :(

I have read that people will skip a day or two if it stops working as well and it reboots them. Maybe you should try that. My doctor only prescribed one month. I'll go in for a follow up in August. I suppose we'll decide then if I need to stay on it. My hope is that once I finish this first month, I'll be at a place where I feel better about myself and motivated to continue without assistance. I've just had such a hard time losing for the past couple of year (and a really easy time gaining!), that I'm worried I'll just gain it all back. I can't eat less than 1,200 calories forever!
  • faunae17
    faunae17 Posts: 17
    Options
    Hi there! I am actually going to a weight loss clinic with real doctors. They made me take my blood pressure every day for the first month. I actually bought a BP unit from the drug store. I got really thirsty and dried out. I had to take citrucel to be normal, too.
    I started on 1/2 pill a day and it took a month before I increased to 1 pill a day. And that is where I have stayed the past 5 months. Your body does get used to the pill and it seems to not decrease the appetite after a while. But I have learned so much from this place. The nurses are very educated in teaching you about exercise, calories, and BMRs, BMI's, and proportions of food.
  • amoreslove
    Options
    How long did it take for your body to get used to it? I took 1/2 a pill everyday for a week and lost 5 lbs. but I really don't like how it makes me feel. I can't really focus and feel a little nauseous and very thirsty/hungry. I didn't take it on Saturday because I knew I would need to focus for a class I was taking. Took it on Sunday and again, felt gross, then skipped Monday for an important meeting and skipped today just so that I could feel like myself. Seems like when I skip a day, the next day my body reacts as if I've never taken it before and I'm starting all over. I'm not sure it's worth it for me to continue, but I have such a hard time losing weight on my own.

So you've been taking it for 5 months? And it's still helping you to lose more than if you just followed the plan the clinic is teaching you? I wonder how this thing works!
  • mimijarmon
    Options
    Hey!

I have been using phentermine/apidex for 2 weeks and 2 days, and I also started out taking just 1/2 a pill every morning. When I tried this medicine a few months ago, I took the full dose but had awful side effects so stopped after 4 or 5 days. Part of the reason I had a bad experience that time was because I was still drinking alcohol, which I didn't realize was not recommended, so I got dizzy and almost passed out after 3 drinks, then got the worst heartburn of my entire life. I also had trouble sleeping and felt jittery. When I decided to start taking it again just a few weeks ago (and not drink alcohol!), I thought 1/2 a pill would help start me out and then I could increase after a couple weeks, hoping that would minimize side effects. The first week taking 1/2 a pill, I felt the same way you did. I still had a little bit of heartburn, but I slept OK and wasn't too jittery during the day. Also, I still got hungry between meals. The second week was a lot better. A couple days ago, I increased to a whole pill in the morning, and I do feel a bit of a difference as far as feeling more jittery and I didn't sleep as well last night, but I think that will tone down as well once my body gets used to it like it did with the 1/2 dose. I'm just planning on taking it for another month.
    One major problem I've had is constipation (but I have IBS and a screwed up stomach anyway), so my doctor recommended Colace once a day, which hasn't really helped all that much.

If you continue taking it, definitely keep it at a 1/2 for a few weeks (or perhaps even a 1/3) until you start to feel less of the side effects. You may not lose weight as quickly, but it's better than taking the full dose when your body can't handle it and then stop altogether. If after a few weeks you feel like the side effects have lessened, then try increasing the dose.
  • alishyapremock
    alishyapremock Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have been taking it for two, almost three months now and I only have been taking 1/2 a pill in the mornings this last month. My dr said to take1/2 in the morning and 1/2 in the afternoon helps to reduce the side effects by spreading it out. I have not been really loosing as much as I did the first mont so i think I need to start taking the full pill again to get back into loosing the weight.

My side effects:
    I always have dry mouth and feel like I have bad morning breath all day.
    Occasionally feel really spacey and confused.
    Occasionally dizzy.
    Issues with not being able to use the bathroom #2 but I always have to pee!
    Always jittery or moving.
    Not sleeping as soundly/deep.

What I do to help my side effects:
    Always chew gum.
    Drink crazy amounts of water.
    Take a B12 vitamin and Multi vitamin. Dr said it will help the focusing issues. (?)
    When I don't sleep well i will take an Advil pm but not often since it makes me feel hung over.
  • amoreslove
    Options
    This has been such a crazy experience. For two years I tried to lose weight unsuccessfully and just kept gaining. Then I started taking this and have already lost 10 lbs in just 3 weeks, and that's with skipping at least 5 days of taking phentermine (I sound like an infomercial!). I think my scale is freaking out because it was so used to me gaining, not losing. It gives me a different weight every time I step on it. I'm trying to figure out where the weight loss is coming from. I can tell I've lost some weight, but not 10 lbs worth. I feel like part of it must just be water weight. That said, I did gain the last 5 lbs of those ten really quickly so maybe I never had time to notice where I had gained. I'll be excited when I can start fitting in the pants I haven't been able to wear for two years.

I think my body is finally getting used to it, because I don't feel nearly as jittery and gross as I did at first. Still have some slight side effects though. Trying to drink as much water as possible and I do take zzzquil a few times a week to help me sleep. I'm still just taking 1/2 a pill a day. Keeping my calories around 1200. I need to start lifting weights too and I really should take a multivitamin as alishyafrank's doctor suggested. Could help!
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    On it for 6 days now. It has helped me gain control and get the motivation to start my journey again. However, I am so pissy all the time. I feel good for about an hour or two after I take it and then I get very irritable and just feel sick/tired. I am taking 1/2 at 10am and 1/2 around 3pm. What I hate worse than being fat is being angry all the time. I am trying to make sure I eat throughout the day now so that doesn't contribute to my nastiness. I hope the coming down feeling goes away.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I've taken Phentermine (Adipex) three or four times. I started this time on February fourth.

The first time I ever took it, I couldn't sleep for about three days. I felt really "wired". The dry mouth lasted a bit longer.I think I got used to it, because I don't get side effects anymore. I took it in the morning, at least an hour after a meal, and at least an hour before eating again. It is the most effective for me that way.

My big problem is snacking after dinner, and eating too big of a dinner. I am fine during the day. I experimented with taking my Phen at 4 pm. That really helped me not snack. One day I forgot to take it until after Zumba class, at 7:30pm. It didn't keep me awake! So now that's when I take it.

I also go to a diet doctor. I go in once a month. She gave me an EKG, takes blood pressure and listens to my heart every visit. I had to get complete blood work done and bring it in to her. It feels good to be monitored like this. The other times I have taken Phentermine, my regular doctor gave it to me. He didn't really monitor me. My diet doctor said she doesn't have any other patients that take Phen that late. She said as long as it doesn't keep me awake, it is fine.

But like I said, I guess I am used to taking Phen after taking it so many times. So I don't get side effects anymore.
  • IamKitreenaGayle
    Options
    Hey everyone!! I have been on adipex since march. I take the generic. (it is the exact same as the name brand. my dr actually suggested the generic) The only side effect I have ever experienced it a head ache on the first day I started taking it. The 2nd day it was gone and I was feeling great. I stopped taking it and am now starting back. Same thing, headache one day one. Day two was fine from there.

Some of the better things Ive noticed while on the meds. I dont feel lazy and I sleep sooooo much better at night. And, I dont get heartburn like I used to. But im sure that has to do with the diet more than anything. If you have any questions feel free to friend me or send me a msg! :)