The first lesson MyFitnesspal taught me!

Options
When I discovered the graphical information MyFitnesspal logged, it all sort of clicked. I always thought I must have been eating too many carbs. After all, I my triglycerides always tested high when I had my physical. But when I started logging my food, I was shocked to find out that my carbs were the lowest group!!!! Fats were the highest with protein and carbs just about tied.

It has been a real eye opening experience. I am shocked at how the foods I used to eat broke down into those three groups. It has really made me re-evaluate what I am putting in my mouth. I know ask myself if what I "want" to eat is worth the trade off to my final nutritional values for the day. Sometimes it is a yes and other times it is a "hell no". But atleast I am making an informed decision and the decision is mine.

I am happy to report that carbs come first, followed by protein and fats are dead last place. I still struggle as my inclination is to seek high fatty foods, but I am guessing that tendency will change over time.

A grateful MFP app user!!!

John

Replies

• Fancyface1972
    Fancyface1972 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've always heard how some people count calories excessively and then there are others who believe you shouldn't really focus on calories when trying to control weight. Well, I don't know how much of that is true, but I have learned how to keep track of mine. When I joined MFP, I was shooting over my daily recommended calories. I didn't know how that was so when I eat healthier now than I did 6 months ago. Some MFP supporters suggested resetting my calories, which I did. I pushed it up to 1500 to see if that would help. I decreased my portions more and increased my intake of fruits and vegetables.

Now most days I'm under my calorie count even before I record my exercises. But when I begin to pay more attention to the totals, I noticed that my biggest problem was with my sugar intake. Almost everyday I go over in my sugar. This raised a question mark over my head because I try to avoid sugar as much as possible. I really don't drink sodas or fruit juices because I know they contain lots of sugar and I don't eat candy. So, where was all of this sugar coming from? I checked the sugar column to find out what foods contained so much sugar that I wasn't aware of and was shocked by what I saw. Who knew that fresh fruits contained so much sugar? I didn't realize that a fresh mango contained 46 grams of sugar and even a red delicious apple or a handful of white grapes contained 16 grams, and blueberries contained 14 grams. There were also other things that I wasn't aware of such as plain nonfat yogurt (13g) and about 10 mini caramel rice cakes (30g). I don't want to cut out these foods, but I will watch how much of them I eat in a day.

I'm so glad I have great MFP supporters and a reliable system to help keep track of what I consume.
  • Jarice12
    Jarice12 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes, the fatty foods for me, too. That is what I struggle with most, and with the fatty foods, in my case, high sodium intake, goes hand in hand. I'm not a sweets person, but I do go over in my sugars almost every day. I eat fruits, yogurt and granola bars. I,ve read not to worry so much about the sugars from fresh fruits, but beware of all the things with added sugars. Don't know if that's true, but I'm not ready to give up on fruits 'cause they add to my calories and keep me full until next meal. It amazes me what I was putting in my body before I started this journey. It had to be 2000-3000 cals a day and enough sodium to kill some living thing. MFP really puts a mirror in front of your face.
  • sirtxt
    sirtxt Posts: 39
    Options
    I was averaging 3500 a day - most of it was coming from fats!!!! I am surprised frosting did not come out of my arm when they took blood - LOL
    But, MFP really has taught me the food values are. I look something up before I put it in my mouth - I still am shocked when I look up new stuff!!
  • Fancyface1972
    Fancyface1972 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes, the fatty foods for me, too. That is what I struggle with most, and with the fatty foods, in my case, high sodium intake, goes hand in hand. I'm not a sweets person, but I do go over in my sugars almost every day. I eat fruits, yogurt and granola bars. I,ve read not to worry so much about the sugars from fresh fruits, but beware of all the things with added sugars. Don't know if that's true, but I'm not ready to give up on fruits 'cause they add to my calories and keep me full until next meal. It amazes me what I was putting in my body before I started this journey. It had to be 2000-3000 cals a day and enough sodium to kill some living thing. MFP really puts a mirror in front of your face.

I'm with you. I'm not going to give up my fruits when I've recently learn to appreciate them. It worried me when I saw that the sugar was above the daily requirement, but when I realized it was fruit and yogurt, I figured that particular sugar can't be too bad. Besides, those foods are healthy for me.