Post Gastric Sleeve

Options
Well it has been a week today since my surgery. I have no pain, am eating all liquids, loosing about 500 - 1000 grams a day.
Feel great but still get a little tired by the end on the day. Have been using the treadmill for a few days now. CANNOT tolerate dairy even lactose free yogurt but everything else is good. Find some soups taste saltier now than they used to ????
Only complaint I have is I have to drink water all day to get enough, this will improve though just my little whinge.
Highly recommend this op.

Replies

• HRHCaragh
    HRHCaragh Posts: 39
    Options
    So happy for you!!!! The water part is my biggest fear. I am a huge water drinker.. i gulp i t down in spurts. I don't know how the heck i'm going to be able to just sip it.. a tiny bit, all day. How often do you use the treadmill? Can yo start immediately after surgery? How long till we can , say, walk around the neighborhood? What shakes are you drinking that don't have dairy? Too bad about the yogurt :(

Hugs and so happy for you!!!!!!
  • kevm1967
    kevm1967 Posts: 17
    Options
    I was out of bed and had a shower 18 hrs after surgery and have been up walking since then. I just took my time at first but by day 4 was using the treadmill to much energy and no work. After a few days I could walk a fair distance, though not a great pace. Day 7 walked for three hours at a slow/moderate pace.
    My work is very physical and I was worried about the water thing, also getting enough food during the day.
    However a friend in the same industry copes so I figure its doable.
    He chews nuts all day and said the water issue gets easier after a month or so.
    Shakes are Optislim but they contain dairy, just doesn't seem to effect me. Tried full cream milk last night and had no problems.
    Tried skim milk this morning and OPPPPS!:sick:
    Maybe its the sugars in lowfat milk and yogurt.
    All a big learning curve but know regrets.:smile:
  • HRHCaragh
    Options
    It could be the sugars. I just looked at the shakes I have and most of them have some sort of milk protein in them. I guess I should go and get some dairy free JUST in case before surgery :) Wow! 3 hours on a treadmill! Straight? Or all together? You are doing amazing and are such an inspiration! :)
  • kevm1967
    Options
    3hrs just at a slow walk speed, as if you where walking around the neighbourhood but taking in the scenery. Have a few water breaks but is fairly consistent. Makes me very tied at the end of it though.
  • gwen6971
    gwen6971 Posts: 49
    Options
    Wow, 3 hours on the treadmill so soon after surgery is amazing. You're doing such a fantastic job. You should be very proud of yourself.
  • kevm1967
    Options
    Just changed over to the puree diet. Couldn't handle soup any more. Had mussels in herb sauce pureed YES some real food.
    All going great can handle more water now and getting better with dairy products.
    Got to eat real slowly and two spoons and I'm full
    So far had
    Oatmeal
    mussels
    Tuna and mashed potato
    All good
  • HRHCaragh
    Options
    My doctor doesn't allow the pureed until 4 weeks after! I'm already not keeping the shakes down well and surgery isnt until Thursday! I do well with the protien liquid shots i can mix with water.. ugh.
    I'm so happy to hear you are doing so well!!!! Keep it up!!! Hugs!
  • kevm1967
    Options
    Good luck with the shakes, I actually found them more appealing after surgery as I don't have a sweet tooth. Can't live on jelly and Iced lollies. Dairy seemed to have a huge effect on me but that is settling down now. I was supposed to wait three weeks but rang the surgeon and he said ok few days early to the puree foods. Sooo much better. Living on mussels and fish.
    Is your surgery this Thursday? Good Luck
  • HRHCaragh
    Options
    Funny. In the hospital they gave me pureed meats but I'm not supposed to have them for 4 weeks. So far yogurt, cream soups, pureed cottage cheese, popsicles (sugar free) and a little milk to think things down. Trying my first after surgery shake right now as I'm typing this.

They had to keep me a few extra days. Irregular heartbeat, and I could not stop throwing up. Glad to be home but soooooo tired. Would do this surgery in a heart beat again.
    Hugs to all!
  • bggy3122
    bggy3122 Posts: 1
    Options
    I start my pureed foods on Tuesday. On my third week of liquids( 1 preopp and 2 postop). Looking forward to real food even though it will be pureed.
  • HRHCaragh
    Options
    Having a hard time keeping anything down. I had to go back in the hospital last week for IV fluids. They wanted me to go in last night but my daughter is graduating high school next Wednesday and last night she had a concert that I just didn't want to miss.
    Anything milk based makes me ill. This includes whey protein shakes. I can keep some broth down. I can keep some crystal light with a protein shot in it but had to swich from whey. I've tried heavier (egg beaters) and lighter (water).. it matters not. Any ideas or suggestions? I don't want to go back in the hospital and miss her graduation :(
  • kevm1967
    Options
    I too cannot tolerate anything remotely dairy . Have found that I can drink water with ice cubes, and my food needs to be cold. I've been eating tinned tuna and mussels that have be stored in the refrigerator. If I eat anything from room temp to hot my stomach spasms and is difficult to get down. If l continue I rend up vomiting. Same food cold I can handle, it works for tea, coffe and soups also. My work is very physical and was having some issues with dehydration, my surgeon told me to drink sports (electrolyte) drinks, have found one or two that I can drink ok again as long as they are cold ( not just cool it has to be cold fo me). Good luck hope al is well soon
  • nickdemarco
    nickdemarco Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    A word of warning while you're in the hospital: Sometimes the kitchen doesn't know what it's doing. They delivered cream of wheat to my wife on the 3rd day, when the protocol called for clear liquids. Take charge, ask questions, verify anything suspicious. In the end, you're in charge of your own food intake - a job you're fully competent to carry out, trust me!
  • HRHCaragh
    Options
    Yes when I went back in they brought me sugar jello and Sprite. I can't eat or drink either! And for some reason.. butter was on the tray.. not sure what I was supposed to spread that on. They just did not know the gastro diet. Their liquid diet included soda and things with sugar. You really have to be on top of it!
  • nickdemarco
    nickdemarco Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Does anyone attend a Bariatric Surgery support group? Here's a "shameless" plug for another group that I started on MFP: Bariatric Surgery Support Group Central. Search for it under Groups, and feel free to join the group. I've posted a bunch of things there, but nothing would please me more than to see that Group take off, like this one has. I'm trying to make that group a central resource for all things related to our support groups, so anything you have to add is welcome! See you over there...

Nick
  • Charmingirl
    Options
    3 days post op. I haven't had nausea but I haven't tried many things. How do I get in enough protein? I can't tell if I'm hungry from the pain. The pain is becoming more tolerable. What was your favorite sleeping position after surgery? I'm tired of sleeping on my back. Some advised to use lots of pillows but that's not helping me.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,706 Member
    Options
    Hi Charmingirl,

Protein shakes count as liquid, so you get your protein and liquid requirements at the same time.

I slept in a recliner but remember having to be on my back for the first day or so. Needed to be careful because getting up seriously used abdominal muscles. I tried to roll over and push slowly out of the chair.

Pain medication helps, even if you don't think you're in "pain" - it also helps keep food down (see post on "pre-op" discussion topic).

Hey, you're post-op now. Congratulations!
  • Charmingirl
    Options
    Thank You.