Healthy eating is NOT deprivation

Options
hairsprayhon
hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
I just returned from the farmer's market where I bought the last of the local strawberries and the first of the raspberries, cherries and blueberries, local hormone free filet mignon, organic ice cream, preservative free cinnamon swirl bread, organic eggs and onions still dirty from the ground where they were early this morning. With wonderful food like this, I won't be deprived, but I will be eating healthy. I have beef, french toast and ice cream only once a week (not on the same day) but the rest of this wonderful food will be for every day.
Especially people who are just starting their fitness journey will talk about their "diets" and how they feel deprived of "good food". Some people at my office are constantly on or off "diets" and the freezer at work is filled with Smart Choices and Weight Watchers lunches. If I ate that stuff I would feel deprived and also likely to fall off of my "diet".
Instead I learned the joys of real food. It took training my tastes buds, but for me healthy eating is about finding real food that make meal times enjoyable and not times for suffering.
I like reading this forum, because ladies who lunch recognize that food is something to be celebrated not dreaded. And I think liking the food I eat is the reason that I am not on a diet and I won't be accepting the return of any of these 90 pounds!
WHAT ARE YOU HAVING FOR LUNCH TODAY?
I am having French Toast with berries, and a whole tomato, instead of a salad, which I will have tonight,

Replies

• tatianna68
    tatianna68 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with you, if I had diet I would never have lost the weight. I changed my lifestyle and now I am healthier than I think I have ever been and do not deprive myself of anything I wish to eat.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the way you think! I am with you. I eat very healthy and I never feel deprived.
    I prefer to look at all I've gained: better health, smaller clothes, more self-respect, a more responsive body, etc.
    Health is what I'm after, and a normal weight is only a part of the overall picture.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hear Hear!!
  • sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post! I agree. My best food days are the ones with whole, real foods. I love my home-made pesto, avocado salsa, oatmeal muffins, lentils with rice, salads and pizzas -- no deprivation there!
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Great post. Today is the farmer's market in my neighborhood. We get all kinds of things from it. Lots of locally sourced vegetables and fruits, plus even some organically grown items. I don't feel deprived eating the way I do. I too have colleagues who stock the communal fridge at work with frozen meals from Lean Cuisine, Weight Watches, Hungry Man, etc. I don't know how they can work from lunch time to 5 pm on those meals. I've tried it in the past and I was hungry by about 3:30
    The way I eat now, I can make it through the whole day.
    Today I had raosted pine nut hummus with carrot sticks, banana, curry chicken and for dinner, I'm having beet/egg/salad green/chicken/mandarin orange salad.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Hello, just joined the group so here's my first post:

I LOVE fried eggs!

But poached eggs taste just the same! So we had a poached egg sandwich today, instead of a fried egg sandwich.

The way I look at it, my calories are like my budget - if I can afford it, I can have it. If I can't afford it, I have to earn it or save up for it. I've been amazed at how well I've done on this! moderation and self control have never been my strong points! And listening to everyone else is really really inspiring!
  • cpharmon
    cpharmon Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I agree!! Healthy eating is not starving... my husband and I have just made different choices, we are trying different, healthier foods, eating less, not eating as late, eating breakfast, choosing to eat more filling foods, eating a lot more veggies and fruit. I am in love with fresh pineapple, cold, fruit salads, marinades, and on the GRILL, yum! It's been great! Yes we've craved our fats, fried foods and tortilla chips, but we've even fit those it without feeling like we've totally blown it!! I'm excited to learn more and try new recipe's that fit our new life style!
  • AEB_WV
    AEB_WV Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    For lunch I had sauteed eggplant & sweet peppers (recipe from August Bon Appetit), turkey breast cutlet and fresh fruit salad.
    Last night my husband made a nice marinara sauce which I had over roasted eggplant and zucchini then broiled w/ a little fresh parmesan.
    I definitely do not feel deprived! There is too much nice fresh food available and so many recipies to try!
  • nemrut
    nemrut Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. We've been eating lots of fresh produce from the farmer's market, too, and try to stay away from anything processed. There's nothing like the taste of fresh fruits and vegetables, and we eat a lot of food. No deprivation here!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    well said.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    I agree! Well said! I keep trying to explain that it is moderation and choices. I am rarely hungry unless I make unwise choices!
    I have had seafood pasta for the last two days, last serving today for lunch. That is the portion that was served for dinner! Wow! That was big!
    Have a great choice day!
  • daisygeep
    Options
    I found this pinterest board yesterday and am in love! This food is beautiful and healthy! I made a few things and have a shopping list all made out! This is the kind of healthy eating I strive for. This all looks like it has so much flavor!

http://pinterest.com/pamo/healthy-eats/
  • OhLeita
    OhLeita Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My first post in this group. Hello!

Dieting became unnecessary after learning how to like vegetables. I was the fussiest of eaters, like a six-year-old. Now I can look at a fresh bunch of collard greens like it's a box of mac & cheese. So many years wasted trying to lose weight only to gain it back!