Anyone have Pit Bulls?

Options
Just curious to know. We have 3 of our own and more often than not have a stray/foster/dumped at our house. We've done a lot of APBT rescue in the past and people seem to know who to call when they find one.

We have Special Agent Husak (Husak) he is a 10 yr old NM Rednose, he also doubles as my service dog.
Next up is Miley Jane (MyMy) is a 5 yr old SF blue brindle, she, like me has some weight concerns of her own.
And finally there is Angus. Angus is 1 yr old, NM fawn with black points. We are beginning to think that he has a bit
of Mastiff tossed in for good measure. This baby doll definitely rides the short bus.

Love them all dearly and would have even more if I didn't have a husband.

Replies

• EinTX
    EinTX Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    The stray that was dropped in front of our house is part Pit. I wouldn't have chosen to have one because I really usually lean towards very passive dogs. (Pugs just lay around, more my style) but Levi adopted me and he has a home as long as I have anything to say about it. We think he is a lab/pit cross. The vet office listed him as lab plus but my Dr. covered his ears the last time we had him in and whispered, he doesn't know it but he is part pit. I knew, the moment I saw him, but the **** of his head and the desperate situation he was in required someone to step up and give him a hand. I have a soft head and big heart so he joined my pack. My only concern is that he is so very strong and the pugs can get over powered pretty easily. He's not mean, just doesn't run out of energy as fast as the little guys do and they just can't get away from him. We don't leave them alone together if for no other reason than the difference in size. Also I read that the pits are not any more aggressive than any other dog. They won't necessarily naturally start a fight but the difference comes in if they are challenged by another dog, they won't back down. That worries me because Peanut is suhc a little poop that he will growl and snipe when he gets tired and I live in fear that he could get snapped up in an instant if Levi ever gets tired of him. I'm hoping my not allowing them to play together unsupervised is sufficient to protect Peanut from himself. I don't think I could control my husband if anything happen to either of the pugs. They are very dear little creatures and have seniority in the house.
  • kathyguminski
    Options
    Wow! Congrats on the 74 lbs.!! Great job. I own a pet sitting company called Critter Sitters so lucky for me I get to see what owning lots of different breeds would be like. Angus is right around 100 lbs. and his very best friend was a Boston Terrorist. I swear they had no off button. It's wise to be mindful of their size difference, although in my case it was more me protecting Angus from the BT getting out of control. LOL

All Pits are different when it comes to confrontation. Some are very submissive and others, like you say, don't back down. Luckily for me all of my furkids know their place in the pack pretty well. Personally I've run into more ill-bred Lab's than any other breed. Especially lately. People tend to over-breed whatever is popular at the moment and the animals end up suffering.
  • EinTX
    EinTX Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    You are so correct on the over-breeding, I hate to see any one breed all of sudden become too popular. I like the idea of breeding to allow people to better match up the personality of a dog with their own. For example, if you don't have the time or space to make sure a border collie gets the exercise they need you are better off avoiding that breed, no matter how cute you think they look. Unfortunately, too many people look at the color of a dog and what a cute puppy they are and not at what they were bred for. I personally adore beagles but haven't had one for 30 years because they are just too good at digging under fences. Heavens they are bred to dig after rabbits so of course they are going to be good at that behavior so that just isn't a good bred for me. With my work schedule right now the pugs are the perfect ... don't need to much exercise, lazy little dogs that work well for my life style. I never would have intentionally gotten another puppy right now and I really am struggling on how to best train Levi. I don't have the $$ to pay for his training or the time to take him out consistently. Most days we leave the house at 6am and return after 7pm. Throw in caring for grandkids, preparing meals, etc. and training the dog falls way back. I took an extended Christmas Holiday so I could spend time with him thinking two weeks of consistent training would work well but the flu sidelined me and that didn't happen. I've also thought about bringing him into Dallas with me and work on some training immediately after work (I have some down time most evening between when I get off work and when my DH gets off work) but the cost of doggy daycares are a little more than I can afford to spend right now. He is so big and strong he really needs some really consistent obedience training to turn him into a really nice dog. He certainly is full of personality; I swear you can see a big smile when he sees you. They are all happy to see you when you first get home but Levi will be in the living room or out back unaware that you just entered the room or yard and the moment he sees you he lights up like a light bulb and runs to greet you, such a nice boy.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    We volunteer at our local SPCA shelter and almost all the dogs are pit bulls. Its sad that almost any other breed is adopted within 2 weeks and these babies stay there forever.
  • kathyguminski
    Options
    I find that sometimes using a GentleLeader is the best tool for a dog that likes to throw his weight around. It's really humane and safe for both the dog and the handler. I have used an EZ-walk harness on my 100 lb. puppy and the difference in him is like night and day. I try to keep it down to 10 minute sessions, 2 or 3 times a dqy tops. It helps that he is a food addict like his mommy and will do just about anything for a snack. I know how tough it is to make time to do it. I have a thousand other things I can think of that I need to be doing. I know what you mean my the huge smile. All pittys seem to have that great big goofy grin. They are so eager to please, I think that is what makes them so appealing to the thugs out there who don't need them.

I also volunteer at our shelter and most of our dogs are pitty's or pit mixes. The most popular age we get in is 8 to 10 months old. It seems they go through a second chewing stage right around that age and a lot of people can't or just won't deal with it and drop them off. So many people don't realize that a dog is forever and not an "until" dog. That is why my house runneth over in assorted pit bulls, lol.

*Once we got in an adorable little Beagle and the owner said, " I just can't stand it that every time we take her for a walk, all she wants to do is sniff the ground!" Um.....really? Okay then.
  • kelsielr
    Options
    I started with 1 and when she had a litter of puppies we kept 3 of her puppies. 2 of them got stolen but still have momma and 1 pup. My babies are gorgeous and I miss the ones that are not with me anymore. They are the most loyal and loving dogs I've ever had. I also have a small chihuahua and they have NEVER attacked her or hurt her in anyway. If anything they protect her and treat her as if she was their puppy!
  • CarrieBeard
    CarrieBeard Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I've had several over the years. NEVER had a minutes trouble from ANY of my boys. I have a Jack Russell Terrorist/mix... Now HE is a handfull.... 30lbs maybe... constantly tried to bully and pick fights with my former pit. We had "Remi" for over 12 years before we lost him in 2012. My big baby left a big hole in my heart.

Thanks to everyone that opens their hearts and homes to any needy pooch! God Bless Ya.
  • kathyguminski
    Options
    I have to agree, Pit Bulls are probably the best breed out there. Huge hearts, loyal, loving and so forgiving. Sorry about your loss CarrieBeard, I have a 10 year old with bad hips and 2 replaced knees. My mom has a Pit Bull, a Rat Terrorist, a Min Pin, and a Chihuahua. The Rat Terrorist is the one who starts all the trouble and scraps.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I have a pit mix named Ollie Johnson.

181070_215367188584729_2077161099_n.jpg
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I have a pit mix named Ollie Johnson.

181070_215367188584729_2077161099_n.jpg

What a cutie!!!

I have a staffordshire terrier mix and she's pretty even tempered, does well with my two little dogs (chi mix & boston terrier). The boston is the trouble maker. lol Although with Ashley she does NOT do well with other large breed female dogs. Otherwise, she's the best dog I've ever had, just a sweetheart, couch potato, love-bug!
  • Crystal817
    Options
    His best friend/brother is a Chihuahua named CJ. Those little dogs... they are the ones you have to watch out for!
  • darkvoodoo
    Options
    I dont own a pitbull, but I do alot of rescuing and fostering and pitbulls are always my main ones here :)
  • kathyguminski
    Options
    Boy that Ollie is a cutie patootie! Reminds me of Husak! We mainly rescue pits here at The Pit Stop rescue, but we're open to all dogs. We have a little Boston girl here right now waiting for a home, she's a doll. If I didn't know any better I'd swear she was a pit bull in a BT body, lol. She is so laid back.

It always cracks me up when I hear people say, "Oh I'd love to have a pit bull, but I have kids." And? All the more reason you need to consider adopting a pit bull. Who do you think the little rascals tagged around with all those years? Yes, Petey was a pit bull.
  • kathyguminski
    Options
    I dont own a pitbull, but I do alot of rescuing and fostering and pitbulls are always my main ones here :)
    [T/quote]

Thank you for fostering and thank you for rescuing but most of all thank you for fostering and rescuing Pit Bulls.:flowerforyou:
  • Crystal817
    Options
    417257_257213671021131_125164940892672_565938_1578108891_n.jpg
  • kathyguminski
    Options
    One of my favorites.
  • lilac_meddow
    Options
    I have a beautiful white guy named Alta, he's 60lbs of puppy playfulness!

Has anyone had any luck getting them to cut out the chewing..... my dinning room table chairs just fell victim to his boredom
  • VickiDiane22
    VickiDiane22 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have a little Pitbull named Luna who's my baby girl. She is 7 yrs old a Weight Pull Champion Love of my life goes with as much as she can We are taking obedience classes just for the fun of it. I've retired and it's something to do
  • kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    ok. i have 2 dogs, one named Kirby the other Ziggy. I am not sure that Kirby is pit. here in Cincinnati, OH the ban just got lifted in the city for owning pit bulls. Kirby could very well have some pit, but i prefer to think american bulldog (since there is still a stigma about pits). however, i have never met a "pit" that wasn't just the sweetest, goofiest that i've seen.
  • DallastheGemini
    DallastheGemini Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Me! Me! Me!! I have an 11 year old Pibble named Josie. I've had her since she was 4 (?) months old. She's my baby girl. She seems to think she's a lap dog. We're literally never apart. We even sleep together, which is rough since we share a twin sized bed! I'm 6' 176lbs and she's close to 80lbs. I'd love to have another Pibble but where I live if you've already got a Pit, the Humane Society will not allow you to adopt another Pit or another dog, period. Which is stupid, but I guess there's nothing I can really do about it.