carbs?

Options
ok so i know how much protein i need a day and approximately how many calories, but how many carbs should we be eating? how many is too little/too much? anyone out there know?

Replies

• shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    For the first year just worry about your protein and water intake. The new way of eating how to combine things etc. is a lot to grasp right now, you don't want o get overwhelmed.

Now at 3 years out I am still tweeking things here and there. I do a 40% protein, 35% carbs, 25% fat. ratio. I also eat 2000 cal a day. I do spin class 4x a week and weights 5-6 days a week for an hour at a time.

A lot different than my previous life. No exercise, very sedentary, walked the dog one a week, ate 3 full meals, probably 3000-4000 calories a day. Not good.
  • stratusphr
    stratusphr Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Good morning! All doctors are different, but mine doesn't focus on carbs, at all, unless he has a patient that isn't losing. I was three years out June 11th. I've been maintaining for two years 7 months. I need 1300 calories per day to maintain, if I'm above 1400 for more than a couple of days, the scale shows it. If I drop to 1200 for more than a couple of days, it moves the other way. Like the previous poster said, I still tweak it, it's all still a learning process. This is a journey that never ends. Pace yourself!! I watch my calories and protein. I weigh every morning, I've done that since I was discharged from the hospital. It's all like my "dashboard" - keeps me aware of what is going on 'under the hood'. :)
  • incredibleshrinkingjackie
    Options
    thanks for the replies!
  • mrdalton
    mrdalton Posts: 97
    Options
    My surgeon said 60-100 grams of protein a day, no more then 5-7 grams of sugar per meal and no more than 60 grams of carbs a day. Hope that helps!
  • sparker78
    sparker78 Posts: 9
    Options
    My nutritionalist says not to bother with how many carbs, protein, calories etc. But to have 3 small meals a day with no snacking so that's what I have been (trying) to do and have lost 80lb in 5 months.
  • SteveWebb7
    Options
    I am being told when I have my surgery I am to eat protein first, vegatables second and carbs third, fat forth. If you eat like you should you shouldn't have much room for any carbs unless they are in the vegetable.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    first off ask your doctor/ nutritionist because different people need different amounts. second I think they dont tell you the exact needs a first because its hard to get it in right after surgery and many people start freaking out and so they want you to focus on the protein more then the calories and as you get further out and can eat more of a solid/ normalized diet then you need to really start watching your calories. but the rule of thumb I was told and I experienced:
    generally 300-600 the first month (since you cant eat much)
    generally 800-1000 months 2-3
    1000+ months 3+ (depending on exercise and needs)
    between 1200-2000 when you hit goal (again depending on height and exercise)

as for fat and carbs I wasnt given exact number which annoyed me (lol) I was just told to use commonsense. but also your own sensitivities may set the tone for that - for example I am a little sensitive to fat so I tend to have lower fats then what is recommended most days, but since I LOVE carbs I must limit my intake (goal is set to 60, but I try not to go over 100), and my sugars (rarely a problem also, unless I eat sweets) so I set it on MFP recommendation.