I know this has probably been asked like 20 times..

Options
BoomstickChick
BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
But, oatmeal... Is it safe for gluten free or not? I can't deal with the gluten free hot cereal, it's gross to me. I miss having the occasional oatmeal.

Replies

• Huggenkiss27
    Options
    You just have to make sure they are labeled as gluten free oats. Oats are easily contaminated. I like Bob's Red Mill GF Oats.
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    You just have to make sure they are labeled as gluten free oats. Oats are easily contaminated. I like Bob's Red Mill GF Oats.

I get that things can be contaminated, but to me, if anything with gluten isn't listed on the box, it doesn't contain gluten. I try not to even really eat so much processed or boxed anything as it is, but I'm not one that can give up cereal or anything as a whole either.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I use GlutenFreeda oatmeal. Can buy it online or in stores
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Are you GF because f an allergy/intolerance/celiac? If you are, you might not be able to eat oats at all, so it might be best to try some and see what happens. Lots of people react to them like they do to gluten. If you are GF by choice, then enjoy your oats :)
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    They don't know if its contaminated so they can't label it. If wheat was grown one year, and then oats the next, it is possible that wheat would pop up in the oat field. It's just safer for you to buy the Certified gluten free.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Some celiacs react to oats as well as gluten containing grains. I can't eat anything from the grain family, including oats, corn, rice, etc.

But there are still other options for hot cereal - buckwheat or quinoa flakes (or cracked/whole), amaranth, some people have even claimed that cauliflower makes a nice hot cereal....
  • MelanieChristina
    MelanieChristina Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I use Only Oats: http://avenafoods.com/only-oats-products/
    They have a few different options for oats and oat products, all of which are gluten free!
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Two years ago at the CDF conference, oats were announced safe for the vast majority of people with Celiac (something around 80%). They did emphasize that they must be certified gluten-free oats (the risk of cross-contamination is extremely high otherwise), and they said to proceed with caution. If you haven't been gluten-free for a year yet, wait. Then add oats to your diet slowly -- they said 1/4 cup/day max to start.

I am not a doctor, but I do believe I am accurately representing what doctors shared at the conference. I would advise you to run it by your doctor before trying it based on my or anyone else's advise on here.

I seem to tolerate GF oats well, but I eat them infrequently and in small doses.
  • SarahRose35
    SarahRose35 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I buy Gluten-Free Oats from an Amish store a couple towns away. I live in a rural area, so I'm not sure what you have access to.
    Like a couple others said, some people can't stand any kind of oats.
  • Crohns2013
    Crohns2013 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person. I made the mistake of trying a tiny bite of granola bar I was making my kids (with certified GF oats) and suffered all the next day, but others have no problems with them at all.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    've just tried 'gluten free' oats and its a no go - no stomach problems but asthma went off the scale.

The info I read is that not to try them for at least six months after going on a g/f diet and then give them a go.

Here is some useful advice:

http://www.coeliac.org.uk/healthcare-professionals/diet-information/oats-in-the-gluten-free-diet
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Have you tried quinoa? I sometimes make extra at supper time and then for breakfast I add fruit, milk/yogurt, seeds/nuts and brown sugar like you might with oatmeal. I think it makes a decent porridge. The red seeds are a little more nutty than the regular white varieties.
  • lkirschner1
    Options
    I love quinoa and eat it for breakfast all the time, especially in the winter. I also make a big batch like CorlissaEats and have it on hand to make lunch bowls (add some kind of veggie and a protein plus GF soy sauce or seasoning) or as a side with dinner. I wnat to try this quinoa recipe from the Food Network's Chef Aarti, who is gluten free: http://www.aartipaarti.com/2010/05/11/going-gluten-free/
  • lkirschner1
    Options
    She says it's a good alternative to oatmeal (but not to think about it as an oatmeal substitute or you will be disappointed). Sounds yummy!
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    technically, they are GF. Their protein structure is differently enough from that of wheat, rye and barely so that it doesn't cause the same reaction. There is a bigger cross contamination risk, so you should eat oats that say they are GF. Bob's red mill is pretty readily available, although I eat quaker all the time and I don't notice any issues.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

I get that things can be contaminated, but to me, if anything with gluten isn't listed on the box, it doesn't contain gluten. I try not to even really eat so much processed or boxed anything as it is, but I'm not one that can give up cereal or anything as a whole either.

If your oats are not specifically labeled as gluten free, then there is a strong probability that they contain a significant amount of wheat, from being grown in the same fields that have previously been used to grow wheat, or from being processed in a facility that processes wheat. It's much easier to get GF oats than it is to be sick. If GF oats aren't available where you live, you can order them online. It's worth having foods around that you like to eat.