New here

Hi all, I have discovered that I have a gluten intolerance just by reading the symptoms of it and have several of the major ones... brain fog, digestive issues, mood issues (anxiety and never had issues with it until recently), feeling off balance/dizziness, and swelling in joints.

I went off of gluten in May and had great success with it and then life happened. I had a lot of stuff to do, went to grab and go food. Now, things have settled down and now I am having trouble getting back off of it. I will crave it, grab it and eat it knowing how I am going to feel afterwards. I know what it does but yet...still eat it. My husband knows what it does to me, so when I make dinner, if I sub rice for quinoa for example, he gets kinda hurt that I didn't make him rice. I am not a short order cook lol. I know basically what to eat and not to eat, but the gluten free selection at my store is small and high priced. There is another store but right now, their prices are out of my range.

Also, we are living at my parents house (hubby has just started working again and will be moving soon) and the kitchen is tiny. So for me to spread out and make my snacks and stuff that I want is out of the question along with them having only a window unit for AC and when you heat up the oven, it heats the whole house. My plan is after we move, to start making my own snacks, gluten free breads and such but right now, what can I do to work my way back off of gluten. I have been buying more fresh fruit so I have a healthy snack. Trying to kick the gluten habit and soda habit (another story of itself) is hard for me to do when I am not getting much support from my hubby or my son (11). That's why I am here in this group. Maybe yall can help me.

Replies

• lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Those were the exact same symptoms that I had before getting diagnosed.

It is just straight out important that get you stop eating gluten. Just eat fruits and veggies and meat.... that is what I did when I first started.

If you need convenience foods keep a bag of carrots and some hummus.... or corn chips and salsa. Potato chips are gluten free if you want to go down that road (yeah... I like that road)/

Start with baby steps and you will be 100% gluten free before you know it!
  • nancik1
    nancik1 Posts: 24
    Yeah I like that potato chip road too. I am starting to get back on track. Today (its only 4pm) so far I haven't had any.
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    It is hard. I need to eat gluten free but where I live it is hard to find much and it isn't that cheap. And life happens and I end up eating it. Just baby steps. I try to make what I can when I can on cooler days or early in the morning when it isn't that hot. And then I freeze it. Muffins, cookies, bread whatever. Then just microwave it to thaw or take a few out and put in the fridge. And when I travel to a larger city I always for stores where I can get gluten free products. Especially my favorite pasta and then I buy several bags.

For now I say try to stay with the fresh fruit, veg, and meat route. When you can bake check out gluten free goddess website. She has a lot of great stuff. Even my husband who should eat gluten free but doesn't want to eat healthy tasteless stuff love the things I have made from there. And he loves my gluten free pasta cause it doesn't get all mushy like the other ones it still has the texture of regular pasta. I just don't tell him the difference and he doesn't notice.

Hang in there and just do the best you can each day.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Tough when you're in a shared household. But your health will be better if you do as others say, and stick to whole, naturally gluten free foods. If it gets cool enough in the late evening to cook, then throw some potatoes, sweet potato, squash, etc. in the oven and just let it cook, then you have it handy later. You can try a crockpot or rice cooker (put them on the back porch if they get too hot) for other meals too. Cook ahead whenever it is cool, and don't worry about missing out on breads, etc. You'll be okay without them. If you are okay with corn, throw some corn tortillas in the freezer and hard shelled tortillas in the cupboard, and you've got something if you want a quick wrap.