Trying to lose weight for my wedding.

Options
Hello, I am new on here and really in need of some good advice. I have been diagnosed last year with PCOS but not really explained just how difficult it would be to try and lose weight. I started last year in November eating clean slipping occasionally but majority of the time doing well and exercising most days of the week really pushing myself. My wedding has been my main motivation, now 3 months out and I've managed to lose a kilo here and there and cms off my measurements but nothing compared to what the others in my group have achieved. It's very hard to remain motivated at times. I was hoping maybe someone knew of work out routines that were effective or maybe eating specific things I'm not sure. All I can tell you is I don't really have anyone around me in the same situation who can offer advice here. I have cut sugar out except obviously "good sugars" like fruit. And I have cut junk food. I figured after a few months my body would start to get with the program but maybe I treated it that badly it's taking much longer.

Replies

• WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    Options
    Congratulations on your up coming wedding! That's great! Were you given any kind of medication like Metformin? Check out some of the PCOS websites they may help you there are also some PCOS books that are good as well. Most of us can't follow the same kind of diet plan as women without PCOS our bodies work differently and it is frustrating.

Good Luck! You can add me if you'd like.
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Hey!
    Congrads on your wedding.
    In my experience "good sugars" are still sugars (according to my body). A lot of people have good results cutting fruit and just keeping vegetables. Also try going low carbs. Everyone has a magic number (100g, 50g, <30g). The weird part that really got a lot of my weight off was weight lifting (12-15 reps, 3 sets, not super heavy). I'd do cardio like Zumba for fun 3-4 times a week.
    My vitamin regimen is pretty hard core but I didn't want to loose weight with meds. Cinnamon, Chromium, Biotin, Selenium, multi-vitamin, and Omega 3-6-9 fish oil I'm curious to see how it all goes!
  • Angelicscarrs
    Options
    Hey
    thank you :) I'm very excited
    no I haven't been given any medication from my doctor I think she is really trying to see what I can do on my own. I have been given a specific kind of pill and that's been helping a bit to regulate me. I am really trying to do my research and I'm so far coming up with some good stuff. Yeah maybe cutting out the amount of fruit might help. I should give that a go. I suppose maybe just finding a whole bunch of these plans and finding the right balancing act is the best I can do for now. I've been taking a lot of vitamins myself and adding a lot more herbs into my cooking. So super multi-vitamin, fish oil caps, chia seeds, cinnamon etc is just some I'm using regularly. Metabolism was pretty shot to start out with but I've noticed with eating smaller meals more regularly it's making a difference. It just helps to know im not alone in my frustration and that both of you which have commented have made such awesome losses so far. :) thank you I will definitely continue my research and add you!
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Hi. Congrats on your wedding! I just got married in January so I know how it is for you right now lol! I was eating similarly to you for around 5 years and still slowly gained weight so great job actually losing!! I started eating low carb though and I have not only been losing weight pretty quickly (compared to gaining as I was before I guess) but I feel so much better. All my other symptoms are becoming better. Maybe you can check out this community: http://www.reddit.com/r/xxketo/ for some ideas. I still really react to "good sugars" and once I cut them out I started feeling immensely better! Good luck!
  • Angelicscarrs
    Options
    Thank you! Yeah since the comments I have been reading up a lot on low carb foods and plans to follow. I have been clean eating which may be why I managed to lose because there is no cheating and my exercise has been atleast 5-6 days a week so maybe I just got really lucky. I do have an excessive amount to lose for my height. But since you have had luck with low carb I think I will definately look into following a low carb or cutting most carbs out of my diet as it seems to be the
    Most effective I have read.
  • amberrea82
    amberrea82 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Congrats hun! How exciting!! Just to kinda echo what the others said, carbs are evil! LOL Well not all, I guess I should clarify. If you can stay away from anything refined, you'll do well. I cut out a lot of sugars, pop, white bread, white pasta/rice..can't say no to the taters though! I'd be a very terrible Irish girl if I did. :) I had a lot of luck on soulcysters.com in the past. I made so many great friends and I can talk to them about absolutely everything. It's a long road, but we're walking it together! :)
  • Angelicscarrs
    Options
    Thank you I am getting very very excited, awesome I will have to look them up that's great. Yeah I can cut all the rest but not the potatoes completely I'd cry lol!! It is nice knowing I'm not a lone.