How to account for extra calories needed for breastfeeding?

Options
Hello,

Does anyone know how to account for the extra calories needed for breastfeeding? I have heard different things such as 500 calories per day or 30 calories for every ounce. Let me know what you are using!

Thanks

Replies

• kmm97a
    kmm97a Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I count 200 calories a day because that's on the low end of the scale, so if I burn more, then great!
  • TheJamLady
    TheJamLady Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I wondered the same thing after my youngest was born. I add -500 for EBFing to my food journal as that's how most folks seemed to be counting it.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Yup, I do -500 for my EBFing (my son is 2 months, so no solids). I thought it was 20 calories/ounce, though.
  • laurab1217
    laurab1217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I also add -500 for breastfeeding, plus 20/ounce for whatever I pump first thing in the morning. I read somewhere that the "500" estimate already has slow weight loss built in (that calorie burn is actually 150-200 calories more which should allow you to lose weight slowly by not changing your supply). 200 would be more for someone whose baby is eating mostly solids.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I also add -500 for breastfeeding, plus 20/ounce for whatever I pump first thing in the morning. I read somewhere that the "500" estimate already has slow weight loss built in (that calorie burn is actually 150-200 calories more which should allow you to lose weight slowly by not changing your supply). 200 would be more for someone whose baby is eating mostly solids.

That's smart if you are providing all or most of your baby's food! I don't pump every day, but I do usually about twice a week, and I still nurse the rest of the day. I would know exactly how many ounces I am getting, plus I am still getting the -500 for what I'm feeding otherwise.
  • brandiroyal54
    brandiroyal54 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I add -300 for nursing because my baby now eats a few solids :)