Running in a WOD

Options
Pretty much just venting about how awful running is. I know it's something that I need to work on and I don't try to avoid it when I see it in a WOD but it makes me so angry because it slows me down. Today was 3 rounds: 800m run, 30 pull ups, 15 push jerks with a cap time of 30 minutes. I couldn't finish in 30 minutes because of the running. RUNNING SUCKS!!

Replies

• georgie304
    georgie304 Posts: 143
    Options
    Agreed. Running sucks.

And as you know... You are getting better and stronger and faster! :smile:
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's entire WOD was running. The whole. stupid. thing. And I've been sidelined from running indefinitely due to knee issues. I did 1 round anyway and I'm paying for it today. Stupid running.
  • marci2lip
    marci2lip Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I started Crossfit in 2009 and HATED RUNNING. Every running WOD (and even the warm-up) killed me. I ended up having to leave my gym due to a change of work locations and ended up quitting altogether. Fast forward to this year when I lost the weight I gained since quitting and started a running program. I was running 3 or so miles 3x/wk and then started back at CrossFit. It is so much easier to do the running WODS going into this as a runner than it was before. It's like CrossFit and running are opposing forces. Since I've been back in the box (only five weeks or so), my running has taken a complete dive. The first two weeks, my legs hurt so bad I could barely take the stairs, let alone run!

I'm sure none of you would be interested in my box's WOD for tomorrow:

1 mi. run
    10 rope climbs
    1 mi. run
    100 burpees.

Unfortunately I won't be able to make it in tomorrow. Or is it fortunately... :noway:
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I can't get through a 400m without stopping, but I'm getting better. I just thoroughly loathe running. It's like my brain has NO distraction while I'm running, which means all I can think about is how much I'm dying. :grumble:
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i hate running, but i do it in the wods any how. the other day i walked in and the wod? 5k run (ours aren't posted- no cherry picking!) i was pretty impressed that i sucked it up and ran that 5k in under 31 minutes. boom. slow and steady, just focus on moving at a pace you can stick with whether its running or power walking or a combo of both :)
  • LadyEm06
    LadyEm06 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I started crossfit 3 weeks ago... the running doesn't bother me so much, but a question: the scale hasn't moved, and if anything it's ticked up slightly. I'm not a crossfit superstar, but I know enough about fitness, the little tears in your muscles when you start a new workout and the water retention. So, I know it's normal to gain a little when you start fresh. But, at what point should I expect to go back to my regular .5 to 1.5 lb losses each week? It is 4 weeks or like 12 weeks before I should start seeing losses again?

And, I know the scale is not the only thing I should be using. I started measurements this morning, too, so that should help from a motivation perspective. But, lets be real - we all want to see that scale tick down... ok, well at least I do.
  • fakeittomakeit
    fakeittomakeit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I was running before starting crossfit and was able to run 3-5 miles 4-5 times a week. I don't have a problem running in WODS, it's just that my pace is SO much slower. I'm used to slow and steady. ;o) LadyEm, I started about 6 weeks ago (did my 30th workout today!) and I have not lost a single ounce. However, my arms are getting cut, my waistline is slimmer and my legs are way more toned. I have decided to stay away from the scale because I know I'm working hard and getting results, but the scale has a way of playing with my head.
  • Ichigo2012
    Ichigo2012 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This is one of the stickers on the back of my car:

0_0_non_runner_oval_stickers-rdfcdaf98d6f44222b3ef0580bf7e6ac2_v9wz7_8byvr_512.jpg
  • ortega1990
    ortega1990 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    funny because today's WOD is four rounds of running 400 meters - blah! I wasn't planning on going tonight anyway. :tongue: I think I'd rather do burpees than run.

The thing is that I do run/jog outside of xfit but just don't like it in WOD. Maybe it's because I can run anytime - why spend precious WOD time running?
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    I'm trying to work on my running, but I struggle when they put the running in WOD's. Running is still pretty hard for me, so the running wears me out and it makes it harder to complete the other lifts and moves.

Today's WOD is run one mile, followed by an AMRAP of Box Jumps and Hang squat snatch... all with a 15 minute cap. It takes me 11-12 minutes to run a mile, so I guess I won't be getting much else in. : )
  • GttnITtgthr
    Options
    It appears that I am not alone.
    I do not run for fun, never have. But I hate that I am so bad at it.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I ran 6-8 miles/day for 4 years in the Army, plus quarterly, 15 mile road marches in full combat kit with a 4 hour time cap. I'm done running. Running kills my WOD times so bad it makes me look pathetic on the board. If I'm not feeling the run (or if I forgot my running shoes) I'll ask the coach for a rowing substitution. Rowing is harder than running anyway.

BTW, If you are 200+, Nano 2's are the worst running shoe LOL. No cushion at all. I know they aren't runners, but even for a 400m they suck.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    This is one of the stickers on the back of my car:

0_0_non_runner_oval_stickers-rdfcdaf98d6f44222b3ef0580bf7e6ac2_v9wz7_8byvr_512.jpg

^^^ THIS ^^^
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I started crossfit 3 weeks ago... the running doesn't bother me so much, but a question: the scale hasn't moved, and if anything it's ticked up slightly. I'm not a crossfit superstar, but I know enough about fitness, the little tears in your muscles when you start a new workout and the water retention. So, I know it's normal to gain a little when you start fresh. But, at what point should I expect to go back to my regular .5 to 1.5 lb losses each week? It is 4 weeks or like 12 weeks before I should start seeing losses again?

And, I know the scale is not the only thing I should be using. I started measurements this morning, too, so that should help from a motivation perspective. But, lets be real - we all want to see that scale tick down... ok, well at least I do.

Have you bumped up your calories to support adding CF? I've been doing CF for a month and am down 4 lbs - and a TON of inches. And a clothing size. But I had to up my calories! My body locks down like Ft Knox when I exercise if I don't eat enough.
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options

Have you bumped up your calories to support adding CF? I've been doing CF for a month and am down 4 lbs - and a TON of inches. And a clothing size. But I had to up my calories! My body locks down like Ft Knox when I exercise if I don't eat enough.

All of this. Yes.
  • LadyEm06
    LadyEm06 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I wear a HRM during CF and eat back, on average 50% of what it says I burn as I'm afraid my HRM is over estimating. But, maybe I need to eat back even more. Like I mentioned, I only started measurements yesterday. I'm going to give myself 90 days of CF (not even a full month in yet) to see results before I make any drastic changes to my diet. I don't think I've been doing it long enough to see any non-scale changes yet.
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    Today's wod has running which should be start with a mile run then 21-15-9 of overhead lunges and burpees
  • littlelawson83
    Options
    I HATE running too, I'm really bad at it and always say that I wasn't built for speed ;) But having said all of that, after crossfitting for 9 months now, I appreciate the running WODs! Don't get me wrong, I hate them but I can feel/see my improvement. I'm still not very good (prob won't ever be!) but I hate it less and less each time and it forces me to face something I would never do otherwise.

Don't worry about your WOD timing, each time you do it you'll get better and better and then you'll be under the time cap :) Good luck.