Should I get this bike?

http://archive.fujibikes.com/archivebikes.php?prodid=813&prodname=Finest 2.0

I have an older fuji right now : https://store.bicycleczar.com/47cm-Vintage-FUJI-Club-Fuji-12-Speed-Touring-p/02130108.htm

Will this ride better/ similar to what I already have?

Does this have the gear shifters near the brakes?

Replies

• emaren
    emaren Posts: 934 Member
    The ride will be 'harsher', Alloy frames are lighter, but personally I dislike the way that the ride - your vintage Fuji is steel and is fairly springy and really rather nice to ride.

The shifters are combined with the brakes on the new one.

If this is the only reason you want to change, I'd spend money on the old one - new integrated shifters can be had for $100 or so and all you need then is a $4 downtube adjuster device.

Love the Vintage, the new one is merely 'OK'
  • OLeoLionessO
    OLeoLionessO Posts: 152
    The ride will be 'harsher', Alloy frames are lighter, but personally I dislike the way that the ride - your vintage Fuji is steel and is fairly springy and really rather nice to ride.

The shifters are combined with the brakes on the new one.

If this is the only reason you want to change, I'd spend money on the old one - new integrated shifters can be had for $100 or so and all you need then is a $4 downtube adjuster device.

Love the Vintage, the new one is merely 'OK'

I love it too just getting to be a rough ride and i really hate having my gears on the frame.
  • Dahamac
    Dahamac Posts: 213 Member
    The lugged-steel fuji is a rough ride? Do you mean rough as in a lot of felt road vibrations and bumps? IMO, the Steel Fuji should be riding like a Cadillac.

I'd like to know where to get those $100 integrated shifters. Unless the reference is to "bar-end" shifters and I did this conversion to a 1983 Schwinn and loved the ride of the bike except it was to big for me. (In fact, I loved everything except that I flexed the frame when standing on the pedals and most importantly I couldn't stand up on my feet without leaning the bike which caused several near falls). That '83 Schwinn was smoothest riding bike I've had to date.

I also have an Alloy (aluminium) frame 2010 Schwinn LeTour and until I had the bike shop put a Carbon fork on the bike the ride was intolerably harsh on all but the smoothest of blacktops. Between the Carbon fork and a Brooks saddle, the alloy Bike is now comfortable enough to enjoy riding.

Of course my 2010 LeTour is an 8-Speed and I want upgrade the integrated shifters to a better quality but so far I've had no luck in finding the necessary parts so the only option appears to be upgrading the entire groupset for about $700.

The moral of my long-winded story. You need a budget of about $1000.00 to get into a nice road bike or you can buy a cheaper bike and spend more money to get it where you want. Currently my $500 Schwinn is up to about $1000 what with the upgraded wheels, the Brooks saddle, and the Carbon fork. BTW, I spent about $500 on upgrading the $125 '83 Schwinn to dropbars and bar end shifters.
  • emaren
    emaren Posts: 934 Member
    Cheap integrated Shifters 3x9

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1080516_-1_400194__400194

They are currently $139 - On saturday you could take 25% off that - so $104.25

I've been running a set on a bike for about 18 months and they work great.

Or if you are 2x8

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-ST-2300-Shifter-Brake-Lever/dp/B0038EI5K2

Currently $112

Housing stop adapter

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Housing-Stop-Down-Tube/dp/B001JH9KUY/

I got some no-name-brand ones for $4 from a bike store in Long beach a while ago.

Again, if the issue is simply the location of the shifters, look for a bargain set of shifters that match your gearing.

If the issues is rough gears, or rough bearings, these things are an easy fix.

Aluminum frames are hella harsh compared that that luscious lugged steel frame......
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    i like a rough ride.
  • Dahamac
    Dahamac Posts: 213 Member
    emaren, thanks for the link to the microshifts.. I had looked at performance several times but not at those shifters.

Sounds as though I could change those shifters and my 8-speed cassette and chain to 9-speed for < $300. Me likes that idea.
  • allenhandley
    allenhandley Posts: 134 Member
    First of all, love the Fuji you have now. It is sweet spot in my heart for older road bikes. I now ride a Giant OCR but wish I had kept my old Trek T1000.

Now for my 2 cents. There are a few differences and upgrades. The newer has triple chain ring, which is good for climbing and a 9 speed rear cassette, making it a 27 speed compared to 12. The brakes and shifters are together and can be easily changed out as mentioned before. Components are definite upgrade The frame is aluminum with carbon fork which will make it lighter and relitevly smoother ride. Think the wheel set would be better also.

That being said, It becomes a money issue. If you can afford it and want a new bike, I say go for it and enjoy. Hope this helps you in your decision. Let us know.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    I like the way your older Fuji looks, too. If the new bike will keep you intersted in riding, than, hell yes you should buy it!
    My current FUJI has an Al frame and carbon fork, it replaced an all steel older fuji. At first I liked the way the bike felt...it felt "alive" compared to my old bike...then I got weary of the smashing and crashing over bumps...either i got used to it, or the bike softened a little after 1000 miles, or both..but i am used to how sharp and precise it feels, and when I get on my old steel bike, it feels like it is half asleep.
  • thekarens
    thekarens Posts: 254 Member
    Have you ridden the new bike? The proof is in the pudding as they say. I personally love steel. I have a Jamis Quest. My partner prefers carbon and I do know some people who prefer alloy/aluminum, so get on the new bike and give it a long test ride to see which you prefer. What you prefer is all that counts, doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.