Eating on a budget

Options
Toshamullins
Toshamullins Posts: 9 Member
I am having a hard time finding healthy snacks and food for a family of four on a budget. Most weeks I only have around 100 dollars to pay for a full weeks worth of food. if anyone has any advice I greatly appreciate it.

Replies

• chad_phillips1123
    chad_phillips1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...I don't know about feeding a whole family healthily, but I am on a slim budget. So my suggestions would be eggs, pasta (wheat/whole grain), veggies (not actually sure if canned is cheaper than fresh, but its less work to cook canned veggies), greek yogurt (little costy, but they can be very filling...Nostimo is the cheapest around me), and nuts.

Basically look for things that aren't calorically dense, that are filling, and within your budget. Also portion control can help stretch some.
  • Nurse_Christy
    Nurse_Christy Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Do you have an Aldi's near you? I get most of my groceries there pretty cheaply.
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Coupons, and the farmer's market........Check out www.southernsavers.com. I was able to buy a whole weeks worth of veggies for lunch, dinner, heck, even breakfast for $15.00 a few weeks ago. Nothing better than veggies picked fresh from the farm that day/week. I also shop Aldi's and I shop sales. So, we eat what is on sale. Processed food is extremely expensive. I made a taco soup for about $6.00 and I ate it all week for lunch. Of course, I don't care about eating the same thing everyday. And it makes it easy for me to pack my lunch. No questions about what I am taking. Good luck and it can be done.