RECIPES for WLS Success

Options
I would like to start a new thread because I couldn't find one on recipe sharing for WLS. Anyway I will start with a super simple one and would encourage anyone to post their favorites to help each other out in this crazy journey! I will pull some of my stuff over the next couple of days and post them here. If anyone knows of another group or place where this already exists let me know! Thanks!

My favorite protein is the Unjury brand. It tastes so normal but I imagine you could use any chocolate protein powder.

I mix 1 scoop of Unjury Chocolate Splendor and 1 cup of Chobani Vanilla Greek Yogurt and it tastes kinda like cheesecake. It is heaven and provides a whopping 35 grams of protein!

Replies

• reneemosley
    reneemosley Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My favorite is mini egg muffins

Sautee onion and whatever veggies you like
    add a meat (ham, turkey taco meat, smoked salmon, cooked chicken)
    your favorite shredded cheese
    6-8 eggs or whites
    bake in mini muffin tins @350 for 15 minutes
    makes about 24 and 2-3 is a meal

My family loves them also and they are HANDY.
  • Rief3
    Rief3 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I like to make this when feeling for oldies but goodies type of foods:
    Grilled Cheese:

2slices of Aunt Millie's Whole Wheat light 70cal for 2 Slices 5g protein
    1 baby bel light 50 cal 6g protein
    1 alouette Sharp Cheddar(portions) 40 cal 2g protein
    1 alouette Garlic & Herb(portions) 40 cal 2g protein

Spray butter or butter flavor PAM ( one side of each slice of bread)

Grill in non stick pan or other grill appliance

200 cal and 15 protein
  • k9qt
    k9qt Posts: 16
    Options
    Love the egg muffins! Another option is with the crumbled real bacon bits added! I pop have in the freezer and half in the fridge and I noticed I can even eat them cold!
  • k9qt
    Options
    Zucchini Egg Frittatas

1 small zucchini (shredded with a cheese grater)
    1 cup of eggs or egg whites
    1T onion salt

Mix all together and then scoop like pancake batter onto a preheated skillet. You can make a bunch of small ones to keep in fridge and they taste great cold too!

You can also pour into muffin tins for another variation on egg bakes.
  • k9qt
    Options
    For me, one thing that has helped a lot is always having a few staples with me at all times. It was very easy for me to get caught up in the protein bars and what not and I noticed most of my stalls were during times when my calories were low, fiber was low and sugars were high. I ALWAYS have on hand Oh Boy OBertos BBQ Pork Jerky and different flavored blue diamond Almonds (my favorite is the Sweet BBQ Habenero). When I buy them I weigh out a serving and bag them all in individual snack sized zip lock bags and there is always 2 of each in my purse. That way if I ever get hungry I am "snacking" on protein without the high sugar. I know this isn't perfect by any means but it works for me when I don't have access to veggies and prevents me from going anywhere to get something I might regret!
  • reneemosley
    Options
    And another EASY favorite

Creamy crockpot chicken

1 bag Trader joes frozen chicken breast (2Lbs)
    1 Pkt good seasonings Italian dressing mix
    1 block of cream cheese

place chicken and dressing mix in crockpot before work on low. 1/2 hour before finish add cream cheese and stir to "shred" chicken and mix cream cheese thoroughly.

My family also loves this. I make them rice and I serve mine over baby spinach.
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options

Creamy crockpot chicken

1 block of cream cheese

place chicken and dressing mix in crockpot before work on low. 1/2 hour before finish add cream cheese and stir to "shred" chicken and mix cream cheese thoroughly.

Are you adding any liquid to the crockpot with the chicken and seasonings mix?
  • k9qt
    Options
    :happy: Missie's Super Protein Salad:smile:
    It is a hybrid of Costco's Quinoa Salad and QFC's Perfect Protein Salad. It really tastes wonderful and is worth all the prep time! Need to make ahead of time as it is a bit time intensive but will yield at least 24 half cup servings. There may be a better way to do this but I am not a cook. It takes me forever to do anything! It lasts all week though! Making it again tonight with these new measurements so if anything changes I will update this immediately!

Nutritional Information
    Should make (24) 1/2 cup servings if I figured it out right. If not I will update as soon as I finish making it this weekend.
    Serving size = 1/2 cup
    Calories 149
    Carbs 20
    Fat 3
    Protein 10
    Sodium 68
    Sugar 3

Ingredients (you don't have to have all the beans and what not but it adds to the protein which is why I use it all):

Hard Red Spring Wheat Berries 1/2 cup dry (these will need to soak overnight)
    Red Lentils, 1/2 cup dry
    Rainbow Quinoa, 1/2 cup dry (Only need to soak 30 minutes)
    Red Quinoa 1/2 cup dry (Only need to soak 30 minutes)
    French Green Lentils 1/2 cup dry
    Raw Sunflower Seeds 1/2 cup
    Garbanzo Beans 1 can (drained_
    Fava Beans 1 can (drained)
    Shelled Edamame 1 cup (thawed if frozen)
    2% Lowfat Cottage Cheese, 1 cup

1 Cucumber finely chopped
    2 Roma Tomatos finely diced (remove seeds and mushy part)
    Chives 4 tbsp diced
    Parsley Raw 1 cup
    Fresh Dill 1/2 cup
    Carrots 1/2c finely chopped
    Celery 1/2c finely chopped
    Red, Yellow, or Green (or all 3) Bell Pepper 1/2c finely chopped
    Fresh Cilantro Chopped, 1/4 c

Fage Greek Yogurt - Total 0 % 1 cup (substituted for Mayonnaise to increase protein)
    Apple Cider Vinegar, 1/2 cup

Cover the wheat berries in 2" water and soak for 12hours or overnight. Can mix the 2 Quinoa together and soak for 15-30 minutes while dicing and chopping all your other ingredients. One the Quinoa and Wheat berries are finished soaking you want to rinse them for 2-3 minutes until the water runs clear.

WHEAT BERRIES:
    1/2 cup of wheat berries to 1 3/4 cup of water, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour (remove from heat and rinse in cold water to stop the cooking process. Set aside.

LENTILS (can use either red or green, green stay firmer):
    Rinse in cold water until water runs clear. Bring 3/4 cup of water to a boil, add 1/2 cup of lentils, boil for 2-3 minutes and reduce to a simmer. Simmer Green lentils for 40 minutes, red lentils for 25 minutes. Remove from heat and rinse in cold water to stop cooking.

QUINOA:
    Add 1 cup of Quinoa (1/2 cup rainbow and 1/2 cup red is my preference) to 1 1/4 cups of water and bring to a simmer, reduce to low, cover and cook for 30-35 minutes. Remove from heat and rinse in cold water to stop the cooking. Not sure if this next step is necessary but they say to cool the Quinoa on a rimmed cookie sheet by spreading it out and tossing. Cool at room temp or in the fridge.

DRESSING:
    Add the Greek yogurt (Mayo if you prefer) and vinegar together and whisk well. This will be the dressing. Add salt and pepper to taste and set aside.

SALAD:
    Mix all the other ingredients together in a large mixing bowl and stir well. At this time you can pour the dressing and mix it all together and then place in single serving dishes to use throughout the week but I noticed last time that it was a little soggy by day 6 so next time I am going to divide the salad in half and put dressing on only 1/2 of it and dish it up. Then before I dish up the other half later in the week I will put the rest of the dressing on it. Hopefully that will help.
  • k9qt
    Options
    I have to add this as well. This website has some great ideas on foods especially the muffin pan meals!

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2009/10/party-time-confetti-bites.html
  • LeesaHart47
    LeesaHart47 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My version of chicken enchilada........

1.5 oz shredded grilled chicken (I grill up a few tenders for a few days and use for meals) put on microwave plate
    1/2 slice 2% kraft peperjack cheese break up over chicken
    Microwave 20 seconds
    than I spread 1 tsp of FF sour cream

103 calories and 17 gr protein, 2 carbs and so good!
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I haven't plugged this into the Recipe builder on MFP, nor have I made this since WLS, but I think it would be a good possibility. The 8 "good" servings would probably be closer to 16 to 20 the way DW and I are eating now.

Ingredients:

4 tsp Olive Oil

1 medium red onion, diced

5 cups garden squash (3 cups zucchini, 2 cups yellow) - diced or sliced (I diced the big ones.)

minced garlic to taste

1 can of corn drained

1 can of beans (black or pinto) washed and drained.

1.5 to 2 cups diced tomatoes (I used garden fresh, 4 medium sized - 3 Better Girl and one Yellow, and one smaller Better Girl.)

Green Chile's - Canned is fine, I used roasted Hatch and diced it myself.

Seasoning to taste, Oregano, Marjoram, other Mexican type spices.

You may also add meat if desired. Without it makes a good vegetarian dish, or a side dish.

Heat on medium - medium high, 2 tsp olive oil in a large deep frying pan.

Add the diced onion and cook about 5 minutes until starting to soften.

Add the chopped garlic and saute another 2 minutes.

Add the sliced squash and the remainder of the olive oil. Saute about 7 minutes turning often.

Add the diced tomatoes, corn, and beans.

Cover and steam/simmer - the vegetables will add their own water to the mix as they cook down. 5 minutes.

Add the diced green Chile and spices and mix well.

If desired, add the pre-cooked meat (I added about 10 oz of roasted chicken.)

Cover and let cook on medium low heat another 10 minutes.

This made 8 good servings.

I ended up having to add some cheese to cut the heat of the chile, but it was very tasty.

NI with meat for the entire pan
    Calories - 1520
    Fat - 45g
    Fiber - 45g
  • karensdream
    karensdream Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    ^^ This., I would also add Bariatric Foodie as another good resource. Tons of recipes and good advice!
  • k9qt
    Options
    ^^ This., I would also add Bariatric Foodie as another good resource. Tons of recipes and good advice!

Awesome thank you! Lots of good stuff......
  • reneemosley
    Options

Creamy crockpot chicken

1 block of cream cheese

Are you adding any liquid to the crockpot with the chicken and seasonings mix?

Nope frozen chicken has a lot as it is.
  • haterhaze
    haterhaze Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • losinit4evermore
    losinit4evermore Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you for starting this. I am just starting to add regular food to my diet, sleeved 9/9/2013 and this is very helpful. I need to keeep adding things as my dietian wants me to add more calories. First time in my life someone has told me that!